Only one alternative-transcript course?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

Only one alternative-transcript course?

by hcueva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:04 am
Hi there,

I'm targeting top schools. I have a 760 GMAT and fairly good extracurriculars and WE, but my GPA kinda sucks (3.2-3.3, electronics engineering).

I decided to take two courses in Bekerley Extension School (marketing and accounting). I just finished marketing and I got an A, but I'm reeeally struggling with accounting, and I'm not sure I will manage to get an A on that one.

I think I can still drop the accounting course, therefore guaranteeing that my transcript will look nice with an A in marketing, but then my transcript will consist of only ONE class.

Which one is worse: an alternative transcript with one A and one B+ (or potentially worse), or an alternative transcript with one A and nothing else?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:21 am
Dear hcueva,

If you believe you can earn a B or higher in the accounting class, then I think you should stick it out and try to earn the highest grade possible. Admissions committees would prefer to see a more quantitative course. Additionally, it will not look bad to earn a B or better in the course.

On a related note, your 3.2/3.2 in engineering does not suck. It will be viewed as a solid/competitive GPA for an engineering degree and your high GMAT further shows your aptitude for business school.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by hcueva » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:46 am
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I do think I can get a B or above. I just had this idea that an alternative transcript was only worth it if one got only A's. But I'll go for it and try my best.

Thanks again!