In an attemp ---> confusion regarding parallelism

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.
A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides
B. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean for providing
C. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and providing
D. farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides

This question was discussed earlier but still unclear so posting again.

OA is D, but i have following confusion:

The second part after AND i believe is logically associated with "a prototype of a submersible oyster farm" NOT with the FIRM. In simpler words its the FARM that provides NOT "a firm in Scotland" that provides...now for this to be correct i think after AND the word THAT should be there in op D, to clearly indicate that the following part "provides..." is a part of the relative clause. Because the word that is missing i can elaborate the structure of Op D in this way

a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and [a firm in Scotland] provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.

so if u notice my issue is that the part after AND should be a part of relative clause (THAT) and thats why Op D has to be like this:

Modified Op D

a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and THAT ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.

Here THAT will clearly refer to "oyster farm" which is logical i think. Please clear, m i interpreting the wrong logical meaning or there is something wrong with my parallelism concept???
Last edited by atulmangal on Sat May 21, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 pm
THIS QUESTION IS NOT FROM GMAT PREP...EARLIER I MENTIONED IN MY POST THAT THIS QUESTION IS FROM GMAT PREP AS I MIS-READ SOMEWHERE....SORRY FOR THAT WRONG INFORMATION
Last edited by atulmangal on Sat May 21, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 am
atulmangal wrote:Opps...i got where i was going wrong....sorry guys...anyways u can practice this question..
Hi Atul,

I don't feel that we require another "that" after "and" in option D as present option D is fine because option D is refering to "oyster farm that sits below and provides"

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 am
aspirant2011 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:Opps...i got where i was going wrong....sorry guys...anyways u can practice this question..
Hi Atul,

I don't feel that we require another "that" after "and" in option D as present option D is fine because option D is refering to "oyster farm that sits below and provides"
Actually its a bit tricky thing, here THAT is acting as a PRONOUN only, if THAT was stating a relative clause in that case we must use THAT after AND, in other words u can say we follow THAT / THAT parallelism.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 am
thanks a lot atul :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Fri May 20, 2011 9:51 am
atulmangal wrote: here THAT is acting as a PRONOUN only, if THAT was stating a relative clause in that case we must use THAT after AND, in other words u can say we follow THAT / THAT parallelism.
Hi Atul, curious to know if you really get this question on GMATPrep?

Actually that sits below the surface of the ocean is indeed a relative clause (that is used as a relative pronoun here; the other way that can be used is used, is as a conjunction).

Q#48 in OG12 is similar:

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the iliad, a work that ....and that literary critic...
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 am
EducationAisle wrote:
atulmangal wrote: here THAT is acting as a PRONOUN only, if THAT was stating a relative clause in that case we must use THAT after AND, in other words u can say we follow THAT / THAT parallelism.
Hi Atul, curious to know if you really get this question on GMATPrep?

Actually that sits below the surface of the ocean is indeed a relative clause (that is used as a relative pronoun here; the other way that can be used is used, is as a conjunction).

Q#48 in OG12 is similar:

In 1713, Alexander Pope began his translation of the iliad, a work that ....and that literary critic...
Hi Ashish,

Thanks for stepping in

I found this question in some question bank and when i searched on internet, i find some posts suggesting this question is from GMAT prep...so posted the same..

Ashish, can u please share your knowledge, how can i differentiate the word "THAT" acts as PRONOUN only or introducing a RELATIVE CLAUSE.

In this question, i initially thought that THAT is introducing RELATIVE CLAUSE and that's why post my doubt, but after that i thought as its an official question i might be wrong so stick to this alternate reasoning.

If THAT is introducing a relative clause here, m i correct about my doubt that i mentioned in my first post????

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Sat May 21, 2011 8:41 pm
Actually that, as used in this case is a relative pronoun and starts a clause (since there is a subject that and a verb sits). Hence it is a relative clause.

Yes, the question you had asked in your first post seems logical. Hence the reason I wanted to know whether this is really from GMATPrep.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat May 21, 2011 9:25 pm
EducationAisle wrote:Actually that, as used in this case is a relative pronoun and starts a clause (since there is a subject that and a verb sits). Hence it is a relative clause.

Yes, the question you had asked in your first post seems logical. Hence the reason I wanted to know whether this is really from GMATPrep.
Hi Ashish, this question is not from GMAT prep, i searched again and i think i mis-read somewhere that this question is from GMAT prep....sorry for the inconvenience...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun May 22, 2011 12:01 am
with answer (d) inserted:
atulmangal wrote:In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.
the "that" is not part of the parallel structure at all; the parallel structure exists between the two verbs.
the easiest way to see this parallelism is to note that the construction following "and" must be one of the two parallel structures, while the other parallel structure can be located anywhere that is logical. therefore, you should move from right to left when you locate parallel structures.

btw, this is the same sort of parallelism that's present here:
i sat in the chair and read a book for two hours.
again, parallelism between two verbs; you don't need to repeat the subject.

--

for more on this sort of thing, check out the MAY 13, 2010 lecture here:
https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sun May 22, 2011 4:41 am
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your post, having some problem with my browser so can't access the class you suggest rite now but i will definitely attend in night after re-installation. You suggest that even without THAT after AND, still the subject of the VERB "provides" is "oyster farm" NOT the "firm"...right??
One more question, i solved this GMAT - PREP question earlier, here is the question:

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

A. comes from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D. come from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they

The OA is Op D, I post my answer earlier in this same forum so copy pasting that same answer again, sir, please suggest m i incorrectly applying the parallelism concept for Op C here????

Op C: if u elaborate the structure

Most of the proposed health benefits of tea come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and [Most of the proposed health benefits of tea] inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

so if u notice the subject for the verb "inhibit" its clearly wrong...its the compounds that inhibit....

Op D: the word THAT after and is referring to COMPOUNDS using THAT and THAT parallelism...

Did, i applied wrong concept in dropping Op C???? Isn't the 2 questions (gmat prep one and given Q) are similar in structure??? If u find doubt is not genuine please remind me, i will attend the class first and then repost my understanding.

Thanks a lot, Regards
Atul

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon May 23, 2011 3:35 am
I just attended the video recording of Ron's lecture on parallelism and thus was curious to try to answer the question here. My intention is to apply my understanding from the lecture and get it evaluated from Ron while helping him to answer your question. Hope that sounds fine. :)

Op C: if u elaborate the structure

Most of the proposed health benefits of tea come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and [Most of the proposed health benefits of tea] inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

so if u notice the subject for the verb "inhibit" its clearly wrong...its the compounds that inhibit....
I believe yes.

Question rephrased with Option C:
Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants-compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

Paralellism indicator, AND. Since there is no indicator on the left side of hand, we have to move right to left to determine what parallels the non-underlined portion after 'and'.

Non-underlined portion after AND: inhibit the formation ...

so we have to scan the left side to AND to find a parallel structure of inhibit.

We see, come from antioxidants-compounds is parallel to inhibit the formation .... Since the subject of left part of and is health benefits it is also applicable to right part of AND and logically, health benefits cannot inhibit anything, thus C is wrong.
Op D: the word THAT after and is referring to COMPOUNDS using THAT and THAT parallelism...
Yes again.

Option D:
come from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that

Applying the same logic as above with AND being parallel indicator and moving from right to left we see that both parts of AND need word THAT because the RIGHT part contains the word THAT in option. This is similar to what you have said 'THAT and THAT parallelism'.

Moreover,

Here
activity 1, are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C is a characteristic of the compounds
,and
activity 2, inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels is another characteristic of compounds.

Since, while maintaining parallelism we have to make sure that the idea/activity that is given in supposed parallel parts of the sentence should convey the same thought.

Please correct me incase my understanding is improper.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon May 23, 2011 3:42 am
Isn't the 2 questions (gmat prep one and given Q) are similar in structure???
I am not sure whether the two question are similar or not, but I will post my working on question 1.

Please evaluate.

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.
A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides - it provides needs it sits.
Providing needs sitting
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides - it provides needs it sits.

Between B and D.

B has verb+ing, which is given less priority thus, D.

Please let me know if there is any strong reason for eliminating B.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon May 23, 2011 6:34 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:
Isn't the 2 questions (gmat prep one and given Q) are similar in structure???
I am not sure whether the two question are similar or not, but I will post my working on question 1.

Please evaluate.

A. farm, sitting below the surface of the ocean, and it provides - it provides needs it sits.
Providing needs sitting
E. farm that is sitting below the surface of the ocean and it provides - it provides needs it sits.

Between B and D.

B has verb+ing, which is given less priority thus, D.

Please let me know if there is any strong reason for eliminating B.
U mean in Op D, the structure is parallel because in Op D

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that sits below the surface of the ocean and provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.

has developed and provides can not be parallel because they represent different tense????....because "firm" can be a possible antecedent of "provides" but its not logical, "farm is logical". Moreover, if u compare the GMAT prep problem with the original question then the verb tense is only differentiating factor. Op D of gmat prep

Most of the proposed health benefits of tea come from antioxidants-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body's blood vessels.

So, if u compare both the options, only difference is in tense. Instead of "come" the original question has "has developed"

Legendary Member

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon May 23, 2011 8:57 pm
has developed and provides can not be parallel because they represent different tense????....because "firm" can be a possible antecedent of "provides" but its not logical, "farm is logical".
I am not sure why have you tried to parallel 'has developed' and 'provides'.

My line of reasoning was,

In an attempt to produce premium oysters, a firm in Scotland has developed a prototype of a submersible oyster farm that
sits below the surface of the ocean
and
provides ideal conditions for the mollusks' growth.

Please help me understand incase I am wrong.

Modifier, Subject-Verb, Subordinate clause whose subject is farm
Regards,

Pranay