Request for a brief profile evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I would like to get some idea about how much (if at all) my GMAT score might help me get into one of the top 10 schools. Please note that I haven't given my GMAT yet. As of now, I feel I'll land up around 700-720.

My profile:
1. Undergraduate in Computer Engineering from India - GPA: 3.8
2. Masters in Computer Science from University of Southern California - GPA: 3.5
3. 2.5 years of work experience working as a software engineer at Apple. No team leading experience. As a side note, its almost impossible to get to lead a team in R&D at Apple in such a short period of time but I can get some good recommendations.

Other:
1. Have completed many leadership/management/communication related classes for prospective leaders at Apple.
2. Have overseen business and operations related activities including creating business plans for a small non profit organization (based in Belgium but operates also here in the US) working directly alongside the founder.
3. I don't know if this counts but although I don't exactly have a management/leadership profile at work, I was a lead for a project (a team of 4) and it turned out to be very successful. My manager can give me some good recommendation based on my work.

Question: Can a GMAT score of 730-750, help me compensate for my weak profile in order to get into one of the top 10 schools. Do I stand a realistic chance at all of getting into such a school? I wanted to have a very general idea about where I stand with my current profile.

Also, there are many volunteering opportunities (mostly community service related activities) at Apple. I haven't participated in any yet, but would it make sense to participate in one after my GMAT, close to the application time frame? Did read somewhere that desperately trying to do some volunteering work before applying raises a red flag. Is that true?

Also, I would be taking help from one of the consultancy companies to prepare my application so I could have an otherwise strongly prepared application.

I guess my question is, would any of the above count?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am
Dear john.doe.hello.world,

Without a complete profile, it is tough to comment on your chances at any school. However, from what you have posted, you appear to be building a competitive profile for many schools including top 20 programs. You have a high GPA from both your undergraduate and graduate work, so a GMAT in the 700's will only cement your academic profile as above average--an important hurdle to clear for top 10. In your limited experience at Apple, you have gained some quality experience with your project lead accomplishment being an asset for your resume (and great example for an essay). Your work with the nonprofit will also be valuable to your applications as it shows your leaning toward business and meaningful work outside the office. I do think you could also do some volunteer work with groups at Apple to supplement your extracurricular activities; however, you will want to start those as soon as possible--not wait until a couple of months prior to the application deadline. From my perspective, I don't really see any glaring weaknesses in your profile so far. Scoring well on the GMAT, picking recommenders wisely, and writing compelling essays are the remaining tasks to giving yourself the best chance of admission at any school you target...as well as crafting a strategic target list of reach, reasonable and safety schools. Signing on with a consultant would be helpful on many of these tasks and it is not too early to do so if you are planning to submit applications in the early rounds for a fall 2012 matriculation.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by john.doe.hello.world » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:08 am
Thank you very much for all the advice! Greatly appreciate it!