Applying to NYU Langone PT MBA

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Applying to NYU Langone PT MBA

by AliGhumman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm
Hi,

I am applying to the NYU Part time MBA and would like your opinion on my profile as it stands and whether you think it is a match with the NYU Program.

- In my experience I have done three different internships (they were during breaks so they were Full time experiences for a combines period of 18 weeks).

- I have been employed at a bank and was rotated in different departments for training in which time I worked in investment, marketing, and operations. The period here was 6 months

- I then started my own company (I got an offer from a VC) and after having guided it to success I dealt with a major blow as my investor ran into some financial troubles and had to sell the business after it did really well. The whole experience lasted a year and the business recorded a profit during that time.

- I then started a franchise business (after a small break) and now own three of them with a partner, the business does well and I have worked on several strategies to make it work. I worked on a plan to partner with Equinox (the fitness center) and made some great strategies but I believe that going back to school here would be the right decision.

- I had a 3.47 GPA during my BBA (Hons) and a 3.35 during my MBA.

- I have been a speaker throughout my academic career, I have also presided over a society and been a member of 4 others during my under-grad.

- My internships were actually really tough as the last one was in Novartis at a time when the department was severely handicapped (three people left and they had to do 7 launches in 8 months) and the one before that where I made the SOP's of the whole department, the work involved analyzing and recording procedures for the whole department. It was extremely tough as I was barely in the 4th semester but the project went well.

- Will the experience carry more weight because it was entrepreneurship or will any such weight be eradicated by the fact that these weren't huge successes? The cumulation without internships comes to 3 years.

- How should I position myself for this MBA? would my business liquidations act adversely for me? is it a decent enough position for a part-time MBA? I don't want to waste my time as I have impending responsibilities and therefore don't want to do a full-time MBA.

- I haven't given my GMAT yet but my first practice test yielded 650 and I am improving as I prepare so for the sake of argument lets assume I get a 680-720.

- Also, one of my friends helped me plenty during me own venture? should I get her recommendation as a consultant to the company? she did the same work, just didn't have the title
Last edited by AliGhumman on Sun May 08, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:26 am
Dear AliGhumman,

First, you need to determine if you are eligible to apply to the Langone MBA since you already earned an MBA. If your MBA from Pakistan is viewed as equivalent to the MBA from NYU, then you will not be eligible as schools do not award an individual the same degree he already has. I highly encourage you to contact the admissions office at NYU to inquire on your eligibility before spending more time and money on the application process. It is possible the admissions representative at NYU will want to review your transcript of your MBA to make that determination, so you should have a copy available.

In the event you are eligible, then I think there are positives in your profile that will allow you to build a competitive application package. Your GMAT score will be telling as you need to have a strong score. Your entrepreneurship experience will not be viewed as more or less valuable than any other professional experience; it is simply the experience you have. What matters is what all you did in trying to turn these ventures into successes. Many entrepreneurial ventures fail; the question will be if you can do a solid assessment of why each venture failed. As for your friend being your recommender, it is not a problem that she was not an employee, but she does need to have some sort of professional relationship to the venture (i.e., client, vendor, etc.). You should not falsify a relationship by giving her a title or creating a relationship.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by AliGhumman » Sun May 08, 2011 6:48 pm
Thanks for your advice, I'll make sure I clarify the status of the recommender so there is no ambiguity but I believe it is still important to choose someone who can give the most in-depth and personable account of my achievements. I will share my gmat scores soon and ask for more of your valuable advice.

Also, is it necessary to have a supervisor do the recommending? most of my colleagues were the one's who can give very specific and detailed explanations of my work and abilities.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon May 09, 2011 8:49 am
Many schools do not require a recommendation from a supervisor, but it is highly preferred. I encourage you to verify each school's requirements to ensure you are meeting any specific directives. Generally speaking, you are correct to ask those that can give the best, detailed information on you as a professional.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by AliGhumman » Sun May 22, 2011 5:42 pm
Hi Lisa,

I got a 680 on my GMAT and a 5.5 on my verbal. My understanding is that I will neither be greatly helped nor highly disregarded because of this score. Therefore, I am trying my best to really understand the schools I am applying to. The final list looks like this

- NYU
- Michigan Ross
- Worcester Polytechnic
- Rice University
- U Chicago
- Kellog
- Emory Guizueta

Is there anything that you can suggest for me to do? Presently I am trying to read up a lot about these schools. I have already applied to NYU and Ross, I am trying to choose schools with decent part time programs and a strong entrepreneurial culture. Any advice on how I can further strengthen my chances? things I could consider? Make a more compelling case?

I was also thinking about trying to give the MENSA test, maybe if I score high on it I can supplement my GMAT saying 'hey, maybe I didn't do so well there but my IQ is ok so I'll do well'. What do you think about that?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon May 23, 2011 11:07 am
Doing your research on the programs so you can tailor your essay answers is key in submitting a strong application. Be sure to ask someone you trust to read over anything before you submit so you don't miss small errors. If you can afford it, you might consider working with a consultant as a consultant can be helpful in terms of crafting a strategy and being a quality-check on your materials. With regard to the Mensa test, I don't think it would have any effect on your applications.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me