GMAT – A game where the scoreboard is hidden from you.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730
This is my first post here. For the past two months I used to visit the forum every day, read the posts and draw inspiration from them. I took my test a few days back (April 21st) and scored a 730. I want to thank the entire BTG community for helping me get the score I dreamt of. BTG rocks!

This was my second GMAT attempt. I scored a 670 the first time. But back then I underestimated the GMAT. I had just prepared from the OG. I had not done any practice tests. I had no idea about GMATPREP or BTG. It is only after joining this forum that I got to know how to crack the GMAT.

First test experience (August 2010) - I did not complete the AWA session on time. So I was worried about whether the second essay got submitted or not. The Quant questions were a level higher than what I had practiced. It took me around 4 minutes to solve the first question. I did not finish the section on time. I had to blindly guess on the last 3-4 questions. Quant was my strong area. So during the break I was thinking - I screwed up Quant, so Verbal is going to be tougher. So it was. Verbal just knocked me out flat. RC passages left me gasping for breath. My stomach was in knots. I had not taken any practice tests. All I did were some OG questions. And this was a completely different experience. In short I panicked like hell. I was expecting a score of less than 600 after my dismal performance and I was pleasantly surprised to see 670 on the screen. And I got a 49 in Quant. Oh only if I had held my nerve. And that is why I decided to re-take GMAT coz I knew if I had kept calm I would have touched 700.

Key takeaways from 1st test - #1 Preparation was not good enough.
#2 - Do not let the performance in one section affect your performance in the next. I had thought I screwed up Quant but landed up with a good 49.

This time around my preparation was much better. I joined BTG. My prep time was around 2 months. I took a lot of practice tests.

Quant - I practiced a lot more questions this time. OG12, 198+ GMAT Prep questions, 300+ BTG question set. And I did a lot of practice tests.
More importantly, I learned that I should not chase every question and I should guess a few questions and let go of those. People who love Math never do that but in GMAT you just have to.

SC - Manhattan SC Guide, Aristotle SC Grail, OG12.
Aristotle Guide helped me get the basics right and then I read through the MGMAT SC Guide. But let me warn you, the real GMAT SCs are not that easy. You won't be able to just split them, apply rules and move to the next question as you do in practice tests. Many at times you will have to go with the option that sounds better.

CR - Powerscore Bible, Ron's videos.
I read through the CR bible, tried learning the strategies. I can't say that it didn't help me at all. But I was using my natural reasoning process more often than any rules to solve the CRs. My CR accuracy was always better when I paraphrased the argument.

RC - OG, GMAT Prep, RC99, Ron's videos.
I listened to Ron's videos and those techniques helped me a lot with the main idea questions. And then in some BTG post I read something that changed the way I approached RCs. For all questions, apart from the main idea questions, the answers are right there in the passage - literally written there - so you just have to find them.

Practice tests - I took the 6 MGMAT tests, Kaplan Diagnostic, Knewton Diagnostic and the GMAT Prep tests. For the last 10 days I just kept retaking the GMAT Prep tests.

My practice test scores if that is of interest to anyone:
Kaplan - 620 ; Knewton - 750 (lot of OG model questions)
MGMAT - 680,680,710,730,730,720 ; GMAT Prep - 730,730.

Test Day - This is another important thing that I read in a BTG post. No matter how prepared you are, GMAT will put you under pressure - expect to panic. So I knew I would panic at some point during the test; I was expecting it. It happened and I handled it well and that was the big difference this time.

AWA section started well, but I screwed up the issue essay. I misunderstood the topic and realized that only half way through my essay. But I instead of panicking I just did the best I could and kept telling myself - this is only warmup. Don't worry yet.

Quant started. I was always in control. I felt the questions were the same level as GMAT Prep questions. I got some really tough ones as well. I guessed on a few questions for which I could not figure out the approach in 20-30 seconds. I finished with 1 minute to spare and was feeling confident.

Verbal started - I was doing ok till around 16-17 questions and I was in control of the time. I started getting tougher questions and soon I was behind time. I was getting a lot of SCs. The ticking clock got me panicking. For an instant I was thinking about the posts I had read in BTG - April, low verbal scores, a lot of SCs. But then I knew I had to make up for the lost time before I could concentrate again. So I made educated guesses on 2-3 SCs and blind guesses on 2 CRs. I caught up with the clock and that helped me relax. I finished the test on time.

I thought I had screwed Verbal. After 4 really long minutes I saw 730 (50Q,38V) on the screen and felt really happy.

Things I learned while taking the test -
#1 - I felt GMAT verbal questions were a bit tougher than the GMAT Prep. But one should not be worried about the number of questions one gets right/wrong during the GMAT. I am sure I got a lot more questions incorrect in Verbal than I ever got in GMAT Prep Verbal, but I got the same score as GMAT Prep.
#2 GMAT is like a cricket game where the scoreboard is hidden from you. You have no idea about the score. You just have to keep playing each ball by its merit and hope you win the game at the end. Keep your nerve and you will be better off.

Thank you everyone once again. I will be around if anyone has any questions. Now that I have cracked the GMAT, I hope to post more on this forum and help others crack the test.

P.S. - I have to confess that I apply the GMAT SC rules to everything that I read these days but not to what I write :D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by thebigkats » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:18 pm
Hi:
Congratulations on your score... nicely done. I also took my GMAT a couple of days ago and am planning to take it again (debating is more like it). After reading your story I am thinking of just going for it

good job again,
---------------------------------
Everything is possible in this world. Even the word Impossible says - I'm possible

by ronin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:03 pm
thanks!
and good luck if you are going to take the exam again.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:43 am
wht is it with tough verbal part and people getting more SC's these days.
scares me soo muchhh

nd ya i almost forgot to congratulate you, (whr are my manners?)
Congratulations!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by armyoftim » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:31 am
Congrats Ronin - great score and great name (especially in the context of applying to B-School)! Also, very good rollup.

One thing - I've been debating getting the SC Grail. I am a native Enligh speaker (from the US) - any thoughts? From your cricket reference, I assume you're either English or Indian (I'd guess the latter), is English a secondary language?

by ronin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:49 am
@rohu - thanks! I felt the verbal part was a bit tougher than the GMAT prep, but i would not say that it was tougher than the GMAT I took the first time. And you should not be worried about what i mentioned about SCs for a number of reasons #1 - I guess even on Gmat Prep I always used to get like 17 sc 13 rc 11 cr. i felt it was about the same spiltup in the real test #2 - then i was under real pressure during the test - so maybe it was just that i felt i got more SCs #3 - if you are behind time and trying to get back on track, it is better to get a twisted SC than a tough CR.
but the main point is - dont be concerned about the number of questions you will get right/wrong while writing the real exam and if you feel that you are not going to finish the test on time spread your guesses in the middle instead of doing it at the end of the exam.

@armyoftin - thanks! you guessed it right. I'm Indian and verbal was really tough for me. Do you have the MGMAT SC book? The SC Grail is not as comprehensive as the MGMAT book but it is written in a more digestible format. So I felt it easier to understand and retain the rules when I read the SC Grail. I feel you should go for the SC Grail if you have difficulty understanding what is written in the MGMAT SC book. hope that helps.

Followed by:3 members

by Black Knight » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:37 am
Congratulations on the great improvement in the score! Can you please share your strategy for RC.I somehow tend to lose concentration after the first two paragraphs and by the time I come to the end of the passage ,I am clueless what did i read .

by ronin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 am
Thanks!
RC used to be very difficult for me initially. But I started taking brief notes while reading and that helped me comprehend the passages better. I watched Ron's videos on RC and my strategy was based on that. https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

I would take a 5 second break after each paragraph, rephrase the main idea of the paragraph, scribble down a few keywords and then move to the next paragraph. I would always ask 'why has the author written this paragraph?' This would help me answer the main idea questions. For specific detail questions I would read the question, choices and then go back to the passage to find the answer choice in the passage. The correct answer for the specific questions would mostly be present literally in the passage. I always read the entire passage; the skimming technique never worked for me.

My suggestion would be to watch the videos, form a strategy based on that and check your strategy out by practicing passages. Hope that helps. Please let me know if you need more info.

by Black Knight » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:39 am
ronin wrote:Thanks!
RC used to be very difficult for me initially. But I started taking brief notes while reading and that helped me comprehend the passages better. I watched Ron's videos on RC and my strategy was based on that. https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

I would take a 5 second break after each paragraph, rephrase the main idea of the paragraph, scribble down a few keywords and then move to the next paragraph. I would always ask 'why has the author written this paragraph?' This would help me answer the main idea questions. For specific detail questions I would read the question, choices and then go back to the passage to find the answer choice in the passage. The correct answer for the specific questions would mostly be present literally in the passage. I always read the entire passage; the skimming technique never worked for me.

My suggestion would be to watch the videos, form a strategy based on that and check your strategy out by practicing passages. Hope that helps. Please let me know if you need more info.
Thanks Ronin for the advice. Will try to follow the strategy you have mentioned. How many passages did you practice in all and how many passages did you practice from RC99 ?

by ronin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 am
i did the first 60+ passages in RC99 and I did all the passages in OG11 and OG12. I also took the GMAT Prep a number of times. So i saw a number of different passages while taking those tests.

by Black Knight » Sun May 01, 2011 10:16 pm
Thanks for the help. Which schools do you plan to apply to ?

by ronin » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 pm
ISB for sure. The rest I am still undecided. Thinking about it.

by Black Knight » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am
Okay. Are you also looking at NUS and NTU ? I'll be applying there,provided I get a good score.Was looking for people who are planning to apply to these schools ?

Followed by:4 members

by archimittal » Mon May 09, 2011 10:57 pm
Congrats,ronin! I liked your post and especially the title. Your GMATPREP scores were exactly similar to your GMAT score. What practice material did you refer to for DS and PS ? I'm unable to find quality DS and PS practice questions .

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by target_gmat2012 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:25 pm
congrats