Powerscore monster CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

Powerscore monster CR

by bblast » Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 am
Unlike newspapers in the old days, today's newspapers and televised news programs are full of stories about murders and assaults in our city. One can only conclude from this change that violent crime is now out of control, and, to be safe from personal attack, one should not leave one's home except for absolute necessities.

Which one of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the conclusion?

(A) Newspapers and televised news programs have more comprehensive coverage of violent crime than newspapers did in the old days.
(B) National data show that violent crime is out of control everywhere, not just in the author's city.
(C) Police records show that people experience more violent crimes in their own neighborhoods than they do outside their neighborhoods.
(D) Murder comprised a larger proportion of violent crimes in the old days than it does today.
(E) News magazines play a more important role today in informing the public about crime than they did in the old days.

[spoiler]OA-A
IMO-E[/spoiler]
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 am
This is a great question.

A and E intend to tell the same thing.

A and E differ in terms of mediums of news they describe.

New Magazines is out of scope of the question text. Thus not E.

Whereas, Newspapers and televised news programs are in context of the sentence. Thus, A.

What is the source?
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:07 am
The reason why A is correct and E is incorrect is that A states something which can be attributed to conclusion. E only says that news magazines have more role to play but it does not say that news magazines actually do it.

@bubbliiiiiiii : News magazines are not of scope , since this a weaken question any info be it additional info (not stated in premise) if weakens the argument then it is correct

I hope it is clear else you may present your doubts.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:27 am
vikram4689 wrote:The reason why A is correct and E is incorrect is that A states something which can be attributed to conclusion. E only says that news magazines have more role to play but it does not say that news magazines actually do it.

@bubbliiiiiiii : News magazines are not of scope , since this a weaken question any info be it additional info (not stated in premise) if weakens the argument then it is correct

I hope it is clear else you may present your doubts.
E clearly states that Newspapers PLAY a more Important role
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 am
Yes they do Play important role but whether they actually do it.

Maradona play an important role in a match but it is not for sure that maradona plays well in that match

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am
vikram4689 wrote:Yes they do Play important role but whether they actually do it.

Maradona play an important role in a match but it is not for sure that maradona plays well in that match
U are mixing up things that happen out of habit and something that actually happens .Here it means that newspapers are playing a role actually
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rk10 » Fri May 13, 2011 8:19 am
Isnt it D - we have to weaken the conclusion that crime is more than what it was in the past.

What is the OA ?

Legendary Member

by vikram4689 » Fri May 13, 2011 4:30 pm
@Mundasingh: We need to choose an answer that hammers the conclusion in MOST powerful way. Now here we have 2 contenders :

A - directly states the reason that since there is more reporting, people are more aware of crimes
E - it states answer in convoluted way, magazines play a more imp. role. Also i noticed 1 more strong point, arg. says "newspapers and televised new programs" are full of reports. E does not help why this is so whereas A explains this and nails the conclusion.

I hope it helps.

@rk10 : D is irrelevant, we are concerned about violent crimes and not only about murders.