380(Q27V16) GMATPREP1 - Target score 750 (Experts help reqd)

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi..

I am preparing for the last 3 months and gave my Gmat Prep 1 last week and got the following scores : Q27 , V16 , Total : 380. This is the only CAT I've attempted so far. I've just started solving OG11 questions and I guess my score will increase as I move forward with the OG11 and do more practice problems regularly. So far problems that I've tried are from the MGMAT end chapter problems plus 1st 60 questions from the OG for DS & PS and around 1st 50 questions from the OG each for RC, SC & CR.

Following is the analysis for the problems I've solved from the OG11 under timed conditions:
PS (problem 1- 60) - 39 correct
DS (problem 1 - 60) - 35 correct
RC (problem 1- 47) - 24 correct
CR (problem 1 - 40) - 15 correct
SC (problem 1 - 50) - 31 correct

Books used:
Quant (ALL Manhattan GMAT)
1. Number Properties
2. Fraction, Decimal & Percentage (FDP)
3. Equations, Inequality & VICs (VICs - Variable in answer choice)
4. Word Translation
5. Geometry

Verbal
1. MGMAT - Sentence Correction - SC
2. MGMAT - Reading Comprehension - RC
3. The Powerscore GMAT Bible Critical Reasoning - CR

Books for practice problems:
1. OG 11
2. OG Quant & verbal (yet to start)
3. Kaplan GMAT 800 (yet to start)

My target score is 750. I know this is going to be a exceptionally tough task but I am not giving up.

I desperately need an expert advice to help me formulate the strategy to achieve my target score. I would also like some opinion about my GMAT PREP 1 score. As I have mentioned I have not solved many problems, is the score of 380 represents my full potential on the GMAT (as of today)? I need to admit that I can handle Quant as I move forward with my studies but I am really struggling with my Verbal. Any help to improve the Verbal score will also be appreciated.

I know it is fairly hard to predict but any guesses how much time (in weeks or months) it will take from my current level to my target level? As far as time is considered I am in no rush to give the GMAT. All I can say is I am fully committed and ready to put in whatever it takes to reach my target (750).

I know BTG is a great place to get your questions answered & I am sure forum members and experts will help me. Thanks in advance. I'll look forward to your comments and opinions. Please suggest.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 am
You should read Ron's response in this thread: https://www.beatthegmat.com/dissapointed ... tml#326939
Yep.

by mba.sk29 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am
Thanks uwhusky. I've read Ron's suggestions and I will try to incorporate the points mentioned in my GMAT preparation.

Moreover as I've mentioned this is not my final GMAT score, this is the score from the 1st CAT. I am in the middle of my preparation and still lots of things are to be done.

I know my target of 750 from my current level looks unrealistic, but is this impossible to achieve?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am
mba.sk29 wrote:
I know my target of 750 from my current level looks unrealistic, but is this impossible to achieve?
Well, your target is a little unrealistic but obviously not impossible to achieve. Remember, nothing in life is impossible. However, to attain a 700+ level, you need to be very realistic about your current set of abilities and you need to acknowledge that you have a long way to go to achieve something like a 750.
For you, I'd strongly recommend, as Ron also suggests, a long term approach instead of thinking of conquering the GMAT within 3 months.
Since you don't have paucity of time, I'd strongly suggest that you first build a certain competency level and then start preparing formally for the GMAT. For example, your Verbal score indicates that you have not been into the habit of reading . Read as much as possible. That will help you to gain a certain comfort level with the Verbal section and will give you a headstart so that you can build up on that and continue preparing for the GMAT.
If I were you, I'd firstly pick all the books in the "Recommended Reading " forum here on BTG and read them.
I'd then venture into preparing for the GMAT formally.
This may sound quite laborious. However, that's the best strategy you can have if you want to achieve your target score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 am
mba.sk29 wrote:Thanks uwhusky. I've read Ron's suggestions and I will try to incorporate the points mentioned in my GMAT preparation.

Moreover as I've mentioned this is not my final GMAT score, this is the score from the 1st CAT. I am in the middle of my preparation and still lots of things are to be done.

Hi mba.sk29!

In order to help a bit of clarification on a few questions would be great:

- was this first CAT before or after the 3 months of study?
- you noted that you had studied the questions from the last chapters of the MGMAT books (do you mean the OG questions that apply to each chapter or only those In Action problems that go with the later (advanced) chapters of each book?
- can you describe your process on the OG problems a bit: are you simply working the problems and checking the answers, are you working them in order, when you say timed conditions do you mean 2min/each or in longer sets, etc? As much detail as possible here would be wonderful
- Regarding the MGMAT guides - have you been reading chapters (all or just a few), doing In Action problems and the applicable OG questions, or something else?

You are correct that a move from high 300s to mid 700s is going to be a lot of work but clearing up a few of those questions might help us see exactly how much work we're talking about! And given a jump of this size, I would highly recommend looking into some private tutoring (even if you only use a few sessions to help diagnose problem spots and formulate a plan of attack). There are a TON of tutoring options (in-person and online) all over the globe so it is worth researching!

:)
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

by mba.sk29 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:55 am
Rishi << Thanks for your response.

Whit << Appreciate your help and here are the answers to your queries:

- was this first CAT before or after the 3 months of study?
This was the CAT after the 3 months prep. During these 3 months I just did the theory and not many problems, except the ones given at the end of each chapter.

- you noted that you had studied the questions from the last chapters of the MGMAT books (do you mean the OG questions that apply to each chapter or only those In Action problems that go with the later (advanced) chapters of each book?
Problem set at the end of each chapter including advanced chapter. This did not include any OG problems.

- can you describe your process on the OG problems a bit: are you simply working the problems and checking the answers, are you working them in order, when you say timed conditions do you mean 2min/each or in longer sets, etc?

I am doing PS/DS in a block of 20 questions & following strict time limit of 2 mins per question and checking answers after completing all 20 problems.

RC - 3 Passages at a time with a total of around 15/16 questions spread across the 3 passages and trying to complete all within 25 mins. Checking answers after completing all the questions.

SC/CR - 14 Questions at a time and try to complete them within 25 mins. Checking answers after completing all the 14 questions.

As much detail as possible here would be wonderful
- Regarding the MGMAT guides - have you been reading chapters (all or just a few), doing In Action problems and the applicable OG questions, or something else?
I am done reading the all the chapters. Primarily I've used MGMAT for Quant and SC & RC. As mentioned earlier I only attempted problems at the end of each chapter and did not pick up OG problems after completing each chapter.

To summarize:
I have read Quant & Verbal from the books as mentioned above and done all the problems at the end of each chapter (no OG problems as given in MGMAT books).
I have started doing OG11 problems from 25th of Dec. and gave my 1st CAT on 31st Dec.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:13 pm
Hi mba.sk29!

Thank you for the quick response! A few notes, given that you had done close to 3 months of content prep and your most recent exam posted a score of 380 I would definitely encourage you to speak with a private tutor (at least for a few sessions). While it is true that content is only so much of the equation - understanding how GMAT specific problems work is important as well - I would still expect a somewhat higher score based on just content alone. There might be some specific issues that are preventing you from putting the content into action.

Now, regarding preferred methods of study, I would advocate something different from what you are currently employing. GMAT problems are important, but more important that just doing large numbers of questions is working to develop your pattern recognition of certain problem types. The best way to do this is to start with content sets and then follow with short (5-6 question) problem sets that use OG questions ONLY from the chapter you have just reviewed. (i.e. read the Powers & Roots chapters, review the In Action and then do a set of 3 ps and 3 ds problems from the OG list attached to that chapter. And when doing problems, the following should be mandatory:

(1) Do all 5-6 problems aware of time: at 2 minutes, pause the timer and draw a line on your paper (to show how far you had gotten with your work) and make your best educated guess if you had to pick an answer (write it next to the line). Then un-pause the timer and keep working until you have finished. Complete all 5-6 questions this way.

(2) Completely review ALL answers - a good place to look for quant explanations is in the MGMAT OG Companion (but of course I would be partial!)

(3) Re-do all 5-6 problems IMMEDIATELY after reviewing them (regardless of right or wrong). Do the timing steps exactly the same.

(4) Top down review = looking at those 5-6 problems, what was the common terminology used, was there a common strategy that was helpful, were there any common traps written into the question? What should be the big takeaway - what do they have in common, etc. You will NOT see any of those exact questions on the exam BUT you will see a Frankenstein version of them so you are working to learn to recognize that problem type, even when it is disguised.

(5) Make a flash card for that chapter using 1 question from the 5-6 that you feel was very indicative of the "typical" problem and then write your notes on strategies and takeaways on the back. These flash cards are going to be your future study guides to help remember problem types, big rules and tricks/tips. (If there are 2 questions that you see as different but important you can make an additional flash card or 2 but the point is to start understanding the big picture from each general problem type.

The same can be done for verbal in the following ways:
- Sentence Correction sets from each grammar issue (Sub-verb, modifiers, verb tense, etc)
- Critical Reasoning sets from each specific question type (i.e. what makes weaken questions similar to each other - are there common wrong answer types, common right answer types, etc)
- Reading Comp - these are a bit different. Once you have done 2-3 passages, compare similar question types across passages in the same way you would Critical Reasoning.

**For a solid verbal score you will also need to be able to read dense, academic passages in English. A great (free) resource is the Scientific American Online Journal. The material expects you to be educated and able to understand complex thought but does NOT expect you to be an expert in any of the specific areas.

EVERYONE studying for the GMAT should be reading an article a day from this or similar journals (not newspapers or journals intended for a more general audience).

The last question would be about timing - when you took the CAT, did you run out of time? This can be a BIG reason why people with content knowledge end up with very low scores.

Whit
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep

by mba.sk29 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm
Whitney,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I am sure these points will help me and others who are in the same boat. I will start following these suggestions asap and will change my prep startegy as well. I should have known all this from the start but anyways I will plan accordingly now.

As far as timings in the CAT was concerned, my Quant timings were ok, but I need to rush in the Verbal section towards the end. Verbal has always given me trouble and I need to thoroughly brush up my fundamentls for SC, RC & CR.

How often do you suggest to take the CATs/practice tests/MGMAT CAT etc? I guess these practice tests are the best way to measure the progress for the GMAT prep. Please suggest.

Thanks once again. I will keep you updated about my progress.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 pm
As far as CATs go, you want to use these as an opportunity to evaluate the combination of timing, content and strategy and as a way to help readjust your study plan as you improve in certain areas.

These should not be utilized as a means to improve specific content holes (i.e. doing a majority of your subject learning from the CAT or OG questions only). If there are areas of content that need attention then you should spend some additional time reading and reviewing chapters of strategy guides (of course I favor our MGMAT guides and our Foundations of Mathematics - but I'm partial!), followed by short question sets of OG problems targeting the specific area you are working on.

I would say that a practice CAT would be fine every 2-3 weeks as long as you are able to cover a fair amount of content between each exam.
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep

by mba.sk29 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:09 pm
Whitney,

Can we study quant & verbal together while studying for the GMAT? (Meaning, if someone is studying 3 hrs per day can he/she devote 1.5hrs to Quant and 1.5hrs to Verbal? Is this a good approach?

I am planning to use the following materials:
MGMAT - Full set for Quant & Verbal
OG 11,12

Can you please help me plan the study schedule? Any help in this regard would be deeply appreciated. Let me know if more information is required.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bkw » Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 pm
Whitney Garner wrote: EVERYONE studying for the GMAT should be reading an article a day from this or similar journals (not newspapers or journals intended for a more general audience).
I don't know if you are meaning mainly americans above. If reading comprehension, speed, and vocabulary are a issues, then most reading is good. And both WSJ and the Economist have been mentioned by several prep companies to be useful, but I suppose both of them (newspapers that cover news for a broad audience) fall out of the scope of what you say above.

A good place to start concerning improving reading is:
https://www.knewton.com/blog/gmat/verbal ... prehension

What is more important is to have a daily habit of reading, especially opinions in e.g. WSJ. Think of STOP(See Veritas RC). Take notes of words you don't understand and look them up etc. Good Luck with your reading!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Whitney Garner » Wed May 11, 2011 10:10 am
bkw wrote:
Whitney Garner wrote: EVERYONE studying for the GMAT should be reading an article a day from this or similar journals (not newspapers or journals intended for a more general audience).
I don't know if you are meaning mainly americans above. If reading comprehension, speed, and vocabulary are a issues, then most reading is good. And both WSJ and the Economist have been mentioned by several prep companies to be useful, but I suppose both of them (newspapers that cover news for a broad audience) fall out of the scope of what you say above.

A good place to start concerning improving reading is:
https://www.knewton.com/blog/gmat/verbal ... prehension

What is more important is to have a daily habit of reading, especially opinions in e.g. WSJ. Think of STOP(See Veritas RC). Take notes of words you don't understand and look them up etc. Good Luck with your reading!
I do not only advise this to my non-native "American" english speaking students - I advise this to EVERY one of my students. The reason I steer people away from the more "general" news sources is because much of that is written with a broad audience in mind and concerns information that we might be more comfortable with (current business, sports or news).

To get a real feel for the GMAT reading passages, you need to move yourself out of your reading comfort zone. After reviewing a lot of the popular (and FREE) news sources out there, I have found 2 that do a WONDERFUL job of mimicking the GMAT's style, tone and depth of content:

Scientific American Online (for science and technology articles)
Smithsonian Magazine Online (for humanities, history, art, politics, etc)

As much as I personally love to read the Economist, BuisnessWeek, WSJ, Times, Post, etc... the articles just do not have the same density as those on the site above.

I also disagree with the goal of reading "opinion based" passages. Most GMAT passages lack extensive opinion or emotion and are instead told from the perspective of a disinterested 3rd party. Reading opinion pieces will not be representative of the experience you will have during the test.

Lastly, my suggestion to read dense articles every day is not just to help with understanding, speed and vocabulary (issues that EVERYONE could stand to work on no matter how good your score), BUT to help with test fatigue. This test is a bear - if reading each passage (don't forget there will be 3-4) after you have already been in the test for over 2.5 hours is going to be a ton of work, then you are just further exhausting yourself. If you can learn to handle dense material every day, then seeing it on the test isn't such a big deal. It is all about finding ways to make the testing situation more comfortable.

But again - I have NEVER met a student that couldn't improve with respect to comprehension, speed and improved vocabulary in the RC sections of the test. This is NOT something just for non-native speakers - this is a tip for EVERYONE!

Whit
Whitney Garner
Manhattan Prep