When should I take the GMAT?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

When should I take the GMAT?

by 69schemer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:44 am
I am currently and undergraduate with 1 semester to go. I have taken a semester off to work and get some things paid off, which means I will be graduating in December. With this extra time from working locally, I found myself studying the GMAT to get a head start on this important test. I know I can't officially apply to Grad schools until I get 2 years relevant work experience, but I was wondering, since I have this extra time to study and focus solely on the GMAT, would this be an ideal time to take the test? I know test scores are relevant for 5 years or less depending on the school, but I plan on going to Grad school in no later than 3 years. I was also wondering, I know the multiple choice section of the test has no bearing on outside experiences or anything else for that matter, but since the writing is designed to highlight strengths and weaknesses, does it make sense to talk about something other than work experience? Thanks in advance for any help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 am
The writing portion of the GMAT is designed to test your analytical thinking and how you construct and defend an argument. The content has little or no bearing, only how well you present your thoughts and the process by which you tackle problems becomes evident. As for taking the test, I think you are wise to be tackling this not only when you have time to study, but also when you are still in academic, test-taking mode. This could work in your favor vs. waiting until later when these two contributors are non-existent. It will also force you onto a time table, since you must use the score within 5 years as you indicate, you won't fall into the trap of letting too much time pass before you get around to applying. Just make sure your timing makes sense for your career and to an admissions committee, since a valid reason for going back to b-school should never be "because my scores were about to expire" LoL!
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by 69schemer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 am
That's exactly the response I was looking for. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Adams Baker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 pm
Take the GMAT within 1 year before your enrollment date. While it won't detrimental to take it right now, generally, schools like to have fresh test scores. You can take the GMAT almost any day of the year in most parts of the world. Before you decide to register for the GMAT exam, you may want to check seat availability for a testing location that is convenient for you and determine if that site has available seats.