GMAT Prep

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT Prep

by moneyman » Sun May 04, 2008 1:57 am
I have a tough time with questions on co-ordinate geometry because I dont know what to look for in the question..pls help!!

This one is from GMAT Prep

Circle C and line K lie in the xy plane. If circle C is centered at the origin and has radius 1 , does line K intersect circle C??

(1) The x intercept of line k is greater than 1
(2) The slope of line K is -1/10

ANs E
Maxx

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: GMAT Prep

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun May 04, 2008 8:18 am
moneyman wrote:I have a tough time with questions on co-ordinate geometry because I dont know what to look for in the question..pls help!!

This one is from GMAT Prep

Circle C and line K lie in the xy plane. If circle C is centered at the origin and has radius 1 , does line K intersect circle C??

We can draw the circle based on the info given, so we need information about line k.

(1) We know that k crosses the x-axis to the right of "1", but have no idea what the slope is: insufficient.

(2) We know the slope, but we have no idea where the line exists in the x-y plane: insufficient.

Together:

a slope of -(1/10) means that line k is very flat - it goes up 1 for every 10 it goes to the left.

So, if k passes through the point (2,0), it would definitely intersect the circle. However, if k passes through the point (10000,0), it's going to miss the circle by a mile.

So, even after combining statements (1) and (2), we're not sure if k intersects the circle: choose (e).

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Followed by:1 members

by smclean23 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:25 pm
[/quote]

a slope of -(1/10) means that line k is very flat - it goes up 1 for every 10 it goes to the left.

[/quote]

Confused on how we can tell this line is flat. Guess its a very basic slope question but doesnt -1/10 slope mean down 1 and 10 to the right?

GMAT Score:750

by LSB » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:43 pm
The following 2 sentences are equivalent

"it goes up 1 for every 10 it goes to the left."

"it goes down 1 and 10 to the right"

First sentence starts from the right of teh coordinate system and moves up the line to the left

Second sentence starts from the left of the coordinate system and moves down the line to the right.

It is the same line ... just depends which way you look at the line.
Hope this helps

by ildude02 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:38 am
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
We can draw the circle based on the info given, so we need information about line k.

(1) We know that k crosses the x-axis to the right of "1", but have no idea what the slope is: insufficient.

(2) We know the slope, but we have no idea where the line exists in the x-y plane: insufficient.

Together:

[/quote]

Is there any information we could make out just from the slope of a line? Especially if the slope were "positive" vs "negative". Would we even be able to tell what quadrant a line passes through if a slope is NEGATIVE or POSITIVE. Appreciate your response.

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:49 pm
ildude02 wrote:Is there any information we could make out just from the slope of a line? Especially if the slope were "positive" vs "negative". Would we even be able to tell what quadrant a line passes through if a slope is NEGATIVE or POSITIVE. Appreciate your response.
Lines with a positive slope always pass through quadrants I and III. They also pass through exactly 1 of quadrant II, quadrant IV or the origin (i.e. 0,0).

Lines with a negative slope always pass through quadrants II and IV. They also pass through exactly 1 of quadrant I, quadrant III or the origin.

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount

by ildude02 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:39 am
Stuart Kovinsky wrote:
ildude02 wrote:Is there any information we could make out just from the slope of a line? Especially if the slope were "positive" vs "negative". Would we even be able to tell what quadrant a line passes through if a slope is NEGATIVE or POSITIVE. Appreciate your response.
Lines with a positive slope always pass through quadrants I and III. They also pass through exactly 1 of quadrant II, quadrant IV or the origin (i.e. 0,0).

Lines with a negative slope always pass through quadrants II and IV. They also pass through exactly 1 of quadrant I, quadrant III or the origin.
Stuarts, thanks for your response. I'm wondering would this information ever be useful for solving any problem(I assume so, but not sure if there is any good example to test it. I tried to apply this to the above problem and it didn't help me much)?

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 am
I got the correct answer but am not too sure..
the slope is given at -1/10..what does this say?That the slope is -ive so passes through quad 2 and 4...

but what about the inclination?if its almost parallel to the x-axis it may intersect the circle..not so if the line is almost parallel to y axis..

Basically does the figure of 1/10 tell us anything?What if it was given -5?Would the answer be diff.?

Would like to get the answer without calculations:)Please help.

by NikolayZ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:23 am
i ll try to do it :)
you know that every line might be expressed as y=kx+b, where k is a slope. Consider b=0 first.
we have an equation y=kx ( y=-1/10x, in particular)
Literally, slope tells us the distance in the y-axis per x, but affected by the slope.
Our equation tells us that, if x=1, y will travel to -1/10. if x=2, y will travel to -1/5.
For our problem we should consider x=1 and y=1, because the radius of a circle is 1.
Of coarse, if b=0 ==> y=-1/10x. Line obviously will intersect the circle.
Now it all depends on variable b. if b is 1000000, line won't intersect the circle. P.s. statements do not tell us, where exactly like k intersects x axis unfortunately. Hence E.

by Thouraya » Mon May 23, 2011 11:23 pm
@Stuart, I am not sure I understand this. Isn't there only ONE AND ONLY ONE line with a slope -1/10? Or can we draw several lines with this slope?

GMAT Instructor

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Tue May 24, 2011 5:42 pm
Thouraya wrote:@Stuart, I am not sure I understand this. Isn't there only ONE AND ONLY ONE line with a slope -1/10? Or can we draw several lines with this slope?
Hi,

there's an infinite number of lines with that slope. For example:

y = (-1/10)x + 1
y = (-1/10)x + 2
y = (-1/10)x + 3

and so on....

Each of those lines is parallel, but crosses the y-axis in a different spot.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 25, 2011 3:23 am
baladon99 wrote:Circle C and line K lie in the xy plane. If circle C is centered at the origin and has radius 1, does line K intersect circle C?

One approach is to draw the circle and the line to see whether the two must intersect.

X-intercept is greater than 1, slope = -1/10, line k intersects circle C:

X-intercept is greater than 1, slope = -1/10, line k does not intersect circle C:

Thus, the 2 statements combined are insufficient to determine whether line k intersects circle C.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by crisro » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:57 am
what about if we had a different value for the slope, but still negative?
would that change anything?