Report my second score? Retake the test?

This topic has expert replies

Should I retake the GMAT?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Report my second score? Retake the test?

by Calif12 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:20 pm
Hi Stacey,

Background: I just took the GMAT today for the second time with the hope that I would raise my quantitative score and maintain or raise my verbal score. I also wanted to raise my total score since it isn't great.

Stats on the two tests:
First: Q:39 (58th percentile), V:35 (76th percentile), 620 overall, 6 AWA
Second: Q:41 (64th percentile), V:34 (71th percentile), 620 overall

I did manage to raise my quantitative score, but my verbal score slightly lowered and my overall score stayed the exact same (620).

The reason I wanted to raise my quantitative score is because I graduated in chemical engineering and thought it looked really bad to have such a large gap between my math and verbal performance. I thought I would be able to receive a much higher score overall because on the first test I took, I guessed on quite a few quantitative questions at the end when I ran out of time.

I have two questions:
1.) Should I report the second score because the gap between my math and verbal scores decreased even though the overall score is the same?

2.) Should I retake the test a third time to try to get a higher overall score? I don't know if I have a good enough profile to get into the schools I want to and I also don't know if I can score higher.

I am applying to 6 schools and want to get into at least one. I am applying to the UCLA part time, USC part time, UCSD part time, Berkeley part time, Harvard, and Stanford. I graduated (engineering) from UC San Diego.

I am not sure if I have a good enough profile to get into any of them (I am at the bottom of the mid 80% range for all schools).

I also don't know if I can score higher if I take it again. I did the Kaplan course and I think it helped a lot. I took the first test in October and studied over 100 hours. For the second test, I took a few practice tests, reviewed formulas, and studied some questions in the GMAC book (~20 hours - not great, I know but I was working hard on my applications instead of studying). In hindsight, I would have done all the problems in the GMAC book and obviously would have studier longer. I previously did both the free PowerPrep tests from GMAC as well.

Can you tell me if I am in the ballpark of applying and getting into the schools I want to go to?

- 2.9 GPA from UCSD, chemical engineering major. The classes were hard, but my grades from my major got higher as I neared graduation (they were more applied and less theoretical - I have always been smart but not stellar in school).
- Internships in school: Clorox (Chemist), Johnson and Johnson (chemist), UCSD Environmental Engineering Department (Environmental Engineering)
- Job out of school (current): Kodak (systems engineering), 2.5 years. My current and former boss should write good recommendations as they think highly of me. They are currently working on them.
- Current extracurricular activities: 1.) Project management Institute: Newsletter Editor, Marketing Lead for annual conference; 2.) UCSD Alumni Association: Networking Chair, 3.) Girl Scouts: various activities including camp counselor, will be leading two workshops at an event in January.
- GMAT: 620. I have always been a bad test taker. I don't know why it is but I know part of the reason is I am too slow. I worked on this when practicing the second time for the GMAT and I finished all the problems on the second GMAT, although I had to make a few educated guesses. However, I am determined and have perseverance, which I believe has helped me get this far in life.
- I am a female, which adds diversity and may count for something.

I don't know what to do! Please help out.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 pm
1) You will have to report what they ask you to - some will ask for highest score on each section, some will ask for most recent. If they just ask for highest overall, it would be a 620, and you should choose the test with the higher quant.
2) If you think you have a chance of improving, you shoud retake. From what I know of your profile, most of the schools on your list will be a stretch, so you should so what you can to maximize every aspect, including GMAT.

Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:14 am
I have just voted for "yes"
and therefore am posting the reason here.
dear calif12,

i believe Being a Chemical engineer, you can improve you GMAT score esp the Math part at least.

I know, Chem engg deals with similar topics that are tested in GMAT Quant but at advanced level.
...with calm n composed mind, good approach i think you can crack the GMAT.
you have the potential.
Just go for it.

by Calif12 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:45 am
Thank you for your responses. I have decided to take the test a third time and take a different approach to studying. I think that this will mean that for several of the schools I am applying to, I will have to submit my application in the third round. Thanks again for the advice!

by Dabolix » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:16 pm
Calif,
Just remember. Spending a lot of effort studying is not time well spent if you are misguided in your studying. My advice would be to make a plan, and be methodical. What are your weaknesses in quant? If you don't know you should, then you should do loads of problems that address those areas -- and then, most importantly break the problems down, so if you were to do them again, you'd get them right.
Just my two cents, for what it's worth (will find out in a week)