Microwave heating

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Microwave heating

by schumi_gmat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:35 pm
Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?
A. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
B. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
C. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
D. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
E. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens

OA C
IMO B

Conclusion: Microwave should not be accepted as standard until certified as safe.
Evidence: findings of studies.

I chose B because B was supporting the findings shown by the studies although narrowly.
C exposes the assumption of the argument.

which is the best way to strengthen the argument?

by yogami » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:49 pm
yeah dude I chose B too but its wrong now and I understand why. B simly adds an instance to an already existing premise about accidents. However C solidifies the argument by saying that a stanard appliance should be 100% safe. This will guarantee safety and then pass as a standard
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

Followed by:1 members

Re: Microwave heating

by vinaynp » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 pm
schumi_gmat wrote:Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?
A. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
B. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
C. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
D. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
E. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens

OA C
IMO B

Conclusion: Microwave should not be accepted as standard until certified as safe.
Evidence: findings of studies.

I chose B because B was supporting the findings shown by the studies although narrowly.
C exposes the assumption of the argument.

which is the best way to strengthen the argument?
A), E) are out of scope.
D) weakens the argument.
B) Additional Information. It does not strengthen the argument.
C) is explaining the definition of "standard" appliance, which matches with the content of passage.

hence, my answer C)

by schumi_gmat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:12 pm
B) Additional Information. It does not strengthen the argument
You are right. B is additional information. But isnt the additional information supporting the evidence suppose to strengthen the argument?

or does it mean that strengthening the argument has to strengthen the conclusion of the argument?

by vinaynp » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:34 pm
schumi_gmat wrote:
B) Additional Information. It does not strengthen the argument
You are right. B is additional information. But isnt the additional information supporting the evidence suppose to strengthen the argument?

or does it mean that strengthening the argument has to strengthen the conclusion of the argument?
An additional information need not always strengthen the argument.

The trick is to find the best answer out of the given answer choices (supposedly worst).

One can supposedly argue that B) is strengthening the argument. However, the question that needs to be answered whether B) is strengthening the argument more than C).

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm
B and C strengthen argument. Conclusion says that " some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe."

X wont be accepted until Y happens ... Which means that until micro oven is certified to be completely safe, it cant be regarded as a standard appliance..

Hence, we should start searching which supports this conclusion. The only trick in C is it says " Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
I got confused with the word "ONLY". The author is nowhere stating that safe standards is the only criterion... but as our friends stated B is adding some information and not exactly strengthing the argument as C is doing...
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

by schumi_gmat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:33 pm
Absolutely Correct Guys! Thanks for your help.

The information in B is just the instance of stated fact.
I found in MGMAT guide that -

Incorrect answer could be something that is just a paraphrase or information that is strengthening the premise which is already True.

B does exactly that and hence incorrect.

Followed by:3 members

Method to confirm the answer

by turbo jet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 am
Hi schumi_gmat,

Another sureshot way to confirm that the answer is right in case of strengthening questions is follows:

Use the Assumption Negation Technique wherein we negate the assumption and see whether it undermines the conclusion. The answer choice undermines conclusion is our answer. Although this trick needs to be used sparingly to choose btw 2 close ans choices as it is time consuming.

Lets try it on this example:
As most of us are confused btw 2 close choices B and C,

B. Negate the answer choice.
"There have been no reported incidents...."

What is author's conclusion? Micro ovens should be readily accepted as a standard only when they are completely safe.

Is my negated answer choice B undermining my Conclusion. No. Hence Incorrect.

C. Negate the answer choice.
Absolute safety is not the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as a standard.

Is my negated answer choice C undermining my Conclusion. Yes.. Hence Correct answer..

Hope this method help!!! It works wonders in strengthening qs

Cheers!!
Turbo Jet

:D :D :D :D

Legendary Member

Re: Method to confirm the answer

by aj5105 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:49 am
Turbo,

(B) is the answer not (C).

turbo jet wrote:Hi schumi_gmat,

Another sureshot way to confirm that the answer is right in case of strengthening questions is follows:

Use the Assumption Negation Technique wherein we negate the assumption and see whether it undermines the conclusion. The answer choice undermines conclusion is our answer. Although this trick needs to be used sparingly to choose btw 2 close ans choices as it is time consuming.

Lets try it on this example:
As most of us are confused btw 2 close choices B and C,

B. Negate the answer choice.
"There have been no reported incidents...."

What is author's conclusion? Micro ovens should be readily accepted as a standard only when they are completely safe.

Is my negated answer choice B undermining my Conclusion. No. Hence Incorrect.

C. Negate the answer choice.
Absolute safety is not the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as a standard.

Is my negated answer choice C undermining my Conclusion. Yes.. Hence Correct answer..

Hope this method help!!! It works wonders in strengthening qs

Cheers!!
Turbo Jet

:D :D :D :D

Followed by:3 members

by turbo jet » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 am
Hi Aj,

Just to clarify.
OA is C as mentioned by Schumi above.
Life is Tom; I am Jerry ;)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by joymukhi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 am
Can someone please confirm the answer for this question? Is it B or C please?

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:35 am
whooops! I am sorry!
turbo jet wrote:Hi Aj,

Just to clarify.
OA is C as mentioned by Schumi above.

by xcusemeplz2009 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:44 am
IMO C

because the stimulus is saying that "however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury"

the word is use

but the choice B is insisting on an incident cause by the overuse i.e is superheated.....thats y making it out of scope

whereas

C is supporting the claim by mentioning absoulte safety. i.e safe during normal mode of operation

by schumi_gmat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:05 pm
This answer is C..........GMAT prep question.

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:26 am
came across this question during practice.

I chose B, which is one of the incorrect answers per OE.

My doubt :

Don't you think that C is in fact a necessary assumption and B is a strengthener?

Without C, the conclusion of advocates won't hold much water.

Any help by anyone would be highly appreciated!
Regards,
Harsha