Help with Essays

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Help with Essays

by RadiumBall » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:16 pm
Hi,
I need help writing essays...could anyone kindly help me. I looking for the following topics...
1) Please state your post-MBA short and long-term goals.
How will the Esslingen MBA assist you to obtain these goals?
2) Describe a meaningful leadership experience, decision-making challenge or managerial accomplishment. How did this experience affect your professional and /or personal development?

I have been an Independent Contributor for 7 years in the IT domain now...so I am not sure what I should be writing for the leadership experience...so please me with my essays...

Thanks a lot.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 pm
Leadership experience: If you are already a lead or something, you can convert that into a beautiful story.

If not, have u lead a project? Or taken the lead for the others in the team to follow? Something like that will help.

Some crucial project that needed your intervention?

Sent u a PM.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jk2010 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:17 pm
RadiumBall -

The first question is the standard "purpose" essay that almost all schools require. As with any essay, the hardest part is just getting SOMETHING on paper. Brainstorm. With a pencil and paper, write down things that you would like to do with your life. They don't have to be sequential, deep, or meaningful. When you have some goals written down, order them in priority. Then take your top goal and think of the steps you need to get there. For example...if you long term goal is to start your own business (that will eventually save every whale, owl, baby seal, or puppy), think of what you need to do to get there. Perhaps a short term goal that will help you achieve it would be to serve as a consultant so you can learn the ins and outs of how successful businesses operate and allow you to catalog the lessons learned. Then look hard at the curriculum and faculty and see how that school will help you achieve those goals. Why are you interested in School A over School B? I recommend you stay away from "I want to go to your school (school A) because you are ranked higher than school B." Schools already know their rankings, so if you have studied the courses and faculty, it is understood that you have done your research. I think schools want to know about YOU the most....will you make them proud as an alumni?

Regarding the leadership essay, surely you have been faced with a tough problem, a moral or ethical dilemma, or difficult project to manage at some point. Again, write down lots of random notes about the situation. Look at each note and think about what you had to do, why your decision or action was important, and what were the outcomes of your decisions. Think of it like a critical reasoning question / assumption question on the GMAT. Even if you made a bad decision, what did you learn from the ordeal? How did the situation help you grow and mature as a leader or manager or just a human being? You can also play with the format a little bit, perhaps start with a very short vignette in your intro. Fill the body of your essay with all the details, and in your conclusion, tie the vignette back in.

I hope this helps... good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by RadiumBall » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 pm
Wow, fantastic post.

Ok I think I got an idea to show case my leadership skills but I still seem to have some trouble with the first question. Researching the curriculum is a good idea but frankly, as of now I have no intention of opening up a business or even think in that direction. I have over 7+ years of experience in the IT industry and just know that an MBA will increase my brand value. How do you think I should put this in my essay?

Thanks again.