BTG Practice question difficulty 400-550

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: "Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isn't a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing."

The speaker's conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that

the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare
commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars
commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion
this is an unconventional war
whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war

OA E

This is an argument type question, can some guide me how to solve these type of questions?

It would be great if an expert could advice or someone could redirect to me a post with some expert comments shedding light in this regard.
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:740

by force5 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:55 am
A paratrooper, when asked whether he believed the military objective was important, commented: Well, it sort of commands the valley, so it would be important in a conventional war. But this isnt a conventional war, so I guess it means nothing.

The speakers conclusion would be most strengthened if it were true that

the conclusion is - since this is not a conventional war military objective means nothing..

choices

(1) the speaker is skilled in conventional warfare ( irrelevant)
(2) commanding a valley is important in unconventional wars ( weakens - refer to the conclusion)
(3) commanding the valley is an objective in the war under discussion (weakens- refer to the conclusion)
(4) this is an unconventional war (already stated hence cant support)
(5) whatever is important in a conventional war is unimportant in an unconventional war ( strengthens- since it explains the difference between the two wars hence strengthening the fact that military objectives are not important in the unconventional war)

All the best..