3 years, 3 attempts, 620 to 660 to 730

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

3 years, 3 attempts, 620 to 660 to 730

by mahen_gupta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 am
Hi,

This is my First post to this community, which has given me so much encouragement and support during my 3 year long journey. I was virtually devastated after my 2nd GMAT attempt, but this community helped me endure during those tough times. I was almost clueless after 2nd attempt but after reading forums and inspirational message from lot of people here, I decided to go for a 3rd attempt and I finally got it.

I specially want to thank "Anurag" and "GMATGuruNY", whose posts helped me with lot of my questions. Unfortunately, I never posted much on this forum but I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude. Again, need your wishes and prayers to complete my journey to a good business school.

After posting the original one, I thought of sharing a tip, which worked at least for me. I kept some time/question checkpoints during my test for example First 20 minutes and 10 question; next 20 minutes another 10 questions and so on. Just few days back, I read on this same forum that even if you skip some questions but maintain accuracy, you can score good. So I decided to skip/guess some questions and maintained my checkpoints. It worked for me but it may not be the case with everyone.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ssgmatter » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 am
Guptaji!...Congratulations...Please discuss in details what strategies you followed and how you managed the verbal section....
Best-
Amit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mahen_gupta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:52 am
My verbal score got changed from 27 to 33 to 39. I am not an expert as you can see it took 3 attempts to reach 700+ :-) . But if you still want my inputs, I referenced the following materials:

SC - MGMAT, OG10, 11 & 12 + BTG forums
CR - OG10, 11 & 12 + BTG forums
RC - OG12 - I did not focus a lot on this as I considered this as one of my strength.

My Quant score changed from 48 to 47 to 50.

DS - OG + MGMAT Guides (Number properties is really good) + BTG forums a lot + GMAT Club forums - I did lot of work on this as this was my weakness and it really helped during actual test.
Problem Solving - OG + BTG forums + GMAT Club forums

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 am
The attempts are worth it as you have scaled the heights now :).

Congrats on the score and all the best on your journey forward :).
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)