Gmat beat me... again and harder...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:480

Gmat beat me... again and harder...

by MAAJ » Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm
Hi guys...

Some of you know me some of you don't... I didn't want to make this post because I was too ashamed of myself, but today I feel really bad and I need serious advices from you. Memories are coming back and everytime I remember the G-day I just feel like crying again.

After almost 5 months of study I managed to get a score 50 points lower than my previous score. From 480 (Q31 V24) on july 2010 to 430(Q33 V17) on april 2011... I just can't describe the feeling, it's just pure sadness.

My preparation wasn't bad at all. I studied with good sources, made a blog to track what I've learned, kept an error log, took mock test (but unfortunately for me, I didn't time all my excersices), studied 2 hours from monday to thursday and +3 on weekends. The books I've read were incredibly good and gave me a lot of knowledge in basics:

- Official Guide 12th edidion
- Verbal OG 11th edition
- Quantitative OG 11th edition
- MGMAT - Number properties
- MGMAT - Equations, Inequalities & VICS
- MGMAT - Geometry
- MGMAT - Sentence Correction

I know that my problem is verbal section and know that I didn't study CR neither RC much, but that was OK for me because time didn't allow me to study enough to get a score higher than 500~. I was expecting a score on the 500 range because I was scoring in this range in my mock tests:

MGMAT CAT#1: 570 (Q37 V30) didn't do the essays
MGMAT CAT#2: 490 (Q3? V2?)
MGMAT CAT#3: 490 (Q2? V2?)
MGMAT CAT#4: 530 (Q33 V3?)
GMATPREP V2: 560 (Q35 V30) didn't do the essays

I still applied to the B-school with my 2 low scores. I Know that my scores are pathetic but I believe there's still 1% chance to get in. If I don't get in then I'll have to start studying again focusing on Word problems, RC, CR and SC...

I studied really hard for this, not as much as I wanted but as much as I could. What I'm afraid of is that B-schools look at my scores and think that I'm not *good enough*... Also if I take a third test, my score must be near 600 to compensate the damage I've done to my record...

It really makes me sad when people tell me that a score of 500 is plain easy to get 'case like most people I have sacrificed so much for this (Invested +400 hours studying, quitted the gym, gained 10 pounds, lost contact with old friends, had many discussions with my gf, etc.. etc...).

Please give me an advice, I beg you...I'm all ears...
Last edited by MAAJ on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Fri May 06, 2011 2:54 pm
I know you want to beat the GMAT and you can. If you have scheduled retake-test in a month or two, please cancel this. People became very studious and the verbal section can't be walk-through any longer. We need to study for the verbal section very well.

I propose you buy/lend Power-score LSAT books- 1) LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible, 2) Logical Reasoning and MGMAT/Manhattan's SC strategic guide. Study these books carefully for three-four months, likewise you were to take the part-time MBA or MIF.

For the quant do 800score.com CATs. I'm sure none of us can solve all problems there 100% correctly, except for may be the BTG experts. Study all mistakes from the quant not as small questions BUT as cases (case studies).

I am sure you will succeed in three-four months and will score 600+ on GMAT. All it takes is hard work, which pays in the end.

p.s. don't look back at the peers who scored V30+ with less studying in the past. These guys were lucky to have less competition. More people devote their preparation time to the verbal section now. This means all people score lower. So if you score 30+ now you can still get admitted into the decent business school and/or earn scholarship.
Success doesn't come overnight!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri May 06, 2011 7:23 pm
MAAJ,

Really sad to hear. I know what you must be feeling like.

If you need to, work on your basics. I mean, it is one thing to think that solving harder problems makes it easy to solve the easier problems. But I seriously recommend that you work on the concepts and solve the easier problems first.

For verbal, I think CR and SC can help get into the 33s. That should help you achieve your target score.

I suggest you go back to those tests and see whether there were concepts you already knew and still got wrong. There were any learnings from it etc. Also revisit all the questions and see you learnt the concepts well.

There is no reason why you cannot achieve a good score in the GMAT. It is a matter of doing things right.

Before you get into anything. Take a break. Chill out. Get your mood back up first! and next time don work too hard on it. With your work schedule, it can get taxing buddy.

Chill out. All the best.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by MAAJ » Sat May 07, 2011 7:37 am
Thanks pemdas and vineeshp for your wise words. I really appreciate the time you have taken to read these lines.

Right now I'm waiting to hear if I'm going to be selected for scholarship program. I know people that had been accepted with a score 10 point lower than me (470) so I think I still have a little chance there. Wish me luck guys.

If I have to take the GMAT again, beside learning Verbal, I need to learn how to guess and how to spend the time. I'm usually the type of people who wants to solve every single question and I think that played against me on the G-day. Also I'm a very anxious person, so I think I'll better go to a doctor to check this out before sitting back on the GMAT test again.

A girl at my workplace who took the GMAT with a score of near 650 told me that the GMAT is more about how to take the test than about how much you know. And I'm starting to believe so... I remember that on the actual test I took close to 5 minutes trying to solve an easy word problem but at the end I had to guess anyways, so maybe it would have been better if I just guessed at the first time just after the 2 minutes mark. Also I had to blindly guess 2 questions and left close to 6 questions unanswered on the quantitative section and also did the same on the verbal section.

So are there any good resources out there from a big GMAT company about time management and guessing strategies? I read some information in the www.800.score webpage but I wan't some more tips. Also I'm willing to expend a lot of money this last time, so if you recommend me an online course that tackle these subjects I'll really consider it...

Like for example Knewton's Course, which has a +50 score guarantee. I would get a refund if I don't get a score greater than 530, which is pretty good, but I'm really more concerned about getting the highest possible score this last attempt, than getting a refund.

Let me know your opinions guys, thanks a lot!

PD: I think I'm good studying on my own, and I think that I don't need a private tutor to study, but sometimes I feel like I need a guide to not make stupid mistakes (like not studying enough verbal). I think I need a mentor or something... someone who can help me guide my studies.
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat May 07, 2011 9:17 am
Hi MAAJ,

Sorry to hear that you didn't reach your target score.
For what it's worth, I've read a lot of your posts, and I've always found them to be thoughtful and intelligent. So, I don't think your score reflects your abilities whatsoever.

It sounds like more of a test anxiety situation, than anything else. I also agree with your coworker; the GMAT is largely a test of how well you can write tests.

I think you probably have the content knowledge needed to reach your target score. All you need to now is work on your nerves and your timing, and you'll be fine.

Keep at it - you're on the right track!

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by MAAJ » Sun May 08, 2011 6:33 am
Thanks Brent!

by RadiumBall » Sun May 08, 2011 10:52 pm
Hi MAAJ,
I myself did not score well on the GMAT but thought my advice could be helpful anyway. I think that you first need to improve on your quant skills. Try to do all problems PS,DS in GMAT review and Quant Review. See how you solve them. Do not keep time contsraints in the beginning.
Do not concentrate on Probability and Combinations, I would say just ignore them.

Do you use different methods to solve each problem?
Do you think you are trying to memorize too many different ways to solve each problem?

If so then I think you are straining your brain. Try to solve every problem in the way you know best. Let this way take 5 min but make sure you get the problem right. You can work on your timing skills over time. If you think you are not getting the problem your way search on the net, some one some where should have solved that problem in way matching your way, if not ask up on this forum.

Your verbal looks good...at least better than mine. If you could get to 40's and over in Quant and 30's in verbal you could easily reach 600's.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 pm
If MBA is important to you, I recommend hiring a tutor.

You'll be surprised what little bit of guidance can do.
Yep.

by MAAJ » Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 am
Thanks for your responses guys.

Actually... I think that my main problem is that I'm not quick enough solving questions and that I make too many careless mistakes. I do think that I can solve most of the quantitative questions.

I'm 95% sure that my lack of speed and all these careless mistakes are due to my sleeping habits... 'cause I constantly have awful night sleeps, especially before important appointments (Yeah.. the day before the GMAT I slept near 6 unpleasant hours).

So I bought these books at amazon today, guess I'll have to study these before touching another GMAT book:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402765746
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440509017
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471149047

About hiring a tutor, It's really hard to get a good private tutor here at DR. Also, because I believe in self-study I think that an online course is a more cost-effective approach.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 am
@MAAJ: Finlay you make your decision :) , but taking classes from an experienced tutor is worth your money. You already have attempted twice and ,i am sure, have tried your best with best material available.

Being strategic is as important as being committed or as being hardworking. Of course, your decision. Online tutring ,if not fully comparable to face to face, is what one should consider.

For your intended score, a good tutor will make your task much easier.

by MAAJ » Wed May 11, 2011 7:33 am
If I have to retake the GMAT then I'll probably buy these materials:

Quantitative:
Manhattan GMAT Word Translations -> I think this is a must for me! I'm very slow at these questions.
Manhattan GMAT Fractions, Decimals, & Percents -> Don't know if I'll learn new things but hopefully it will improve my speed.

Verbal:
PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible -> Everyone says that this is the best book for CR, is this right? People say that it's even better than Manhattan's CR guide.
Manhattan GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide -> I'm not sure if this is the best book for RC, but Manhattan usually produce high quality stuff.

Courses:
Manhattan Elluminate Live Courses -> I've heard many good things about this course. So I guess I'll give it a try.

What do you guys think?...

by cyrwr1 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:47 am
Don't get disheartened dude. GMAT beat me 2 times and round 3 is coming up at the end of this month for me.

Stay positive.

One thing I must say is why would you want to spend time reading other books. Deal with GMAT and get it over with. As far as what I have seen and know, the score does not display your ability.

You should look to attend some Thursdays with Ron classes and/or watch the previous videos. GOogle this if you are unsure.

Also, for either Verbal or Quant if you run across a problem that you are unsure or ponder whether there is a quicker alternative, ask on the forums, many users may solve problems differently from you and you may be able to pick up something.

Any questions, ask away!

We're in this community to Beat The GMat!