Need Mock Tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Mock Tests

by mohitkhemani1985 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:39 pm
Hi all.
I am in desperate need for some new mock tests.
I am through with MGMAT series(that comes with any book),kaplan,princeton and of course the originl GMAC tests. Though I was scoring 720+ consistently in the tests, I finally ended up with a sad 660(Q49/V31) on my D day. One last shot this time.
So please if somebody can suggest me some more mock tests. Would really appreciate.
Any other suggestions are also welcome.
Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Mon May 16, 2011 1:08 am
Hello,

Wow. That's a lot of practice tests. So I have to quick points to make.

First- doing tons of tests and problems is great, but at your level you really need to work on your weak areas. If you haven't already go back over all of the tests and really find out what your weak points are. Then review these areas (with the Manhattan guides or what ever you used to study the concepts and previous problems that are related). Next, do new questions that that cover these areas (perhaps out of the OG supplements if you haven't exhausted them).

Secondly- and this is more of a question I suppose, but how many times have you done the GMATPREP tests? If you haven't done each test at least twice (for a total of four tests) you should do them again because you'll continue to get new questions. Even if you have done the tests twice each you can still do them again and get new questions (but the score will obviously be inflated)

Cheers!
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mohitkhemani1985 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:13 am
Thanks Daniel. Really appreciate it.
Well yes i totally agree with you on identifying my weak areas.
I really feel I fall short on time while doing CR especially.
I have gone through some of the LSAT sets, can solve but cant actually time them,since the arguments themselves are pretty long. Can you give me some advice on how to improve CR and also if there are some good question banks for them leaving aside the OG's and Kaplan.
Thanks in anticipation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed May 18, 2011 5:08 am
Beyond, the OG's I'm not too sure what you should go over for the CR. However, working on the RC should help you with the CR section as well. You could try the Critical reasoning bible, but I haven't read it myself (I had a good score on this section from the beginning so I didn't work on it much).

As for how to approach the CR section I think you shouldn't follow what most books teach (at least for the first step). Here is what I think you should do

1) scan the question and look for a few keywords like strengthen, weaken, conclusion, assumption. Don't spend more than 5 seconds reading the question. Since you haven't read the passage yet it is difficult to make sense of the question so you should only scan it to get an idea of what it is about.

2) read the passage

3) now really read the question

4) Try to answer the question before looking at the answer choices! This is a very important step that many people skip and will really help you not fall into the GMAT traps

5) go through the answer choices.

Cheers!
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT