scored 450 please advice

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

scored 450 please advice

by lip3 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:06 pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone would be able to advise me. I have recently scored a 450 on the gmat (Q33, V19). I do not know why I am not scoring that well. I find the OG 12 easy as I am able to do 90% of the questions without a problem. Also, when given extra time I am able to get majority of the sentence correction questions correct. I also have number,word,geometry,sentence question MGMAT books, which I have found very useful. I have read through the powerscore cr, which I know I can improve with more practice. I think all I need is practice, but I am running out of questions to do. I believe I know the foundamentals, but I am still not able to achieve that mark that I would like. I will most likely retake the Gmat in August, which allows me some time. My goal is to get at least 550, but I really want a high 600. Can someone advise me as what I should consider doing? My plan right now is to do more practice tests from MGMAT CAT, and go through the CR questions in the OG 12 and purchase the LSAT CR. What do you guys think? I despritely need your advise. Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by parkman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:16 pm
Instead of doing practice tests it looks like you should practice specifically on the Verbal. Raising your verbal score by 5-10 will do impact your score alot more than the same amount in quant. There are vebal specific books available and your LSAT CR focus is definitely a step in the right direction. Also there are alot of posts regarding verbal study methods available on this site I have found helpful. Probably the single most useful piece of advice I have found with CR is pretending what you are reading is the most interesting thing ever.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by parkman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:18 pm
Here is a link to Twinspinners guide on studying.

https://www.urch.com/forums/just-finishe ... v51-4.html

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lip3 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:38 pm
Thank you thank you thank you so much Parkman. After that recent test, it's great to hear some suggestions and reassurance. I will take a look at the link as well work much hard with my verbal. Your advice is invaluable. Again, thank you so much. By the way, do you recommend any verbal books?

Patrick