although certain great apes

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

although certain great apes

by force5 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:54 am
Although certain great apes have successfully been taught how to communicate with humans using sign language, it is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.

(A) Although certain great apes have successfully been taught how to communicate with humans using sign language, it is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.
(B) Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans through sign language, some researchers consider these signs to be merely clever ricks done for a reward.
(C) Certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans using signs that are considered by some researchers to be merely clever tricks done as rewards
(D) Although certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans, using sign language; causing it to be considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.
(E) Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans, through sign language, which is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick done for a reward.

Source: Kaplan
OA - B
Last edited by force5 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am
vote for B

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by nitin9003 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:35 am
Although certain great apes have successfully been taught how to communicate with humans using sign language, it is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.

(A) Although certain great apes have successfully been taught how to communicate with humans using sign language, it is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward. (what is considered)
(B) Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans through sign language, some researchers consider these signs to be merely clever ricks done for a reward.
(C) Certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans using signs that are considered by some researchers to be merely clever tricks done as rewards (wrong idiom)
(D) Although certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans, using sign language; causing it to be considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward. I think this phrase has a missing subject. (If wrong please correct)
(E) Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans, through sign language, which is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick done for a reward. (here which is signifying only languages not the complete phrase)

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:53 am
IMO B.

I think that the meaning of sentence implies that it is "sign" that is a clever trick rather than "sign language"
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member

by force5 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:25 am
thanks Nitin9003 and others for the reply. All of you have voted for B so lets talk about B first.
Don't you think B is a run on?? Both sentences are clauses and hence improperly connected. Which rules B out.

Waiting for more responses before OA.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Chaitanya_1986 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 am

(A) Although certain great apes have successfully been taught how to communicate with humans using sign language, it is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.
(C) Certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans using signs that are considered by some researchers to be merely clever tricks done as rewards
(D) Although certain great apes have been successfully taught how to communicate with humans, using sign language; causing it to be considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick for a reward.
(E) Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans, through sign language, which is considered by some researchers to be merely a clever trick done for a reward.

A) is wrong because we dont have idea what IT refers here.....
B) is wrong because it is Run on......
D) is wrong because after ; it should be independent clause, but it is not here....
E) is Correct because which here refers to Sign Language

Here i have one doubt regarding the usuage of Idiom Consider XY, but here others wrong forms are given i.e Consider x tobe y, Consider x as y ......

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:00 am
hi force5
may be i am wrong and oa is not B
but B ,perhaps wrong, not because it is run-on sentence, but for some other reasons
run-on sentence is sentence consisting of two independent clauses which are connected only with comma, but not with conjunction
in B it is not an issue, we have subordinating conjunction although which connects subordinate clause to the main clause
Although -(conjunction) certain great apes have been taught -(subject and working verb of subordinate clause)how to communicate with humans through sign language, some researchers consider-(subject and working verb of the main clause) these signs to be merely clever ricks done for a reward.
why do you think it is run-on sentence?

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:21 pm
IMO B,

Consider X is correct idiom
Consider X to be Y is also a correct idiom

But, i don't think Consider by X is a correct Idiom...hence drop A, C

Op D:-- Semicolon is incorrect
Op E:-- Placement of WHICH seems suspicious

Guys 2 questions:--

1st...am i correct that Consider by X is an Incorrect Idiom???

2nd...The Idiom we apply for Consider...can we apply this same idiom for CONSIDERED???

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmat.gt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:32 pm
IMO C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 pm
force5 wrote:thanks Nitin9003 and others for the reply. All of you have voted for B so lets talk about B first.
Don't you think B is a run on?? Both sentences are clauses and hence improperly connected. Which rules B out.

Waiting for more responses before OA.
Hi,

two independent clauses must be connected by one and only one connector. In (B), "Although" serves precisely that function.

So, unless you've mistyped one of the other responses, (B) must be the correct answer.

(A) is passive; "it" has no proper antecedent.

(C) "done as rewards" makes no sense; if (C) read "done for a reward" or "done for rewards", it would be worth of consideration.

(D) the semicolon is used improperly; in combination with "although", we have sentence fragments.

(E) makes it seem like sign language in general is a clever trick; however, the author clearly means that the apes apparent use of sign language is the trick.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Legendary Member

by force5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 am
Thanks Stuart for explaining. I really appreciate it.
The OA is B

Legendary Member

by force5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:09 am
@thanks everyone for sharing thoughts. It really helps.
Keep sharing guys....

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 am
Can anyone answer my questions please...

2 questions:--

1st...Consider by X is an Incorrect Idiom or Correct???

2nd...The Idiom we apply for Consider...can we apply this same idiom for CONSIDERED???

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:19 am
hi guys,

though i agree B is the best option out of all but I have one doubt in B i.e "Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans through sign language, some researchers consider these signs to be merely clever ricks done for a reward. "---------> initially we are talking about sign language but in the later part of the sentence we use "these signs"............to which "these signs" are refering to???????

can anyone please clear my doubt.........

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:23 am
aspirant2011 wrote:hi guys,

though i agree B is the best option out of all but I have one doubt in B i.e "Although certain great apes have been taught how to communicate with humans through sign language, some researchers consider these signs to be merely clever ricks done for a reward. "---------> initially we are talking about sign language but in the later part of the sentence we use "these signs"............to which "these signs" are refering to???????

can anyone please clear my doubt.........
Signs used to communicate through sign language .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT