eGMAT for SC course?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

eGMAT for SC course?

by RyanDark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 am
Hello.. I have my gmat scheduled on 24th Sept. My current level of accuracy is around 50-60%. I have gone through MGMAT SC and OG 12. I just feel that, the way I am approaching SC is not right. So am thinking of trying eGMAT's SC course,which has got good feedback. But my biggest doubt is ,whether 3 weeks is sufficient to complete the course?
Could some experts from egmat or people who are taking this course provide their inputs?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:05 pm
RyanDark wrote:Hello.. I have my gmat scheduled on 24th Sept. My current level of accuracy is around 50-60%. I have gone through MGMAT SC and OG 12. I just feel that, the way I am approaching SC is not right. So am thinking of trying eGMAT's SC course,which has got good feedback. But my biggest doubt is ,whether 3 weeks is sufficient to complete the course?
Could some experts from egmat or people who are taking this course provide their inputs?
Im sure the egmat experts can probably provide you with better feedback on how to improve in SC, but I'll pitch in my 2 cents here.

After hearing from some trusted people about egmat, i signed up for their 3 weeks course recently and so far its been going good. My accuracy has improved, not where I would want it to be though. My test is on the 25th of this month and I still haven't completed the course, so I am hopeful that it'll get even better.

Good Luck for your test!
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by RyanDark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:12 pm
Thanks for the reply.Their site has 2 courses.One for Basics and another the 3 week Advanced kinda course.Which one have you signed up for?

by RyanDark » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm
Oh nevermind,I didn't pay attention to the words "3 weeks" in your post. This is not good for RC..lol.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:21 pm
Hi Ryandark,

Thanks for your interest in e-gmat. Based on your the information that you have provided, we recommend that you take the Sentence Correction course. This course provides an systematic approach to Sentence Correction. You should see your accuracy improve after spending 10 hours on the course.

Take a look at the link below to understand difference between the courses, :

https://e-gmat.com/pages.php?pagename=courses

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

Thanks,

Payal

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bimmer116 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:51 pm
Hi Payal,

I am also having some problem with SC, my test is less than 3 weeks away should I take the 3 week test? I am afraid that might lead to me missing some concept from the regular course. I gave the gmat for the first time 2 weeks ago and got a 690 V36 Q48 wanted to push it to 700+ I feel like your course could be the key.

Thanks,

Mike

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:01 am
Hi Mike,

The choice between SC and SC 3 week course really depends on your current accuracy level in SC. If you are currently scoring above 80% in SC, then you should take up SC 3 week course to take your accuracy beyond 90%. However, if your accuracy is below 75%, then you should take up Sentence Correction course.

It would be great if you could give me additional details about your current status in SC so that I can give you more focused response. Also, since this topic does not pertain to a SC doubt, lets take this discussion offline via pm or email.

If anyone else has any questions about e-GMAT SC or SC 3 week course, feel free to send me a pm.

Thanks,

Payal

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members
GMAT Score:710

by bblast » Tue May 03, 2011 3:32 am
hi payal,

I got a verbal 34 last time over in December and am looking to cross 40 now(Retake in July).

MY sc accuracy is usually over 12/16 on any cat. That would be 75 %. I am brushing basics again and looking for an advance course from 15th may to 15th june.

Is the 39$ course the advance course ? Is there any other course on offer (for SC) ?
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by e-GMAT » Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 am
Hi BBlast,

Thanks for interest in the e-GMAT Sentence Correction course. Our aim is to be one stop shop for Sentence Correction and our current offering covers everything, from the basics to the most difficult concepts tested on the GMAT. Our entire course is divided in 3 levels and our customers tell us that our Level 2 and Level 3 are quite challenging. We also get a lot of customers who are in the same boat as you are in (starting verbal score:32-35)and these people find our course so engaging that they go through the entire course in-spite of having the options to skip portions of the course.

Accuracy: First of all, its great that you are tracking your accuracy level. In my opinion it is the correct measure of one's proficiency when tracked along with your verbal score. Therefore, you will need to improve your SC accuracy both to increase your verbal score and to keep par as your verbal score improves (by improving in CR and/or RC). This is an area where our course can help you a lot. Most of our customers who follow our prescribed process improve their accuracy to 85%+ even as their verbal score improves.

New Course: 2 Weeks back we launched our Critical Reasoning course. We have gotten excellent feedback from our customers regarding the course. I recommend that you check that out as well. Like Sentence Correction, it has a very generous free trial. In fact, we give the entire Bold face section free of charge in the trial.

To summarize, we offer one course in Sentence Correction that probably has the largest selection of questions (450+ and constantly adding) offered by any course out there. The course is divided into levels so you will have the flexibility to cherry pick questions/concepts in level 2 and level 3 provided you prove your proficiency in Sentence Correction by doing well on our diagnostic. You can enroll for both Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning in less than 2 mins by clicking here

Do let me know if you have any other questions.

by nycknicks11 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:38 pm
Guys,

I would stick with one source. There a differences in approaches from each company that might end up confusing you more. I think MGMAT SC and OG is awesome and if you are still scoring low on it then you have not gone through them thoroughly enough. If you don't have time, I would suggest getting a private tutor. Don't jump from sources to sources; the marginal gain is very very little.

I have a few friends (they don't know each other of course) that have used eGMAT. The reviews are not good. In fact, one of them gave up on the course and gave me his login. I tried it for 1 day then quit. Here are my reasons. Firstly, the material is not comprehensive and it is mostly a rehash of MGMAT SC stuff. Secondly, the practice questions are ok not great and there are definitely some conflicts with MGMAT materials. I don't know who's right but I'm sticking with MGMAT. It's a big test company that specializes in GMAT. I can't help but feel that eGMAT was started by a an ambitious high-scorer on the GMAT doing this as a side-project. Thirdly, the interface is absolutely horrible and the "forum" is even worst. Its only redeeming quality is that you do get your questions answered if you have any but you can already get that here.

I got it for free and I still didn't want to use it. Not that $39 is alot but the time you have to commit to it is. Plus learning an entirely different approach is not fun and counterproductive. I would bet you that you already have enough knowledge to score high but there's something small missing that keeps you from getting over the top. I think a tutor is the best option to diagnose that. I don't know if the pricing has changed but isn't Grockit $99? I've heard they give live support (you should check again). Why not do that instead. For $60 more, you get more than just SC and from a big-company no less. I would stick to one source but if you need live support that might be the cheapest dollar-for-dollar.

That's just my honest opinion. I don't favor anything over anything. The only thing I care about is the final score and how much time and money you have to spend to get it. I reviewed them so that people here can get the best info. The cream should rise to the top. If they are truly amazing this should not hurt them in anyway. I'm not saying that it won't help you, I'm saying it won't help you that much if at all and compared to what you can do (opportunity cost of time) with the time you spent on that, its a no-brainer. I wouldn't do it even if its free.

by mattak » Wed May 04, 2011 8:04 am
Hello Folks,

I would beg to differ on the below post. I am a long time silent lurker on this blog. Felt the below review of egmat-SC is a bit harsh without actually giving it a serious try.

I Have used egmat-SC course and I am impressed by their approach. They use a bricks to wall approach, concentrating on the basic SC structure.

They have plenty of SC questions also to check your accuracy. Definitely worth trying out their free section seriously and if you are impressed, you can subscribe to the full course.

I don't want to get into any slanging match here. The above are a couple of thoughts from my side from personal experience.

Regards,
Praveen

by nityat » Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 am
Hi friends,
I completely agree with Praveen.
I have also been using e-gmat for a sometime now. I also went for egmat after having done mgmat and og twice and not finding any improvement in my score. I have seen a really good improvement in my score after I started using egmat.
The below are few of the points I really like about e-gmat
1) They have an extremely good methodology, which is definitely not the case with MGMAT. After I started following the SC process it became fun solving SC questions.
2) I have suggested egmat for a couple of my friends and I know their score definitely improved because of egmat. My accuracy went from 50% to 85% in 3 weeks. This is because of the methodology they follow and repeat throughout the course.
3) I loved their video courses instead of reading books. It is easier to follow and do repetitive studies on when compared to reading from book. Especially if you are like me and work long hours before starting to study or simply don't like re-reading books � this is definitely a better choice.
4) The quality of the questions also is excellent and at par with OG. They also give you the list of questions to do from OG12 based on the topics covered. All egmat questions are explained with the same methodology that they use initially, so you can improve in applying the same on OG questions.
In all I would say spend sometime, at least like an hour, on the free videos and then decide.
You could also read my debrief and see what impact egmat had on my score. https://www.beatthegmat.com/from-510-to- ... tml#337875
Hope it helps.
All the very best for your GMAT.
Rock buddy!!
Regards
Nitya.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by beatthegmatinsept » Wed May 04, 2011 8:56 am
I took the GMAT last September and have immensely benefited from beatthegmat forums for any advice on courses, practice tests, questions, and GMAT experiences and it makes me sad that folks here might be using this forum to degrade businesses offering GMAT coaching. Thanks to the e-mail notifications I still get on responses to my posts that I came across the post by nynicks11. I feel sorry that nynicks11 could not benefit from the e-gmat course after trying it for 1 day.

Surprisingly, its the first time I have seen a user make such harsh statements for a course - be it MGMAT, Knewton, or e-GMAT. This really makes me question the intent leading to this post.

Below is a link to my post detailing my GMAT experience.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/finally-done ... 67179.html
I read thru MGMAT books for math preparation and found them immensely helpful. I also read the SC and CR book that MGMAT provides, but unfortunately it didn't quite work for me. Thanks to beatthegmat forums, I was introduced to e-GMAT and I bought the SC course. Their course helped clear my basics and definitely was a major driver to my target score on GMAT. I absoultely love the apprach e-GMAT follows and makes the course so much more interesting than reading from a traditional text book! I have personally worked with the e-GMAT team in preparing both for Sentence Correction and Critical Reasoning and found them very knowledgable and professional.

@bblast - If you have any questions regarding the course, feel free to send me a message and I'll be happy to answer your questions.
Being defeated is often only a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

by er.manas » Wed May 04, 2011 8:57 am
fully agree with Nitya !!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Wed May 04, 2011 9:08 am
I do agree with some of you that MGMAT SC is awesome. I have myself gone through it and really liked it. But the thing with MGMAT is that it assumes you already know the basics. I am like the majority of GMAT aspirants who decide to appear for the GMAT after a few years of work experience and after being away from any kind of study material for a very long time. Unfortunately quality private tutors are not available everywhere.

And I was looking for something that would help me start with scratch and build up my skills from there. That's where E-GMAT came in. A few days of lurking here and there and not really satisfied with anything, I signed up for their E-gmat SC course and was amazed at the systematic approach with which the Sentence Correction course was structured. And I am just so glad that I decided to do so. Right from lesson 1 of the SC I was hooked on to it. The narrative style of the course is simple yet extremely. They have come up with a 'one-size-fits-all' kind of a Sentence Correction process which works for a 500 level gmat question as well as a 750+ gmat level question. It took me about a month to complete the course and my OG-12 SC accuracy shot up to about 90%. I can only credit E-gmat for this improvement in my SC accuracy because their course is like starting with baby-steps and learning all the way to sprint.

My personal experience with e-gmat has been very satisfying and do recommend you to check out at least their trial course. It is really worth it in my opinion. But then again if you are someone who is starting at anywhere above 600-650 in GMAT prep MGMAT might just be right for you.