Undergrad Transcript Advice Needed

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Undergrad Transcript Advice Needed

by ljordanf » Mon May 23, 2011 6:50 am
Stacy Blackman Team:

My goal is to apply to several top tier MBA programs no later than R2 for Fall 2012 matriculation. One of my greatest concerns relates to my undergrad record, particularly quant courses. I have considered taking an additional math class, via distance learning, to demonstrate that I can handle the MBA program curriculum. Would this be a worthwhile use of my time or does my professional experience and pursuit of the CFA designation provide enough evidence? Thank you in advance for your advice.

Overall GPA: 3.36 ; Major: Finance from a state university
GMAT: Expect to score between 680-700, based on my diagnostic CATs
CFA Level II Candidate
3 years spent working as a research associate for large bond fund (quant modeling, etc.)

MATH :: Business Math I: B; Business Math II: C; Statistics: C
ECON :: Micro Econ: A; Macro Econ: B
ACCT :: Financial Accounting: C; Intro to Managerial Accounting: C; Intermediate Financial Accounting: C
FINANCE :: Core Finance Courses: B average

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am
Dear ljordanf,

A tough one...your 3.36 is a solid GPA, but you are right to be concerned with your performance in individual quantitative courses. Taking a calculus class and doing well (A) will certainly demonstrate your aptitude and assuage concerns. However, scoring 45+ on the quant section of the GMAT will also show your aptitude. If you can complete a calculus class online prior to your applications, I think it would be worthwhile as business school faculty like to see that students have a good command of calculus. If a course would be hard to manage with your schedule or compromise other aspects of your applications, then it might be worth the risk to forgo--if you are willing to take that risk in the competitive pool for top tier MBA programs.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ljordanf » Mon May 23, 2011 2:25 pm
Thank you for your response Lisa! It is much appreciated.