feature of the roller coaster

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

feature of the roller coaster

by kvitkod » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 pm
In terms of physics, the characteristic feature of the roller coaster is that the cars' potential energy, gained through their being lifted by a chain drive through the Earth's gravity to the top of the first drop, has been converted to kinetic energy by the time the ride ends.

(A) cars' potential energy, gained through their being lifted by a chain drive
(B) cars' potential energy, a gain achieved as they are lifted by a chain drive
(C) potential energy from the cars' being lifted by a chain drive
(D) potential energy of the cars, gained as a chain drive lifts them
(E) potential energy gained by the cars, being achieved while a chain drive lifts them

OA is D. I btw A and D.

For me D has a flaw, since the modifier ("gained as a chain drive...") should describe the nearest noun (in D it is "cars" rather than "energy", so the sentence does not make sense). So I take A, which has several flaws as well (e.g. "being"), but this option make sense.

Please, explain when the modifier can describe the noun, which is not the nearest to modifier.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:760

by spark » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 pm
The word "gained" is a past participle, which acts as an adjective and begins a modifying phrase. The general rule for modifiers is that they should be placed as close as possible to whatever they modify. In this case, "as close as possible" gives the flexibility for the modifier not to be placed right next to "energy." I don't have a hard and fast rule for this type of situation, but if it becomes awkward to force a modifier to be right next to what it modifies, then you can use intervening modifiers such as "of the cars" here. Also, "of the cars" is an essential modifier defining exactly which potential energy, so it could not be omitted.

You're right that answer A uses the red flag word "being," and in general the answer is awkward and wordy. Answer B incorrectly uses the subject pronoun "they" to refer to the possessive "cars'."

Hope this helps!
Stuart Park
Simply Brilliant
Stuart is a Harvard grad GMAT expert who scored 760 the first time he took the exam, with 99th percentile quant and verbal scores. He has extensive experience teaching for one of the "elite" GMAT prep companies. Through https://www.simplybrilliantprep.com he offers online classes, private tutoring and MBA application consulting for clients worldwide.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm
@spark

Thanks for your post...can you please suggest finally what should be preferred...?? Awkward Op A or Op D which has a modifier issue...

Also can we expect such questions in GMAT...because after looking at Op D i pick Op A...though i agree that Op A is unclear in meaning which is a serious issue in GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:760

by spark » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:06 pm
Yes, answer D is correct. The modifier is OK in answer D.

You're right that meaning is a very important issue in GMAT sentence correction.

Cheers!
Stuart Park
Simply Brilliant
Stuart is a Harvard grad GMAT expert who scored 760 the first time he took the exam, with 99th percentile quant and verbal scores. He has extensive experience teaching for one of the "elite" GMAT prep companies. Through https://www.simplybrilliantprep.com he offers online classes, private tutoring and MBA application consulting for clients worldwide.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:26 am
Thanks spark , your input really cleared many confusions .

IMO D.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kvitkod » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:42 pm
Spark, thank you