Please evaluate my Profile : (top 10 US schools)

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Please Evaluate my profile as per the details listed below:

Nationality : Indian
Work Experience :
Years(as of now):- 4 years
* I am working with one of the Big 4 professional services Firm as a Senior Consultant(Just got promoted).
* I work specifically on Enterprise Resource Planning implementation & review projects as a Functional Consultant.
* Worked as Lead consultant in 5 different projects across different functions ( Supply Chain, Financials, Manufacturing)
* Responsible for Presales Activity( Business Development) in North region: working on proposals, visiting prospective clients, developing a broad solution and identifying process gaps.
* I have worked only for Indian clients and worked at 15 client locations. Therefore I have been exposed to real time functioning of both manufacturing and Services Firms.
* Active in Company recruitment drives.

GMAT : 720 ( VA 37(80%), QA 50(94%)). AWA : Awaited

Academics:
Engineer from Top 15 engineering College, GPA: 7.7/10

Certifications:
Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) (91%)
Six Sigma Certified (Green Belt)

Extracurricular:
At College level:
*leadership positions Held:
Vice Chairman, IEEE student Chapter :-
Coordinator- biggest Technical symposium at college.
Organized events having participation in excess of 3200.
Started a robotics class for first years.
Organized first ever International Event with participation from Foreign universities.

*Member, College Lawn tennis team
*Secretary, Annual Community Lunch initiative for local tribals - This was a college sponsored initiative that aimed to uplift suppressed Tribal castes of our region.

Post Graduation:
Coordinator: Event management, Child Education & Public Relations Group, at an NGO(Education Initiative) for past 2 years.
* Increased enrollment for slum children in our school by 40 %.
* Organized public events and informed parents about importance of education & Hygiene.
* Convinced private schools to admit bright slum children.
* Managing NGO Blog, writing articles for yearly magazine and dealing with corporates for sponsorship.

Vice President, Toastmasters Club, New Delhi.
* Day to day meeting management - deciding on theme, tracking projects progress.
* Won best table Topic Speaker at club level. At present competing in the division level contest.
* Competent communicator module completed.

Founding Member, Toastmaster Club in Delhi suburbs.
* the club is still very small in size but we are working hard to increase participation.

Personal Info:
I am an avid reader: world politics, History, Biographies.
I have done really long road trips : Driven across the highest motor-able road in the world( Ladakh, India) and many more.

Career Goals:
Short term: Strategy consulting ( Operations strategy to be specific)

Please let me know ..
1. Is my profile competitive enough for Top 10 US B Schools? What are the major loop holes in my candidacy?
2. Is my GMAT score enough? I am asking this because Indians tend to have the highest GMAT score in any incoming class. Will additional 30-40 points create a difference?
3. I do not have any international exposure and it is highly unlikely that my firm will send me for overseas projects? How can I improve on this front?

Thanks!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:26 am
Dear sniper,

1. Is my profile competitive enough for Top 10 US B Schools? What are the major loop holes in my candidacy?
Your profile is competitive for a top 10 program; however, decisions are made on the entire application, not just a profile. Since you have a common profile in the global applicant pool, you must find a way to distinguish yourself from similar applicants while making a compelling case for your admission. Your essays, interview, and recommendations are key in your evaluation. Based on your post, I don't see any potential weaknesses in your profile. Your main hurdle will be standing out from the competition who have similar education and experience.

2. Is my GMAT score enough? I am asking this because Indians tend to have the highest GMAT score in any incoming class. Will additional 30-40 points create a difference?
Your GMAT score is competitive and at or just above average for a top MBA program. It is hard to say if increasing your score will significantly strengthen your application. A great set of essays and recommendations is probably more important at this stage. However, if you feel you can get a 750 or higher, then it might be worth spending the resources (time and money) to retake--as long as you don't sacrifice other aspects of your application to do so.

3. I do not have any international exposure and it is highly unlikely that my firm will send me for overseas projects? How can I improve on this front?
International exposure is not a requirement. Some schools might prefer candidates to have international exposure if the program has an international focus, but whether or not (and how much) international exposure matters will vary from program to program. Perhaps you can seek out opportunities to work on teams from different offices at work? or volunteer with a global nonprofit or community organization?

In my humble opinion, the best thing for you to do is to start thinking about your background and coming up with your strategy for how to present yourself effectively in your applications. That way, you are ready to start working on those applications as soon as they are released and can submit strong packages by R1 deadlines.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by sniper » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for the detailed review.

I have just one more question.

Will learning a foreign language add any value on the International exposure front?
I always wanted to learn one but if it helps to build a better profile I would pursue it sooner than later.

Regards
Sniper

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:37 am
Dear Sniper,

Perhaps, but it will depend on how the admissions committee views it. I would suspect it will not be viewed as significant in terms of international exposure. However, if you aspire to work in the country whose language you are learning, then it will demonstrate your commitment to achieving your goals.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by sniper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm
Thank you Lisa for your guidance.

Regards
Sniper