Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:650

3 Year Undergrad degree

by Iceman1294 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:33 pm
Dear BTG posters,

I joined this webiste a few days back, and unsurprisingly found a lot of Indian MBA Aspirants. Now i found a lot of these ppl to be Engineers (Again hardly a surprise), But i am from that less than 10% minority that wants to pursue an MBA from the US (preferably) and is not an Engineer.

Now since I'm not an Engineer, I don't have a 4 year degree, My undergrad degree duration was only 3 years. This is, as you all know, a huge problem with the US Business schools (Honestly dunno Why).

Can you suggest some good b-schools outside the top 25 which accept a 3 year degree (My GMAT score of 650 & 5 years work ex. puts the top 25 slightly out of my reach).

Just to give you some more background majority of the 10% (Non-Engineering background dudes)have a B.Com. or BBA or B.Sc. in something, I am from an even smaller minority, where I have a Degee in Hotel Management (From India's Best college mind you). So this makes me very worried, coz lets face it, Some university might just consider it as a very academically demanding course.

Would really appreciate if someone can suggest some nice colleges for me.

P.S. - I have nothing against Engineers, personally i think you guys rock, but did u really have to make my life complicated by scoring 790 kind of scores Consistently (Kidding)
Cheers!!

by Adams Baker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:59 am
This really depends on the university and its admissions policies. Some universities may allow you to apply with a 3-year undergraduate degree; however, most will require the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree which consists of 4 years of education. In most cases, you will be given some options you can explore:
# You could get a master's degree in your country and this will count as the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree.
# You could do your senior year or fourth year at the US college where you plan to go for your graduate degree. Some programs may admit you into a graduate program where you can take undergraduate courses at the same time.
# If you have IB, A-levels or top SAT I and SAT II scores, some universities may be willing to waive your 4th year of college.
For more information you may get reference from here https://www.thedegreeexperts.com

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:650

by Iceman1294 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:27 am
Dear Adam,

As per my research so far, I have found that most universities require a 4 year degree (They do not allow or even entertain a 3 year degree), then there are schools that outright mention that they prefer a 4 year degree. There are very few schools that actually accept a 3 year degree. I have been working now for 5 years, would not make sense for me to stop work to pursue a master's degree to pursue an MBA. And mba colleges clearly mention that if i am to take a 1 year masters course, then well, it'll have to be full-time, part-time does not count.

Now of the top 25, 95% schools accept a 3 year degree. Top 25 are aspirational schools for me. I'm looking for schools where i would have realistically good chance of getting in. Therefore, i'm lookin at schools out of top 25 which would accept someone with a 3 year degree.

My GMAT is 650, work ex 5 years.

Would appreciate if you could suggest some schools iff you know of any.
Cheers!!

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by mukul » Mon May 23, 2011 10:40 pm
Iceman1294 wrote:Dear BTG posters,

I joined this webiste a few days back, and unsurprisingly found a lot of Indian MBA Aspirants. Now i found a lot of these ppl to be Engineers (Again hardly a surprise), But i am from that less than 10% minority that wants to pursue an MBA from the US (preferably) and is not an Engineer.

Now since I'm not an Engineer, I don't have a 4 year degree, My undergrad degree duration was only 3 years. This is, as you all know, a huge problem with the US Business schools (Honestly dunno Why).

Can you suggest some good b-schools outside the top 25 which accept a 3 year degree (My GMAT score of 650 & 5 years work ex. puts the top 25 slightly out of my reach).

Just to give you some more background majority of the 10% (Non-Engineering background dudes)have a B.Com. or BBA or B.Sc. in something, I am from an even smaller minority, where I have a Degee in Hotel Management (From India's Best college mind you). So this makes me very worried, coz lets face it, Some university might just consider it as a very academically demanding course.

Would really appreciate if someone can suggest some nice colleges for me.

P.S. - I have nothing against Engineers, personally i think you guys rock, but did u really have to make my life complicated by scoring 790 kind of scores Consistently (Kidding)
Almost all schools accept 3 years. Check this out...

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by mukul » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm
Iceman1294 wrote:Dear Adam,

As per my research so far, I have found that most universities require a 4 year degree (They do not allow or even entertain a 3 year degree), then there are schools that outright mention that they prefer a 4 year degree. There are very few schools that actually accept a 3 year degree. I have been working now for 5 years, would not make sense for me to stop work to pursue a master's degree to pursue an MBA. And mba colleges clearly mention that if i am to take a 1 year masters course, then well, it'll have to be full-time, part-time does not count.

Now of the top 25, 95% schools accept a 3 year degree. Top 25 are aspirational schools for me. I'm looking for schools where i would have realistically good chance of getting in. Therefore, i'm lookin at schools out of top 25 which would accept someone with a 3 year degree.

My GMAT is 650, work ex 5 years.

Would appreciate if you could suggest some schools iff you know of any.
Almost all schools accept 3 year degrees. And its best to talk to the school before making a decision based on that. Check this out...

M

by Adams Baker » Tue May 24, 2011 11:59 pm
There are number of universities around the world that offer 3-year undergraduate programs. If you have received a Bachelor's degree upon completion of such a program then you are eligible to apply to the Wharton MBA program and Michigan Ross institute.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jemmajames » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:52 pm
Hi folks!

With regards to your discussions, now many colleges and universities are now providing fast-track three-year bachelor's degree programs. American University first initiated the program, not as a way to save student's money, but to offer a chance for ambitious and driven students to hit the job market sooner. They realized that these economic downturn, rising tuition costs and the burden of student loans have paved the way for a cheaper way of getting that all-important diploma. In addition cost of higher education in the United States is too much and with the sluggish economy and rising tuition fees have discouraged many from getting into academia. But now many universities and colleges are providing some relief for financially-strapped would-be college students a three-year bachelor's degree. Many educational institutions are now offering the alternative programs, and many others are considering following suit. I read it more here Three-year degrees reduce student financial burden.