CR Best strategdy in last 20 days

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

CR Best strategdy in last 20 days

by alltimeacheiver » Wed May 04, 2011 1:44 am
Hi Everyone,

I need some best advice for attempting Cr questions. All of a sudden I am facing problem in this area. I need advice that what at last moment I can do best in this portion so that my verbal score should rise. I realised that at the time of appearing mocks I dont feel like attempting this questions and more over this area is suffering due to lack of concentration. I need expert advice in order to attempt it wiith in 2 mins game. I keep on reading Cr argument and till the time I don't undertand it fully, I dont Look ans choices and Finally after 4 Mins if I choose option that is always wrong.

Pls advice some tips for attempting this type of questions related to scope , relavant etc

by 4GMAT_Mumbai » Wed May 04, 2011 6:01 am
Hi,

I guess you have to move CR to 'Top Priority' over this week in order to stand a chance at a very good GMAT score. Some observations:

1. Try doing ONLY CR over the next two or three days. I suppose you must be pretty good at the other sections of GMAT. The human mind does a good job of coaxing you to work on something else purely due to the fear of CR. Put yourself in a situation where your only option is to work on CR. Force yourself to gain competence here. 1/3rd of verbal is at peril.

2. Even before getting involved with the argument in a CR question; make sure you spend enough time with the question. If you primarily concern yourself only with the CR argument, during those 3 minutes, you are trying to look at the conclusion the way the author has done. You are allowing the author to convince you about her conclusion. At the end of 3 minutes, if it happens to be a 'weaken the argument', you need to reverse the viewpoint abruptly. Leads to fatigue and one tends to give up.

3. It is tough to draw a line as to when to start looking at the answer choices. However, if you have spent more than 1 minute with the argument, at some stage, you have to move on to the answer choices and hope that the answer choice leaps out (or at least the two best choices leap out). That way, your chances improve from 20% to 50%. This suggestion is purely in terms of damage control and by no means a best - practice.

The concern is that there is no way that one can beat the GMAT if you are feeling even a little edgy about one of the three constituents of GMAT verbal.

I hope this helps. Thanks !
Naveenan Ramachandran
4GMAT, Dadar(W) & Ghatkopar(W), Mumbai

Followed by:5 members

by alltimeacheiver » Wed May 04, 2011 7:36 am
thanks.

Pls suggest at the last moment, what material I should touch. Kaplan Premier, Og 10 and 12, MGMAT Cr or Cr Bible. Pls reply ASAP

by 4GMAT_Mumbai » Wed May 04, 2011 9:48 pm
Hi,

I may not be the best person to pick from this basket as I have not gone through all of them.

However, I have gone through MGMAT CR and found it to be very useful in terms of techniques.

Thanks.
Naveenan Ramachandran
4GMAT, Dadar(W) & Ghatkopar(W), Mumbai