GMATPrep Quetsion

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMATPrep Quetsion

by bharath539 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm
Hello All,

In a certain senior class, 72 percent of male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the senior class are male?

a)There are 840 students in the senior class.
b)75 of the senior class have applied to college.

OA is B. I really don't understand how it is?. Could somebody please explain me.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:53 pm
bharath539 wrote:Hello All,

In a certain senior class, 72 percent of male students and 80 percent of the female students have applied to college. What fraction of the senior class are male?

a)There are 840 students in the senior class.
b)75 of the senior class have applied to college.

OA is B. I really don't understand how it is?. Could somebody please explain me.
Hi,

in it's current form, (2) is not sufficient.

However, if (2) were to read:
75 percent of the senior class have applied to college.
then we could use weighted averages (or ratios) to figure out what percent of the senior class is male.

Are you sure that you reproduced the question correctly? What's the source?

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by bharath539 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:30 pm
Hi Stuart,

You are correct. It is my mistake to miss the word "percent" in the second option. The source is GMATPrep2. Could you please give me more detail about solution using weighted average.
Thank you,
Santhi Bharath

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:53 pm
bharath539 wrote:

1)There are 840 students in the senior class.
2)75 percent of the senior class have applied to college.
Sure! Let's start by breaking down the question stem.

We know that 72% of males and 80% of females have applied to college. We want to know that percent of the entire class is male.

We think: lots of missing information; since the question is asking us for a percent, not an actual number, we may be able to solve without any actual numbers.

To the statements:

(1) total number of students. However, we don't know anything more about the breakdown, so no way to figure out what percent is male: insufficient.

(2) 75% of all seniors applied to college.

Well, we know the percents for the males and the females. Therefore, if we know the total percent, we can figure out the weighting of the two groups: sufficient.

If we actually needed to solve, we could use the weighted average formula:

72%(m) + 80%(f) = 75%(m+f)

multiplying both sides by 100 to eliminate percents:

72m + 80f = 75m + 75f
5f = 3m
5/3 = m/f

if the ratio of males:females is 5:3, then 5 out of every 8 students is male, i.e. 5/8 or 62.5% of the class must be male.

We could also solve by plotting the info on the number line and using a simple rule:

72 -------75------------80

calculate the distances between each group and the total average:

72---3----75----5------80

Here's the rule: the ratio of weights is the inverse of the ratios of the distances.

In other words, the ratio of the 72 group to the 80 group is the inverse of 3 to 5, or 5 to 3.

Abstractly:

Group 1 average---------x------------overall average---------y----------Group 2 average

Group 1:Group 2 = y:x

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

by bharath539 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 pm
Thank you very much Stuart. I understand it now.
Thank you,
Santhi Bharath

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Thouraya » Tue May 31, 2011 5:55 am
@Stuart Kovinsky,

Shouldn't the questions be: What fraction of the students in the senior class WHO APPLIED TO COLLEGE are male? (for B to be correct, otherwise, we can't determine the ratio of all males). Thanks