650 : Q 49 V 29 : Feed Back Required

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

650 : Q 49 V 29 : Feed Back Required

by mani090406 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:41 pm
Hi,

I gave my GMAT exam on 13th Dec. I scored 650 on the real test and the score is below my expectations. I will be giving the test again within next few months and will start my prep. next week. I wanted to know where i made the mistake so that i can improve and perform well the next time.

Manhattan Scores( Gave all exam under actual condition with AWA ):

Free test Manhattan : 650

Test 1: 740 q 50 V 41
Test 2: 740 q 51 v 40
Test 3: 720 q 50 V 38
Test 4: 720 q 50 v 38
Test 5: 740 q 51 V 40

GMAT Prep Score( Gave all exam under actual condition with AWA ):
Prep 1: 750 Q 49 V 42
Prep 2 : 680 q 48 v ?? ( a day before the test, i think that was my biggest mistake. Completed Maths section in 40 mins as i wanted to pick up the pace and Verbal with 10 mins time left)

Princeton Review test: ( Gave all exam under actual condition with AWA )
PR1 : 670
Pr2: 700
Pr3: 670

Since i knew some of the question from the free practise test, i thought my score was little bit inflated in Manhattan test. But Manhattan test were assumed to be tougher than Real GMAT and hence i thought i could have cracked the test.I had been seriously preparing for the last 5 months and had given everything up for the test.I let go my social life for all of these months.

Exam Scenario:

While giving the exam , i had a feeling that i wanted to get over with it. My AWA went fine(felt second AWA could have been better). But the real problem started when i started doing the Maths section. I did not wanted to handle tough questions. I guesssed most of the tough ones which was quite unusual for me since i took great pleasure in solving toughies. I had reviewed every question in my practise test as well and enjoyed working on getting the toughies which i had got wrong earlier in Test. But in the real exam , i just wanted to guess them and move on. After that, when i started the Verbal section , i could not concentrate. Everything seemes as frozen in front of me and i could even feel my heart beat. I just wanted to get over with the test. I could not even tell that if the question i was facing in the test were difficult or easy. I just went with the flow and wanted this GMAT journey to end.When the test got over i was handed 650. I could not blame myself because i knew i had given my all and i knew that it was not the true reflection of my potential.

Please can you advise where i had gone wrong. Some people, who know me personally and who had given GMAT earlier, told me that i have overexhausted myself. This exam is really important for me because of some personal matters and there is enough motivation for me to try again. I just wanted to know where i made mistake last time so that i can improve myself.

Material Used:
OG 10, OG 11, OG 12
Manhattna Entire Set: except Critical reasoning book
Kaplan Verbal and Maths
Powerscore CR bible
Priceton Guide
Gave 3-4 other tests in the beginning of my prep from diff. GMAt prep companies.
mayank

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbamaverick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 pm
I scored higher in the MGMAT verbal than in the real GMAT verbal. I realized that the verbal on the real GMAT was tougher than verbal on any practice test. I know my mistake in verbal in the real GMAT; I ran out of time and I guessed the all questions in the last RC. I will take the GMAT again in couple of months.

The good thing is that you can always take GMAT again. Don't lose hope, take the test again. Relax, work out, or watch movies the day before the exam.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Giorgio » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 am
Hey mani090406...

I had very similar situation , I have scored 670, 680 , 730, 750 in MGMAT , and 710, 730 in GMAT Prep with Verbal ranging from 35-44 and Quant 49-50 and ended up with 650 on the real thing, with Q 49 and V 30...

Unfortunately i was disturbed during the verbal section and that played a huge role in my low verbal score... I believe that there must have happened something with you as well!

Don't loose hope , give a 2nd shot , that's what i'm going to do, believing that i can score higher on the 2nd try than i could have scored on the first in the case of quite test center.

by mani090406 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:44 pm
Thanks everyone.

I will try to learn from the mistake that i made earlier and will try to follow each of your advise.

I hope that i get a good score next time around and just as you all guys are doing,help other fellow members through tough times.

To all of you, Have a Great New Year ahead !!!
mayank

by mani090406 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm
720 and got an admit from Texas A&M. Thanks All !!
mayank