Evaluation/Advice regarding work experience

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Evaluation/Advice regarding work experience

by kris1441 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:07 am
Hi Stacy,

I would greatly appreciate your evaluation and advice regarding a few things.

I plan to apply to several top 10 schools in the first round of applications in the fall (2011). I would like your thoughts about how to best strengthen my application prior to that time.

A brief profile:

3.58 GPA - Electrical Engineering - Mizzou (Graduated May 2009)

Will return in late May from nearly two years overseas working for an NGO in Afghanistan, where I managed/oversaw several development projects, paid salaries to over 30 staff, managed the budget and all finances, learned to speak, read and write the language, and learned about the people and culture.

My plan post MBA is to return to the developing world and continue to aid in the development process through helping to create jobs and possibly through training local business leaders.

Since I have been overseas for the last two years, I haven't had the chance to take the GMAT yet, but have tested around 720 on the three GMAT practice tests I have taken thus far.

My main question regards what I should do for the year between returning from overseas and starting a full time MBA program. Will it weaken my application a lot if I apply in September (2011), after being back in the states for 3 months, while simply working a low level job to pay the bills until starting a full time MBA program the coming August? If so, what type of things should I explore as far as jobs/internships are concerned? It is too short of a period for me to land any decent job, so I am unsure where to even start looking, or if I need to be too picky.

Second question: What do you think of my chances overall (assume I end up with around a 720 GMAT) at the top schools? Any advice/things to focus on while filling out the applications?

Lastly, would a 750 or 760 significantly increase my chances? Is it worth/encouraged to take the GMAT a second time if I get a 700-720 the first time around?

Thank you for your help.[/img]

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am
Dear kris1441,

While you will only have a year between your return and entering business school, it is enough time to work in a position that is meaningful to your future goals. Perhaps a one-year internship with an NGO in the US? or with a for-profit company that is related to the type of development work you wish to do? Once you start looking, you might be surprised at what you find. Of course, you do need to pay bills and cover expenses, so working in some capacity to achieve that is always best--just try to find something in an industry or the like that is related to your future goals. Likewise, find 1-2 significant activities to be involved with when you return.

I do think you are building a competitive foundation for your applications. Assuming your score in the 700s on the GMAT, you will have a strong profile. Decisions are made on more than a profile though, so be sure to use every application component to strengthen your case for a seat in the class. Whether or not a 750 v. 720 will make a difference is hard to say...once you are above the average for a school, how much above average loses significance. However, if you feel you can achieve a higher score on a subsequent attempt, it might be worthwhile as a higher score won't hurt you for both admissions and scholarship decisions. I would suggest weighing your resources (time, money, etc.) once you have your first GMAT score and determining if there is enough additional benefit to a retake.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me