Analogy of a Word Translations Expert

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Analogy of a Word Translations Expert

by dumluck » Wed May 04, 2011 9:27 am
.. I'm not one. But I've often wondered what the thought process of one may be.

For example.

"Machine X produces twice as many bottles in 4 hours as Machine Y does in 3"

My technique.
. State at it blankly for a moment.
. Then quickly write something that resembles: 2X/4 = X/3

which of course is completely incorrect.

What I should be writing down is bottles (Bottles)(Y) + 2(Bottles)(X) = 3(Bottles).

So 2B/4.T = 3B and from there I'm laughing. It just seems to be the translation piece.

Those of you who see this straight away, is there a technique or do you just spot the best way to denote the statement?

Thx,
D

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Wed May 04, 2011 9:35 am
Hey dumluck,

One suggestion here - because you know that they're giving you a rate (how much can be produced in how much time), you can stay pretty organized by putting everything into the form R = D/T. Which I like because you don't have to memorize it - just think of a rate (miles per hour probably comes to mind - and that's a distance over a time) and the "formula" should come naturally.

So here, Rate of Machine X = twice the number of bottles / 4 hours

or, mathematically: R(x) = 2b / 4

And Rate of Machine Y = the number of bottles / 3 hours

or, mathematically: R(y) = b / 3

The question will have to provide you with more information (e.g. "if, combined, they produce 100 bottles in 5 hours...) or a question stem that asks you for something specific (e.g. "if each works 10 hours, what percent greater will the output of machine x be than machine y). So you can then use that information, similarly, to whittle down the number of variables and solve for what you need to.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.