Textbook

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Textbook

by sch » Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 pm
Hello, I have written my GMAT back in October and since then im continuing to brush up on my quantitative skills in preparation for the commencement of my MBA program in September. A few months ago I have picked up a textbook by Soo T. Tan: Applied Mathematics for the managerial, life and social sciences.

I want to let everyone know that this is absolutely fantastic textbook. It explains concepts much better than anything I have used (I used Manhattan GMAT guides). The practice questions are very GMAT like. The textbook has useful formulas for figuring out sequences, sum of sequences etc something that MGMAT guides miss completely. It goes over augmented matrices to help you solve complicated equations. It also has two sections devoted to probabilities and overlapping sets. I am so impressed by the book, that I feel like I should re-take my GMAT again! I scored 42 on quantitative section and this text has showed me a lot of new tricks. So for those of you hovering around 42 in quantitative, I have to say that this is a must have! The only topics which are not covered are the number properties and geometry. For those you can buy separate MGMAT guides, but for everything else, this textbook is much superior to anything I have used in my GMAT preparations.