Please Help: Profile Evaluation & MBA College Shortlisti

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:650
Hi,

I'm from India, I have a work ex of almost 5 years and a GMAT score of 650 which expires in 2013.

I feel the time is now right for me to go ahead with my plans for an MBA. I am looking to apply for the Fall 2012 session. However, I am a little confused about a few things:-

1) Is my GMAT score enough to qualify for one of the top 25 colleges (as per FT ranking) in the U.S. I know a GMAT score isn't the only thing, but if i'm not wrong it is used as some sort of a qualifying criteria
2) My Overall percentage during my undergrad is just about 60% (An average of all three years). My undergrad specialization was Hotel Management.
3) I started off my career in Hotel operations but realised after a year and a half that this was not the place for me, so I decided to move on from there. i was working in an NGO for a little more than a year, before I joined my current workplace. for almost 2 years now, I have been working in the BTL arm of Grey Group, i.e. G2 Worldwide. I am currently into Account Management, and my company provides BTL solutions like, Brand Activations, Retail & Exhibit Design, Events etc. I am currently working here in a key accounts profile and handle tow of our most important clients who are from the automobile & two wheeler sector

The thing that i need help with is how to shortlist colleges for My MBA and also if you can suggest some colleges to which I can apply to. So far, I am looking at 2 colleges in India to apply to i.e. ISB & Great Lakes. These colleges are a joint venture of various eminent US universities.

Would appreciate if someone could help me out on this or show me as to how to start shortlisting my schools.

I need to be very precise with my selection, as I want to apply to only 10 schools, where 3 would be aspirational schools (dream come true to get in), 4 would be Good schools where I have a realistic chance & 3 safe schools.

Really need some help on this!

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am
Hello,

There is a key factor that you didn't mention in terms of selecting schools, which is your goals - the goals will essentially drive your learning needs, and thus will be a key element in ascertaining appropriate programs. I suggest that you use my free mini-course which presents a step by step process for developing a solid list of programs to apply to. It guides you through evaluating all relevant factors, including the "pillars" such as GPA, GMAT, and work experience, and also determining what you need and want, and weighting everything appropriately.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, www.Accepted.com