Value of x

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Value of x

by Carl Incognito » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am
I just took my 3rd Princeton Review CAT, and got a couple of questions wrong on the math section that were similar in nature. Here's one such question:

What is the value of x?

(1) (x + 2)(x + 3) = 0

(2) x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0

This being a data sufficiency question, I answered D, assuming that x = -3 or x = -2. In my mind, there is more than one answer for x, and each statement above can lead you to that answer. However, the correct answer is E. Is this because for this type of question the expectation is that we are able to find a singular value for x that works? And if that is so, is it the same on the GMAT?
Just getting started, and blogging along the way at: https://carlincognito.wordpress.com/

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 am
if the question inquires "what is the value?" - we need to find ONE value.
Success doesn't come overnight!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Wed May 04, 2011 12:11 pm
Yes, if you are asked for the value of an unknown in DS, you only have enough information if you can find *one* *numerical* value for that unknown. If you get two (or more) solutions, you do not have enough information, and if you can only solve for your unknown in terms of other letters, you do not have enough information.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com