Is EMBA worth the money

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is EMBA worth the money

by vmdb » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm
Hi Stacy, I 'm a CPA and work as a Financial advisor in one of the leading banks. I 'm in my late 30's and looking for a career change to Management consulting. I 'm admitted to Booth for this academic year for EMBA program. Will EMBA help me in my efforts to get where I want to be OR is it only the FULL TIME MBA that makes the difference ? Post completion, is EMBA is as effective as FULL time MBA in terms of placement in top notch consulting firms. Or EMBA is just a tag ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 am
Dear vmdb,

There are differences in a traditional daytime (full-time) MBA and an executive MBA program in terms of curriculum and resources. The reason being is the student population is at a different point in its career (5 yrs v. 15 yrs avg experience). EMBA students are further along and thus EMBA programs are designed for folks needing more management training to continue to progress along their current career trajectory or move into management roles with their company/industry. Historically, EMBA programs are not designed for folks wanting to make a significant career change. However, there has been a slight shift in the last 5-10 years as the population in the EMBA program has changed. Whether or not Booth has made changes to the resources available to EMBA students is something you should determine now prior to starting the program. You need to know what career resources are available to you and what assistance you will have in crafting your job search strategy to make a change. Realize that your job search will not be the same as those in the daytime program as your amount of experience is significantly higher. Likewise, at the end of the day, whether or not you are able to make this career change will be greatly determined by you and your efforts more than any other factor. I encourage you to speak with the Booth EMBA folks regarding your questions and concerns. They will be the best ones to address what resources will be available and how other EMBA students have tackled career changes in the past.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me