one of the most tricky CR---expert help needed

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
In an experiment, two-year-old boys and their fathers made pie dough together using rolling pins and other utensils. Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different from those used by the other fatherson pairs, and each father repeated the phrase "rolling pin" each time his son used it. But when the children were asked to identify all of the rolling pins among a group of kitchen utensils that included several rolling pins, each child picked only the one that he had used. Which one of the following inferences is most supported by the
information above?

A. The children did not grasp the function of a rolling pin.
B. No two children understood the name "rolling pin" to apply to the same object.
C. The children understood that all rolling pins have the same general shape.
D. Each child was able to identify correctly only the utensils that he had used.
E. The children were not able to distinguish the rolling pins they used from other rolling pins.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by pankajks2010 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 am
Although, I am not an expert..it seems the answer is B

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 am
IMO - B
Atul Plz Confirm
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 am
Yeah you are right...OA is B

My case is i reached this answer by using POE...didn't get the meaningful feel of this Op...

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 am
atulmangal wrote:Yeah you are right...OA is B

My case is i reached this answer by using POE...didn't get the meaningful feel of this Op...
P1: Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different, and each father repeated the phrase "rolling pin" each time his son used it. --> Means Each child related the phrase to unique rolling pin.

P2: The children were asked to identify each child picked only the one that he had used. - Since each rolling pin was distinctively different and child related the phrase with unique one, they picked the one used by them.

Con: No two child understood rolling pin as same otherwise they could pick rolling pin used by some other child.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MartinK » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Really nice CR question and I chose B as well, for the same reasons that were mentioned above.

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:49 pm
Target2009 wrote:
atulmangal wrote:Yeah you are right...OA is B

P1: Each father-son pair used a rolling pin that was distinctively different, and each father repeated the phrase "rolling pin" each time his son used it. --> Means Each child related the phrase to unique rolling pin.

P2: The children were asked to identify each child picked only the one that he had used. - Since each rolling pin was distinctively different and child related the phrase with unique one, they picked the one used by them.

Con: No two child understood rolling pin as same otherwise they could pick rolling pin used by some other child.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Abhishek,

Your post really helped...actually the linguistic style of Op B seems to me unclear...or you can say i was not able to understand the intended meaning of Op B...I read some reviews about this question and come to know that most of the people answered wrong..its good u solved it and get the meaning in one go...