3 months for the GMAT - Exam Prep / Strategy Guidance please

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I am planning to give the exam in about 3 months. Shooting for June end - July first week or so. Aiming for atleast a 700 plus score to have any reasonable shot at the top schools.
Could you please provide some prep guidance/advice?
Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:07 pm
Go to Study Plans above.

You will see many study plans.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 am
Have you had a practice test to assess where you are?

You have not said that you want to get any kind of assistance like a GMAT course, but here is a response that I gave to someone who asked if they should take a course - it might help you to think about taking on the challenge ahead of you.

I generally give the following guidelines to people who have the same sort of question that you do - self-study or get some help.

1) How close are you to your goal right now? You say that you need above a 700. If you take a practice test now and you score within 100 points of your goal then you could get there in 3 months, if you are more than that distance away it could be tough on your own.

2) How much time can you devote to your studies? You have three months - to do it alone does take more time. If you can put in 20 - 30 hour weeks then you have a better chance of doing it on your own, or with books. If you are busier with work, and can only do something like 15 hours a week then you may be a candidate for getting some help. 12 weeks at 15 hours may seem like a long time, but it may not be enough to review all of the concepts and develop your own best techniques for each question.

3) Are you the kind of person who generally looks at something and tries to figure out the best way of doing it? If you plan your errands so that you have no left turns in traffic or so that you drive the fewest miles then you are a better candidate for self study. If you are a person who does better with some tips and techniques and maybe even a little more you might want to get some help.

4) How disciplined are you? Some people can set a schedule and stick to it. Others do better when they have a class coming up and they know the homework will be reviewed.

5) When was the last time you had a math class? The more you need to review the help you may need.

6) Time or money? It costs more to take a course (maybe $700 for an online course with books), but it takes longer to do it yourself.

Best of luck
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sidsalil » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:56 am
HI David,
Thanks for your reply and yes I should have provided following details on my original post...

1) I have registered Kaplan class program starting this weekend...which will be done around end of May
2) I did an initial calculation and mathematically it looks like I can devote 2 hours every weekday and about 8 - 10 hrs on Saturday/Sunday which means around 18 hrs per week
3) I have yet to take the initial practice test and expect to do this by early next week....
4) Although I havent taken exams of this kind in a long time I feel confident of being able to manage GMAT Math as against Verbal. I have always found RCs to be a challenge...
5) Since my classes end by May I am planning to take the GMAT test by June end - July first week. I have heard that usually students are recommended to take the final GMAT within 4-6 weeks after the last class so still have to finalize an actual date as such...

Thanks.