Best quant prep for complex questions (fluid IQ)?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello All!

I have lots of good quant books to prepare me for questions that can be aced on the basis of knowing black-and-white math concepts (i.e., algebra & geometry formulas, crystallized IQ). But I need prep materials that help me develop my ability to ace tough, subtle, complex quant questions (i.e, fluid IQ). Can anyone recommend anything?

Acing the quant questions that measure fluid IQ is the secret to getting a high score. It's not easy to find a book that has the right prep material for these kind of questions.

Yeah, I have the Official GMAT books. But what else can I get?

MBA Student
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:760

by therealtomrose » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 am
Have you taken/re-taken the GMAT Prep practice tests? They will supply you with difficult, real quant problems. Just do the quant section if you're looking for quant practice.

The practice tests at ManhattanGMAT have tons of really tough quant questions. The thing to do is take practice tests. Then, you'll face questions at the exact right difficulty level for you. If you want, just do the quant portion of the tests. You can also pause and come back later like you're simply using a q-bank.

Also, if you're looking for 800+ level questions, the ManhattanGMAT challenge problem archive is great. Note, the questions in there are harder than what I would expect to find on the real GMAT by one click. If you're looking to drill at a tougher level, it's perfect.

T
Like the advice? Remember to click the "thank" button. It's my only source of gratification :)

-Tom Rose

MIT Sloan MBA, Class of 2011
The MBA Show: https://www.TheMBAShow.com

Full disclosure, I work for
ManhattanGMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-tutor-rose.cfm

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:05 am
yates wrote:Hello All!

I have lots of good quant books to prepare me for questions that can be aced on the basis of knowing black-and-white math concepts (i.e., algebra & geometry formulas, crystallized IQ). But I need prep materials that help me develop my ability to ace tough, subtle, complex quant questions (i.e, fluid IQ). Can anyone recommend anything?

Acing the quant questions that measure fluid IQ is the secret to getting a high score. It's not easy to find a book that has the right prep material for these kind of questions.

Yeah, I have the Official GMAT books. But what else can I get?
I happen to like the Beat the GMAT Practice questions, but I might be biased. :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by yates » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 am
therealtomrose wrote:Have you taken/re-taken the GMAT Prep practice tests? They will supply you with difficult, real quant problems. Just do the quant section if you're looking for quant practice.

The practice tests at ManhattanGMAT have tons of really tough quant questions. The thing to do is take practice tests. Then, you'll face questions at the exact right difficulty level for you. If you want, just do the quant portion of the tests. You can also pause and come back later like you're simply using a q-bank.

Also, if you're looking for 800+ level questions, the ManhattanGMAT challenge problem archive is great. Note, the questions in there are harder than what I would expect to find on the real GMAT by one click. If you're looking to drill at a tougher level, it's perfect.

T
I have the actual GMAT practice exams (paper and pencil). I'm looking for books with lots of challenging drills, however, because I believe practice-makes-perfect. Only by dint of hard, repetitive (i.e., daily studying for at least mone month) work will a person prime their capacity to tackle really tough questions. I was hoping to put my GMAT practice exams off until the end of my studying, to measure whether I've made progress.

Most likely, I'll sign up for online Manhattan GMAT tests.