REAL GMAT QUESTIONS OVERLAP OG QUESTIONS? & SPEED?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
1. Are those questions going to be on the real GMAT too? I do not understand the point of going through the same questions to the point where you memorize all the answers automatically.

If the questions on the real GMAT are similar to the OG, to what extent and at what format are those similar? Is there anyone who could help me stop my bemusement on this?

2.On verbal section, approximately at what speed should I solve CR or RC as compare to SC? I will make myself comfortable in thinking that it is okay to spare more time to do CR. Right now for me it takes 2.6 min to solve one CR question with accuracy of getting the right answer 85%. I know it sounds not so smart. But would anyone give me some advice on the speed on each type?

I appreciate your help.

With lots of love and wish for your GMAT success.

Bob

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
bobMS wrote:1. Are those questions going to be on the real GMAT too? I do not understand the point of going through the same questions to the point where you memorize all the answers automatically.

If the questions on the real GMAT are similar to the OG, to what extent and at what format are those similar? Is there anyone who could help me stop my bemusement on this?
I'm not sure I fully understand your question--but the questions you will encounter on your actual GMAT will not overlap with any questions you review in OG. That being said, the reason why OG is considered the Bible of GMAT prep is that it features real (but retired) GMAT questions. GMAC has a very specific style of writing its questions that no test prep company has ever been able to replicate successfully. From studying OG carefully, you can get a sense of common question patterns that will appear on your actual test. In my case, when I was studying for the GMAT, I made it a point to carefully study OG and be mindful of question patterns; when I sat down for the actual test, I was pleasantly surprised to run two math questions that were virtually identical to two questions I had seen in OG--but with different values.

The big takeaway: it pays to study OG carefully! Doesn't hurt to repeat it either...
2.On verbal section, approximately at what speed should I solve CR or RC as compare to SC? I will make myself comfortable in thinking that it is okay to spare more time to do CR. Right now for me it takes 2.6 min to solve one CR question with accuracy of getting the right answer 85%. I know it sounds not so smart. But would anyone give me some advice on the speed on each type?
I can't really provide advice on the right pace because it varies a lot from person to person. I would suspect though that 2.6 min/CR is too slow of a pace--can you explain why it is taking you this long to answer one question? Do you find yourself re-reading a lot?

My advice for you is to do several practice tests or practice problem sets to get a sense of your pace for each verbal question type. If you feel you are moving too slowly on a certain question type (like CR), I would review some lessons in various GMAT books and experiment with different strategies for answering.

Best of luck to you, Bob! Please keep us updated on your progress, and don't hesitate to post your questions on this forum!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Speed vs accuracy and score

by bobMS » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:11 pm
Hi Eric, thank you so much for your comments.

When I focus on speed, my accuracy suffers. Currently I am studying OG book using my own way of measuring score. For example, today I had 18 questions right out of 31 questions in RC with a speed of 1.90 min per question. I have not taken compture test yet as I plan to do it after finishing OG book. Would you predict my score briefly based on the test above? I am just itchy to assess my status on GMAT but there is no way I can find out from anywhere.

If I solve 100 questions within the time limit-1.45m/per question for verbal,2min/per question for Q, how many right answers should I have to score 600 on real GMAT?

I appreciate your help

Bob

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:40 pm
Hi Bob:

Take a GMATPrep test--this is the best indicator of your current GMAT performance.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school