A date with GMAT on valentines's day:700 (Q50,V35)--AWA 5.0

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700
hi everyone ,

I took my GMAT on 14th February and scored 700 (Q50,V35).It is not a very great score,but I am happy with it.
I would like to give my huge thanks to Beat the GMAT.It's a wonderful community and it helped me a lot in my GMAT preparation.
Actually I wanted to post my debrief immediately after the test, but I got too busy in my brother's wedding preparation and completing pending works at my workplace.

I studied seriously for around 63 days.On 10th December,I scheduled my test for 27th January.I wanted to take the test ASAP as I wanted to apply in the 3rd round.After scheduling the test, I started preparing hard.I used to study for 6-7 hrs a day.I had taken enough no of tests and I was scoring in the range 690-710.23rd January was a Sunday.Only four days were left.I was too excited to take the test.I thought now I should keep all the required things in the bag I wanted to take to the test centre.But I had done a BIG mistake while scheduling my test.I had not read the instructions on mba.com carefully.I had not even read the GMAT bulletin.I had just read the FAQ on mba.com .FAQ on mba.com states that " The ID must be government-issued, valid (not expired), original (no photocopies), legible".I had a PAN card issued by Indian Government.So I thought the PAN card would do.I kept my PAN card in the bag.I recalled I had read somewhere on the mba.com that "The name on your ID card should match exactly with the name you entered while registering for GMAT "and I don't know what came in my mind,I just typed "ID PROOF FOR GMAT" on google and I came across a post on BTG.It was posted by a guy staying in India who had lost his passport just before the test day and hence he was not allowed to take the test.I was shocked after reading that post.I was totally blank.Then I started searching more and more for ID proof related posts.But couldn't get an exact idea.I immediately opened mba.com and started reading FAQ on mba.com again.But then it was not mentioned that you must have passport to appear for the test.I closed the FAQ window and started reading "What to expect on test Day"column.There was one link "Presenting proper Identification" I clicked on that link.It was written there that "If you are testing in Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong), India, Japan, Pakistan, Singapore, or South Korea, you must present your passport as your identification".I stay in India and hence the only ID proof I can present was PASSPORT,which I didn't have.For an emotional fool like me ,it was a great shock.Earlier I had filled Passport application form twice,but didn't submitted the documents on time.I wish I had done so.It was really stupid of me :( .Then I contacted a passport agent.He told me that it will take minimum 7 working days to get the passport under "Tatkal scheme".We started the procedure.I decided that I will book a slot as soon as I get passport in my hand.The agent told me that I will get passport on 11th Feb.I looked for next available slots on mba.com. There was one slot available 14th Feb.But there was no guarantee that it will be available till I get the passport.Due to some reason related to my job,it was not possible for me to postpone the test beyond 14th.Everyday I used to check on mba.com & pray that nobody book that slot.Luckily nobody booked that slot & I booked the only available slot on 14 th feb.
Please read each & every instruction on mba.com very carefully.

Resources :

It is very important to study from the right kind of material.On various sites you may come across something called brutal questions.According to me it is sheer waste of time.

BTG Forums --- I was addicted to BTG a lot during my preparation period (11th Dec to 14th Feb)..I was one of the top members during the whole period..But please look for a source before solving any BTG question.It can affect your test score greatly.In my earlier period of preparation I just used to randomly solve BTG questions without even looking for a source of the question.

OG-12 --- A must read.I solved all SCs & CRs twice.

Manhattan SC correction --- I also used to go through SC forums on manhattangmat.com.But I found that SCs from MGMAT tests are very different from those in actual GMAT.We can easily point out errors in MGMAT Test SCs.But it is not the case with actual GMAT SCs.On manhattangmat.com, there is a forum GMATPrep Verbal.It contains some great questions from GMATPrep.Ron has provided really nice explanations.But go through this forum only in last days of your preparation after you take GMATPrep I & II

Powerscore CR bible ---This is again a great book.It has many pages.But it is really worth reading all these pages.

RC-99 --- My weakest area was RC.I tried to solve few RCs from RC-99.But couldn't improve my hit rate much :(

Princeton 1012 GMAT questions --- It is good for additional practice.But few CR questions are really strange.They have simply copied them from OG & have just changed the matter a little.

Kaplan Premiere --- It has some good question.You will also get a CD containing six tests when you purchase the book.But don't dare to attempt these tests.In my last days of preparation,I was scoring in the range of 690-730.But in one of the Kaplan test I scored just 570.I couldn't eve complete the verbal section.Then I read few comments on BTG related to Kaplan tests & got to know that they are not at all actual indicator of test.I didn't touch the Kaplan CD later.

Kaplan 800 --- It has some good CRs.Quant questions are too good.

Few LSAT papers --- I solved few LRs from LSAT papers. Those were really good.You can download few LSAT papers from internet.

I am from an engineering background and my Maths is quiet good.So I spent very little time on Maths.I just spent 10% of the total time I studied on Maths.But I was sure of scoring at least 50 in Maths.I am attaching herewith a timer I downloaded from gmatclub.com.It is too good.In my last few days of preparation I timed each question using this timer.

Tests I took:
Take as many tests as you can.It helps a lot & try to take complete tests (including AWA sections).
MGMAT & GMATPrep are best.
Actually I had heard that Maths in MGMAT is very tough compared to actual GMAT Maths.But in my case it was the other way round.I found Maths in actual GMAT tougher than the MGMAT tests.

GMATPrep I : 590 (Q49, V22)
Knewton free Test : 590 (Q49, V25)
MGAMT-1 : 690 (Q46,V38)
MGAMT-2 : 670 (Q47,V34)
MGAMT-3 : 710 (Q48,V38)
MGAMT-4 : 690 (Q48,V36)
GMATPrep II :690 (Q50,V33)
MGAMT-5 : 710 (Q49,V38)
GMATPrep II Retake : 730 (Q50,V38)
MGAMT-6 : 750 (Q51,V41)
Veritas free test : 670 (Q51,V33)
THE GMAT : 700 (Q 50,V35)

Test experience:

I just solved 10-15 SCs,CRs and 10-12 DIs before the test day.
The test was at 9.00 AM & the test centre was little far from my home.I was little worried about getting up early in the morning.Hence I had my dinner at 9.00 pm & went to bed at 9.30 pm.I was trying hard to sleep.I thought I will fall asleep as soon as I go to bed.But It wasn't the case.I was just not able to sleep.I saw in my cell phone.It was 10.30pm.I closed my eyes and started counting numbers from 1-100.But it didn't help.The last time I watched in my cell phone..it was 1.30 AM.After that I fall asleep.I thought I am going to sleep during exam.Guys one advice :Never book a morning slot.I had no other option So I had to book the one that was available.

I woke up at 6 o' clock.I had a light breakfast & headed towards Andheri, my test centre along with my mom & dad.The test centre was good.There were three more test takers.We started test 15 minutes before.The essays were ok.I had already read an essay once on the AOA topic I got.I felt little better.The starting was good. Analysis of issue was also good.

I took a break and had a dairy milk and Maza.

In Quant,first few questions were easy.But after 5th question, I started getting harder and harder questions.The difficulty level was higher than the GMATPrep questions.I realized I am performing well.
I took a break after completion of the section & went back to the seat & started with Verbal.

RCs were ok.Even CRs were ok.But SCs were little difficult.Many a times I got confused between two options.After 25th question, I realized I am not able to concentrate properly..I think it was due to the lack of sleep.I was trying really hard to concentrate.I was convincing my mind "Prachi, only few questions are left.concentrate,concentrate,concentrate...otherwise you will repent later"...But all my efforts to convince my mind were in vain.I somehow completed verbal section.

Finally the computer asked me "Do you want to see your score?"I was not expecting more than 660-670 after losing all my concentration during verbal section.I clicked on "yes" & closed my eyes.I was not feeling like opening them to see the score.But then I made my mind opened my eyes.I saw the score 700 (V35,Q50).I felt good.When I started studying I had set my lower limit to 700.I would have felt bad if I had got anything lesser than 700.

I came out of the test centre & thanked my parents.They supported me a lot in those two months.
I owe a lot to BTG community.It was a great help for me.I would like to give my special thanks to BTG members bbalst & arora007 for their help & support during my test preparation.

I wanted to apply to few universities the third round.But it is not possible now.I am planning to apply for programmes starting in January 2012..
Need your best wishes!!
All the best !!!
Attachments
GMATtimer.rar
(191.39 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by prachich1987 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks!
Prachi

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:21 am
Hey Prachi,

Now I remember why u asked me for the document proof thing sometime back..

Congrats!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 am
Hey Prachi nice to see your debrief , congratulations on a perfect 700 . :)
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:57 am
ahh..there comes ur debrief. i was wondering prachi just vanished :D
all the best girl and congratulations.

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members

by bblast » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:26 am
congrats,,proud of u and ur supportive parents, they travelled to mumbai from pune with u ??
nd see me, my dad was pissed when i transitioned all my work to him in the last week of my gmat, :x

btw where in andheri is the test centre ? how was it-describe properly ? i have a house in andheri,,i wont retake the gmat at ranchi,,,bloody co-ordinator gave me a wet laminated board to write, which had an ets header on it :/

I will retake in delhi or mumbai in july,,around 3 monhs from now..
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 am
thanks AIM GMAT, rohu27, gmatmachoman & bblast

@ bblast : The test centre in Andheri is nice.It is in Solitaire corporate park, a very nice area.Most importantly you won't face any power cuts as u did in your test centre at Ranchi.They will also give you good pads to write :)
It takes hardly 10 minutes to reach the test centre from Andheri station.Any other queries??
All the best!!!
Thanks!
Prachi

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by PS2011 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:33 am
bblast wrote:congrats,,proud of u and ur supportive parents, they travelled to mumbai from pune with u ??
nd see me, my dad was pissed when i transitioned all my work to him in the last week of my gmat, :x

btw where in andheri is the test centre ? how was it-describe properly ? i have a house in andheri,,i wont retake the gmat at ranchi,,,bloody co-ordinator gave me a wet laminated board to write, which had an ets header on it :/

I will retake in delhi or mumbai in july,,around 3 monhs from now..
Are you studying at BITS Ranchi?

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 pm
700 with your kind of a split is a great score!! Congrats !!

I will agree that a good night's sleep is very important for a great score.

Thanks for your kind words! I guess helping each-other, learning and sharing makes this community an awesome place.

God bless!!
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaxis » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 am
Congrats Prachi. Great score and all the best wid ur apps.

-Jaxis.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:38 am
Congratulations ! Your efforts paid off. You have been one of the most active members of this community and you well derserved a 700. I remember you had pmed me a couple of days before the GMAT and you seem to be a little nervous and wanted to do more and more material. Haha.

Legendary Member
Followed by:33 members

by bblast » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:55 am
@PS->No mate, i am a business man in Ranchi,

@ arora/rishi/govi,->gmat pill/knewton/.... any prep u would recommend only for verbal ? I have 3 months.
I am around level 35 in verbal(scored 34 in GMAT-1), need a 40 for gmat-II. might get there with some work myself in 3 months, but finding it difficult to study diligently again along with heavy workload :(

Quant I can manage by self study.

@prachi-solitaire business park near cinemax theatre ?metro construction on the western expressway ? i stayed behind that building in mumbai for 2 years.

:roll:
Cheers !!

Quant 47-Striving for 50
Verbal 34-Striving for 40

My gmat journey :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/710-bblast-s ... 90735.html
My take on the GMAT RC :
https://www.beatthegmat.com/ways-to-bbla ... 90808.html
How to prepare before your MBA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upz46D7 ... TWBZF14TKW_

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm
Congrats Prachi.. All the Best for applications.
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by forbidden » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:45 pm
hai prachi,
first of all congrats on this score
i am frm mumbai as well
is there a good coaching institute for gmat in mumbai or nywhere in indya
wt do u sy
also 1 more thing i want to clarify is that i just plan to stick to only the ogs(10th,11th,12th) with respect to verbal nd not try out anything else
will it be fine if i only do the ogs for verbal
awaiting a reply
thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by forbidden » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:21 am
anticipating your reply
prachi

Legendary Member

by prachich1987 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:20 am
@ forbidden : first of all sorry for a late reply :(
I don't think there is any good institute in Mumbai for GMAT preparation.
I joined IMS.But I didn't study anything frm the material IMS provided.Also the IMS Tests are not that good.
For me it was sheer waste of money.

Can you tell me how much you scored in DT & what's your target score?
If you are 100-150 points away from your target score, self preparation would suffice.
BTG is best.You can find some nice questions & excellent explanations here.
Noted that you want to study from OGs
But I would advise you to go through Manhattan SC & powerscore CR bible once.
It helped me A LOT.
Let me know if you have any other queries
Thanks!
Prachi