When to take first practice test?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

When to take first practice test?

by brud89 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:21 pm
I've bought the 8 set series from MGMAT and started making my way into each
book...I've finished the first 3 and am currently on the fourth. When do you guys
think that an appropriate time is to start taking a practice test? I've been eager to
gauge my placement, however I didn't want to take one before my prep because I believe it
would have been a waste of time.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 pm
I still recommend taking one now and the remaining after your first round of prep.

If you take one now and see that you are strong in some areas, you can spend lesser time in the remaining guides. What say?
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 am
You should take a practice test now. Practice tests give you a sense of timing and can gauge your strengths and weaknesses on a test - spread the rest out over your study session and have two left to take one each the two weeks before your test date.

Best of Luck.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by brood1989 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:10 pm
Hey everyone, brud89 here (having problems with my original account). Anyhow, thought you guys
were right about taking an exam now. I scored a 600 after studying for three days, and currently have been going over some of the MGMAT books that are relevant to what I feel I've been missing. Anyway, you guys were certainly right, after doing the test and some questions on the question bank via MGMAT website I found an interesting correlation. It wasn't a particular question but rather the type of question. I found that the % of questions I got wrong was WAY higher in data suffic. questions than problem solving (makes sense since I have never done problems in that manner). Anyhow, I guess I'm going to finish my MGMAT guides, and start doing as many ds problems as possible, and after a couple weeks give a MGMAT practice test a shot and see if I have improved. Thanks!!

by brood1989 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:32 pm
Wow you guys were so correct. My initial Q score was 31 day one,
38 after one week, and I just finished another test and scored 43
after week two. Sure does help to be able to focus on certain
subjects. I just hope this 43 isn't a fluke because I've been
working hard!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am
Great improvement! I just read your comments and noticed that you said that you want to do as many questions as possible. While doing a lot of questions is good, what is really important is the quality of your study. That is, you should make sure that you really review and learn from all the questions that you do but especially the ones that you get wrong, spend too long on, had to guess on, etc...

Good luck!
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

by brood1989 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 am
Understood, thanks for the advice! I really wish the GMAT Prep
software gave explanations after the exam for each question.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:50 pm
Hello again,
All of the questions have been answered online and they usually have pretty good explanations. Just type in the first couple words of the problem in google and you should find the answer to the question.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT