Clinical trials

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

Clinical trials

by atulmangal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 pm
The increasing complexity of scientific inquiry has led to a proliferation of multi-authored technical articles. Reports of clinical trials involving patients from several hospitals are usually coauthored by physicians from each participating hospital. Likewise, physics papers reporting results from experiments using subsystems developed at various laboratories generally have authors from each laboratory. If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?

A. Clinical trials involving patients from several hospitals are never conducted solely by physicians from just one hospital.
B. Most reports of clinical trials involving patients from several hospitals have multiple authors.
C. When a technical article has multiple authors, they are usually from different institutions.
D. Physics papers authored by researchers from multiple laboratories usually report results from experiments using subsystems developed at each laboratory.
E. Most technical articles are authored solely by the researchers who conducted the experiments these articles report.

please post your time also...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 pm
"Most" = "usually"**

So, choice B essentially restates the second sentence of the passage, and thus must be true and is the correct answer.

Because this is an inference question, you can use the Kaplan denial test: If choice B were false, would anything in the passage become false? Well, yeah, since choice B essentially restates the second sentence of the passage, if choice B were false, then so, too, would the passage's second sentence be false. However, the question stem instructed us to treat everything in the passage as true (as you do in all inference questions) and, as such, choice B cannot be false. Or, in other words, it must be true.

**There are three levels of confidence:

Possible: this corresponds to greater than 0% chance and to words like "some"; "can"; "may," etc.

Probable: this corresponds to greater than 50% chance and to words like "most"; "usually"; "likely," etc.

Certain: this corresponds to 100% chance and to words like "all"; "any"; "each"; "every," etc.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:28 am
E: Multiauthor vs sole author
D: various vs each
A: extreme
C: Havent found C in line 1

I agree with B and thank you luv...I copied your theory on level of confid to my dB

@Atul for my brain it took 3min
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:00 am
option B took me 2 mins Atul, but i wasnt too sure abt it as i felt it was restating the same thing in second line(so may be some trap?) but testluv's explanation made it clear.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vidhya16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:28 am
What about choice D?

I rejected the choice B due to the usage of modifier Most.

Ta

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 am
Sorry i didnt start the timer , it must be some time between 1.5 to 2 min .

I was confused by the likely terms such as reports , technical article and Physics papers . So took some time to eliminate.

Thanks Testluv for the TLC . :)

IMO B.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:46 am
OA is B only guys..good work

Special thanks to @Testluv for his guidance

GMAT Score:710

by badpoem » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am
Chose C. - 1:07 :( :( Keep forgetting that I do not need to summarise the entire para in a "must be true".

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 pm
vidhya16 wrote:What about choice D?

Ta
Choice D is tempting and the test-maker most likely designed it to be the "trap" answer choice.

Let's look at the third sentence of the passage:
Likewise, physics papers reporting results from experiments using subsystems developed at various laboratories generally have authors from each laboratory.
However, this doesn't necessarily mean that "results from experiments using subsystems developed at each labaratory" will be reported. Even though there are multiple laboratories involved doesn't mean that experimental results from each and every one of these laboratories will be reported. (For example, it could be that some of the results are outside the scope of the paper. Or, perhaps groups of laboratories collaborated on the same kinds of experiments, each laboratory doing different parts, making reporting results from each of these laboratories redundant or unnecessary.) So, choice C could be false, and is not inferrable.

But you don't have to figure all of that out. If you narrowed it down to choices B and D, you could have asked which one was closer to the scope of the passage or which one introdues new ideas. Choice B only discusses ideas that appeared in the passage, while Choice D goes beyond the passage by talking about results from each laboratory being repoted on in the paper. In inference questions, it will always be safe to select the choice that comes closest to restating the passage, the choice that is completely within the scope of the pasage.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

by vidhya16 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 pm
Thanks TestLuv