Extremely Frustrated

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Extremely Frustrated

by [email protected] » Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm
Hey All

I review this forum quite often and find it to be very helpful and inspiring. Well im in need of both. I have been studying for the GMAT since early March and have also just finished taking a GMAT prep course with Manhattan Gmat. I took a preliminary test before the class started and scored a 530. Since the class has been going on i have scored WORSE on every test, (450, 490 twice). I have been studying roughly 18-20 hours a week and pretty much my life is the GMAT. What the heck am i doing wrong? When i do practice problems i have been getting alot right, yet i do horrible on practice tests in all areas. Im taking the test on May 21 and i have no confidence i will do well at all. Please help!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by thebigkats » Mon May 02, 2011 4:19 pm
Hi:

Do you only see the issue when taking timed test or is 530 also under timed conditions. Note that before you conquer time, you must conquer the question types ad fundamentals. So make sure you check what you did wrong and why and then work on it religiously (e.g. I used to overlook the fine print in the question.... "list from greatest to smallest" and I would select the option that had "smallest to greatest").

I am glad to see that "GMAT is your life". It shows dedication... just make sure your energy is in right direction. Find 'your' weaknesses and work on them. It will come to you. And if you think that you are not ready by May 12th or so, then don't hesitate to postpone. No point in going to test half hearted. And keep on reading the success storied here, will give you that inspiration and keep you uplifted

All the best,
---------------------------------
Everything is possible in this world. Even the word Impossible says - I'm possible

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Mon May 02, 2011 4:28 pm
Hey,

I'm wondering what sort of practice tests you've been doing. If it's just MGMAT, it should be less of an issue. I've heard their exams are slightly more difficult than the actual GMAT.

Take the TestPrep software that's downloadable. That will give you a much better indication of where you are.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:27 pm
Just a few questions. Are you running out of time on your practice exams? Is there a specific type of question you are often getting wrong (i.e DS, SC)? When you talk about studying are you simoply doing practice problems or actually studying material and fundamentals and mixing the practice problems in?

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon May 02, 2011 6:43 pm
From your post, I can tell you that you suffer from nothing but panic buddy. You are probably continuously reminding yourself it's a test I need to do well, I need to do well. I am just guessing.

What you need to remind yourself is that practice test scores dont count anywhere and you are free to score badly in it. :) Take your next test expecting the worst.

I seriously recommend reviewing your previous tests. The ones you got wrong, did you get it wrong because you did not know the concept or because you made careless errors?

It is also possible that when you took your first test, you were lucky. You may have got questions from areas you know. In the other two, you got tougher ones? Just review your test. It will help you in some way.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by RadiumBall » Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 am
Let me tell you that MGMAT is very liberal is awarding you points even if you did large number of mistakes...so do not trust MGMAT...

by m.abdulk » Tue May 03, 2011 4:07 am
Hi,

Do not worry..!! Hard work will never go invain...!!

Even i got to knw from this forum that MGMAT tests are much harder than the actual ones.

So relax for a day or two..! brush up a few concepts and take a gmat prep test to see where u stand..!! and i am sure will atleast cross 600 mark..!!

Al d best..!!

by [email protected] » Tue May 03, 2011 7:33 am
Thanks for the kind words and inspiration everyone. Good to know that MGMAT tests are a little harder than the real one. I guess i am panicking becuase i want to do very well on the test an i have been studying for quite a while. For practice/studying i am mostly doing practice problems and if i get the question wrong i review why i got it wrong (whether concept based or careless mistake) Any suggestions on a better way to study? Also on the timed test i am doing pretty well in terms of time, not running out of time on any of them.