faced with an estimated $2 billon

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

faced with an estimated $2 billon

by clock60 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:43 pm
hi guys
this problem was discussed not once, but i did not find the answer on my particular question
i readily admit that the problem tests ||-ism, but i can`t understand why
[spoiler]proposed........ to maintain .......and to subsidize in A is better then
propose to reduce.........and to subsidize in C
it will be great that somebody helps me with this problem
may be some other issues exist that i am missing
also og says nothing about ....year that was allocated....in C as misplaced modifier,perhaps it is exception of the touch rule that states that noun modifier must touch noun it modifies, but not sure [/spoiler]
thanks
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.
(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and for subsidizing
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions, and to subsidize
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions and for the subsidization
oa is A

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:10 pm
let me give a try here:

Option B - amount it was allocating - what does it refer to? it cannot be city as it is a possessive case here.also the the parallelsim case a su mentioned.
Option C - the modofier is put off in commas which would make it a non-essential one. is that the case here? according to the original sentence its not. also i dont think its a noun modifier, so the touch rule wont apply here. correct me if im wrong.
parallelism again violated here too.
D-reduction of is not a correct idiom, shud be reduction in. again 'it' causes ambiguity here.
E-not only awkward,unparallel but also pronoun error, what does they refer to?

does it help?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by pesfunk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 pm
even i'm struggling with C :(

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:22 pm
(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize

(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize

IMO A.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Followed by:1 members

by tetura84 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm
Let's give it a try.
A vs C
The city mayor proposed ONLY ONE thing.
17% reduction in the amount.
This reduction will do two things.
to maintain .... and to subsidize ....

It is not that mayor proposed two things,
to reduce .... and to maintain

also, in C, I have issue with COMMA + by nearly 17 percent + COMMA
Is it acting like an appositive?
If yes, it is modifying reduce. But it is wrong, it should modify the amount.
But I need experts comment here.
78 clicks can change my life !

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by singh181 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 pm
Good Q. Initially I was confused between A and C, but when I separated the // part, it made more sense.

(A)
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year
- to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and
- to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

(C)
Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's mayor proposed
- to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city's major cultural institutions and
- to subsidize hundreds of local arts groups.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by amir_hatef » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 pm
Can an expert come and comment b/w A and C? I myself selected A at the first glance but now when I am looking at the elements of parallel in choice C, it seems grammatically parallelism is fine but I'm not sure whether the parallelism logically right or not!!!?

Ron, Guruny, Tim, Geva, Jim, and other experts come and help us.

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:02 pm
hi guys
thanks to all for replies and ideas
i start to think that the issue between A and C is not ||-ism, or at least not grammer ||-ism
but non-essential modifier , by nearly 17 percent,which in general can be omitted without harm, but here dropping it results in non-complete sentence that lacks essential info
also think that it would be great any experts reply on this sentence, as it looks not trivial one

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:07 pm
A maintains tense and parallelism

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:23 pm
i was asked to comment on a PM.
tetura84 wrote:Let's give it a try.
A vs C
The city mayor proposed ONLY ONE thing.
17% reduction in the amount.
This reduction will do two things.
to maintain .... and to subsidize ....

It is not that mayor proposed two things,
to reduce .... and to maintain
this is an excellent analysis.
(a) has correct parallelism.
the words that APPEAR parallel in (c) are not words that are supposed to be parallel in the first place, so that "decoy parallelism" is irrelevant.

if you are interpreting "reduce" and "maintain" as parallel elements, then that means you aren't thinking about the meaning of the sentence.

not considering the meaning of sentences in SC is a huge, huge mistake, since so many things (parallel elements, usage of modifiers, verb tenses, etc.) necessarily flow from the meaning of the sentence! if you don't consider what the sentence means -- i.e., if you simply analyze it from the standpoint of grammar alone -- then you are shutting yourself out of reliably being able to find any of these mistakes.
when you read the prompt of an SC problem, READ FOR MEANING FIRST!
don't worry about being able to pick out mistakes in the prompt -- you'll find the mistakes when you compare the answer choices to each other.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:01 pm
hi Ron
thank you for reply, it is clear now
but one more question
can we reject C on the grounds of misplaced modifier
-year that was allocated for the maintenance perhaps it is not year that was allocated, but rather ammount
or i must treat it as
the amount......... that was allocated for the maintenance
in this case we have no problem with modifier, but rather exception of the touch rool, and the main issue of the sentence is intended meaning
thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm
clock60 wrote:can we reject C on the grounds of misplaced modifier
no.
this is not an exception to any rule; the "touch rule" does *not* apply to modifiers starting with the relative pronoun "that".
these modifiers do have to placed in locations where their intended modification is clear -- and they should, of course, be placed as close to the intended referent as possible -- but this doesn't mean that they have to touch the referent.

for proof, check out problem #50 in the verbal section of the og11 or og12 DIAGNOSTIC section (not the regular SC section); in that problem, the correct sentence contains
a way of distributing songs and full-length recordings on the Internet that will protect...
... so, as we can see, "that"-modifiers can work over quite a long distance, if necessary.
(note that there's no legitimate location where this modifier could be placed closer to "a way" -- substantial justification for placing it so far away.)

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member

by clock60 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:25 pm
thanks again Ron
one of the greatest replies i`ve ever seen
you rock!!!

by nileshdalvi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:18 am
Hi Ron,

If the touch rule does not strictly apply to "that", then why is it that in Q.40 in OG SC Diagnostic, "one of the Kirchoff's laws that" is incorrect because "That appears to refer to laws rather than one".

Is there any difference in the use of that in Q.50 and Q.40?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 am
nileshdalvi wrote:Hi Ron,

If the touch rule does not strictly apply to "that", then why is it that in Q.40 in OG SC Diagnostic, "one of the Kirchoff's laws that" is incorrect because "That appears to refer to laws rather than one".

Is there any difference in the use of that in Q.50 and Q.40?
that, frankly, is one of the particular instances in which the OG answer key authors are just ... well ... wrong. ironically, they are wrong for reasons that they actually mention themselves (!) -- namely, because the verb is singular, we know that it can't go with "laws".

in my experience, some small but not totally insignificant percentage of the OG SC answer key comments are ... wrong. i'd say a couple percent.
the questions are essentially flawless, but many of the answer keys are (a) wrong, in the worst cases, or (b) missing extremely important elements of the problem -- things that the problem's actual author never would have left out of an explanation.
i.e., it's very easy to tell that the answer keys aren't written by the same people who write the questions (and that the people who write the questions are more talented than the people who write the answer keys! ... better than the other way around, for sure)

the OG is still an excellent resource, all things considered. but it's not perfect.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron