air Travel

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

air Travel

by mundasingh123 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:50 am
Air Travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the last year there have been seven major collisions resulting in over 700 deaths, more deaths than in any previous year.

Which statement, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A. Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger.

B. The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather.

C. Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation.

D. The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation.

E. Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years.
I found this very tricky
A,C,D all potential answers.Please just dont dismiss answer choices as Not relevant
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 am
Actually since you think A,C and are potential answers, I will take it forward from there. C and D talk about other forms of transportation. The stimulus does not go into that. IT says Air travel is becoming more dangerous bcos there were 7 collisions and 700 deaths. It does not say Air travel is more dangerous than other forms. That rules out C, D.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:18 am
Hmm
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 am
The argument is basically talking about the incrreased risk in Air travel . So we need an option that tells that there is no INCREASE .

A. Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger. -- [increase in volume of air traffice => increase in collison IF same volume of traffic => increase in collision THEN air traffic has increasing danger , so this is the answer we need.]

B. The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather. -- [This option is not talking any thing about increased risks , out of scope option]

C. Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation. -- [We need to focus on air travelnot on other travels , anyways comparisons are never correct , just my observatiion ]

D. The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation. -- [Again we are comparing air travel risk previously with air travel risk last year , so other forms of transportation seem out of context comparison]

E. Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years. -- [This doesnt weaken in fact strengthen the argument ]
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by LIL » Thu May 05, 2011 3:32 pm
the answer is (a)

here's why (c) and (d) are incorrect:

(c) says that air travel is less dangerous than other types of transportation. the original question simply says that air travel is becoming more dangerous than it was before, not that it is becoming more dangerous than other types of transportation

instead of thinking "comparisons are never correct," think about what you are comparing. the question asks you to compare air travel last year vs. air travel in earlier years, but this answer is comparing air travel last year vs. land/sea travel last year.

(d) says that air travel is just as dangerous as other types of transportation. again, the question is asking you to compare air travel last year vs. air travel in earlier years, and this answer is comparing air travel last year vs. land/sea travel last year.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:Air Travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the last year there have been seven major collisions resulting in over 700 deaths, more deaths than in any previous year.

Which statement, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

A. Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger.

B. The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather.

C. Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation.

D. The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation.

E. Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years.
I found this very tricky
A,C,D all potential answers.Please just dont dismiss answer choices as Not relevant
(A) seems like the best answer to me.

The other 4 are all irrelevant to the question at hand as they don't focus on air travel becoming more dangerous in itself. increasing air traffic means that any number (like 700) does not equal more danger because it is not given as a rate, just a number.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shantanu290 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:08 pm
why is B wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:38 pm
IMO A

Guys, I will try to attract your attention towards one of my previous posts:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/great-supple ... 83528.html

There is something in the article by heading Uncertain Use of a Term or Concept. This question repeats a similar kind of reasoning error. This great article can help you decipher many types of CR questions such as Strengthening ,weakening,Assumption and Evaluate types . You can describe these reasoning errors in your essays too.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:42 pm
shantanu290 wrote:why is B wrong?

If this statement were true, it would support the argument that AIR TRAVEL IS DANGEROUS. Do n't get fooled by alternative causes , because these alternative causes will still be dangerous for someone who is travelling by air.

Hope it helps!