concern about GMAT score and work experience

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

concern about GMAT score and work experience

by piku9290 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 am
Hi! i have been following the answers you give for many MBA aspirant and hope that you ll provide a reliable answer to my problem . I am a chemical engineering student recently graduated from a reputed university in India . My undergraduate performance is just above average (7 out of 10 in Indian scale). i have one month internship at an oil industry and also i ll take another internship of 4 month from May to August in an international project on bamboo plantation . Also , I have been offered a full time job in a very reputed steel industry in India which I am scheduled to join on September. My extra curricular activities are decent which includes lots of awards and certificate in science and social science quiz and exhibition , elocution, extempore etc.
I have interest to pursue MBA but reading many forum i guess that its not worthy to do MBA right after engineering and i should have at least two year of work experience before applying. Still, I decide to take GMAT on June this year and already started the preparation. I am doing self-preparation with Kaplan and Manhattan's books. I got 640 on Kaplan's mock test and 680 on Master GMAt. My question is if I score good (say above 700) and apply after 1 or two year , will the admission committee will question me about this???
Also i would like you to evaluate my brief profile(except the GMAT part) and suggest me some way to prepare for GMAT verbal. I could not score above 35 in GMAT verbal
Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 am
Dear piku9290,

Admissions committees question every applicant about why s/he wants to go to business school and why now in relation to past experience and future career goals. So, you will want to incorporate a solid rationale for why you want an MBA and why when you are applying is the appropriate time in your essays. For some applicants, the appropriate time is after two years of work experience. For others, it is after 5 or 6 years. Only you will know when you are ready based on your career progress and future goals. Based on the information in your post, you have a competitive GPA and are on track to gain quality work experience. In addition to preparing for and doing well on the GMAT, you also want to continue some extracurricular involvement outside of work over the next 1-2 years. Perhaps a community group or nonprofit in your area? With regard to GMAT prep, I am not an instructor so do not have any tips for you. Perhaps some other readers can weigh in or you can find some tips and strategies on other parts of BTG?

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by piku9290 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 am
Thank you very much for your reply. Can u suggest me what GMAT score will make my profile an competitive one for tier 1 universities of USA if I apply after one year of working ? Also I would like to know the name of some good buisness school who admit student whose work experience is less than that of average one. And also , I want to know that how does the admission committee judge the quality of work of the applicant as the promotion of an energy sector employee is not as fast as that of IT sector employee..

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon May 09, 2011 8:55 am
To be in the best competitive position, your GMAT score needs to be above the average of the schools you are targeting. For a top 20 program, your GMAT score should be in the 700s and ideally 720+. Most business schools accept applications from those with less than 2 years of experience, but to gain admission with less than 2 years is difficult. You need to have a strong rationale for both why an MBA and why now is the appropriate time. With regard to differences in industry progression, quality of experience is not solely judged on formal progression like promotions or changes in title. Quality of experience is the impact you have had in your role, whether or not you have broadened/deepened your knowledge and skills in your profession, and if the scope of your responsibility has increased over time.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by piku9290 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:46 pm
Can you explain me what kind of leadership does the admission committee look for in a MBA applicant. Also , I would like to ace my profile and therefore want suggestion about how to make my profile impressive within the next or next two year.What other work beside a full time job can make me a valuable MBA aspirant in the eye of admission committee .
Thank you
Piku

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am
Dear Piku,

I encourage you to do some general research on business school and the admissions process. I think you will find it valuable in answering your questions on what admissions committees are looking for in applicants, as well as helpful as you craft your own application strategy. There are many great resources available on the internet or in print. I like the book published by Stacy Blackman, but then I am a bit biased. :wink: Perhaps other readers on the forum have some resources they have found valuable they could suggest?

Happy researching!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by piku9290 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am
Can you provide me some link to do the research on what you said ? Also, what is the most stellar thing about those candidate who apply with just one year of work experience and get admitted to a good b-school? And frankly, how worth is it for an Indian engineers to do MBA from USA in terms of job prospectus and salary?