Request for profile evaluation: 730, 6.5 yrs IT

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hello Stacy,

I would like to get my profile reviewed and need inputs on the range of colleges I can safely focus on. I would appreciate if you could spare a minute or two.

Here's a brief about my profile:

GMAT 730 (V 43, Q 47) AWA - 4.5 (37%) -- appeared in mid 2009.
Experience: 6.5 years into IT sector. (with roles such as Programmer, Designer, Team Lead) + (Significant overseas exposure)

Graduation - B.E. (ECE) -> 76%, MD University, India
School - X -> 76%, X+2 -> 77% (CBSE, India)

I have occasionally been involved with some extra curricular and social volunteering activites since school, college, and during career.

Career Expectations: I am looking to pursue MBA program for career growth in my current field. i.e. IT sector.

I have few questions:
1. How would you rate my profile? What kind of schools should I target? Are global top-10 or top-20 a reasonable target?

2. Though I have done fairly well in my professional career and am recognized by managers and clients, I do not have any letters of promotion or "written" client appreciations to show as proof to the admissions committee. Can this pose a problem? How can I circumvent this?

3. Is the low AWA score (37%) a cause for concern? Do business schools pay significant attention to AWA as well?

4. How would my percentage at Graduation (76%) convert to the GPA? What would be my approx GPA at this %age?

I really appreciate your responses.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:40 pm
Dear bschaspire,

1. How would you rate my profile? What kind of schools should I target? Are global top-10 or top-20 a reasonable target?
Admissions decisions are based on the total application, not just a profile. It is good to have a sense of how competitive you are for a program based on your profile versus the school's class profile, but being above average on your profile is not a guarantee of admission. Based on the limited information in your post, you have the foundation for a competitive application to any program. However, you are applying with an over-represented background and thus should come up with your school list accordingly. For example, a possible target list might include 1-2 top 10, 2-3 in the 10-25 range and 1-3 outside the top 25.

2. Though I have done fairly well in my professional career and am recognized by managers and clients, I do not have any letters of promotion or "written" client appreciations to show as proof to the admissions committee. Can this pose a problem? How can I circumvent this?
You do not need to supply letters of promotion or appreciation as part of your MBA applications. You do need to find at least 2 people who are willing to be your recommenders, with one being a current or former supervisor. Recommenders should speak highly and positively about you, have worked with/known you for at least a year, and can provide insight into you as a professional (your skills, work style, etc.).

3. Is the low AWA score (37%) a cause for concern? Do business schools pay significant attention to AWA as well?
Perhaps. Some schools pay more attention to the AWA than others. You will have your essays to mitigate the AWA as these offer another example of your written skills. Likewise, it is probable you will also need to take the TOEFL which will give you another opportunity to demonstrate your solid grasp of English and strong verbal skills.

4. How would my percentage at Graduation (76%) convert to the GPA? What would be my approx GPA at this %age?
For the most accurate conversion, you might consider having your transcript evaluated by a credentialing service. Some schools do publish their own conversion tables, but you will find variances there. With Indian schools, 76% is generally high marks. If you graduated first class or first class with distinction, then you are on par with most international applicants on the GPA measure.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bschaspire » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 am
Thanks Lisa for the feedback. Your response is certainly fruitful and has boosted confidence.

Can you please suggest if taking TOEFL is mandatory or optional (to circumvent low AWA) for applying to US/European B-schools considering I have completed my Education in English language, have worked in US for a significant period, and have a valid GMAT score.

Thanks
Kapil

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 am
You will want to verify the requirements of each school you apply to regarding the TOEFL. Many schools in the US do require the TOEFL of international applicants with bachelor's degrees from India.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me