670 in the GMAT :(

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

670 in the GMAT :(

by ronmehta19 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 pm
Hi,

I have appeared for the GMAT and have secured 670 (Verbal - 38, Quant -45). I am very disappointed with my score (as I was persistently geting 690 or 700 in my practice MGMATs).

However moving on, I wish to apply to apply to one year mba program at a premier institute (who doesn't!!). I have shortlisted a few b schools based on my profile.

Here's my profile in brief

Work Experiece: 4 years in a reputed bank. Of these 4 years have spent 1 year in India and spent the remaining 3 years at a client facing location at well known investment bank in London. Have good experience of coordinating projects, handling IT teams etc.
Hobbies: Adventure sports, fitness freak

Schools on my wish list (one year mba from these institues)

1. London School of business
2. Insead
3. IE business school
4. ISB (Indian school of business)
5. Oxford (said)
6. Cambridge (judge)
7. Esade

I would be keen to know whether there is a good possibility of me getting through to the above b schools (or will I be wasting my time and money applying to these institutes). Or is it advisable that I take the GMAT again.
I have seen a lot of experienced/professional people participating in the blogs on this site and would like their advice on what decision I should take.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by sanjana » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:08 pm
Hey!

I dont see 670 as a bad score at all. You always have to keep that +-20 margin based on what you get in the mock tests. After all giving the real exam is a different ball game.

Given your work-ex, you do stand a good chance in all schools you mention.

I had a 680 and got through IE business school. Got a reject from INSEAD with a feedback saying that they wanted me to work 2 more years and then re-apply. I have 5.5 years of work-ex in IT with just 6 months of International Exp. But, you should stand a good chance with INSEAD because they value International Work-ex highly. So 3 years in London will def help.

I have applied to Said too in R2 and should know in a couple of days if I have an interview call or not.

So, yeah as they all say(including the schools), Gmat is just one of the million other things they look at and hence I dont see that as a big problem!

are you applying for the class of 2013? If you are looking at CO2012, you will be applying in R3 of all schools you have listed which maybe a little of a disadvantage.

by ronmehta19 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:39 am
Hi Sanjana,

Firstly, congr8s on getting through to IE.......it's one of the best!

Thanks for your detailed response.....I intend to try applying for courses starting in early 2012.....Let's see how it goes...keeping my fingers crossed! :-)

Do let me know how it goes on for you with Said.......It is one of the schools I am really interested in.

Thanks again.

Ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:15 pm
Hi Sanjana and Ron,

I appeared for the GMAT and have secured 650. Planning to retake.

Here's my profile in brief:

Work Experiece: 6 years in telecom sector in reputed Indian companies. No international exp.
Community services :Leading many CSR initiatives for my company. Marathon runner.

GPA : Dont know how to calculate but I got 60% in engineering.

I wish to apply to one year mba program at a reputed B school and most of schools providing 1 yr MBA are in Europe.

I am very much concerned about post MBA life and placement from Eurpore schools.I have heard that UK govt is not providing work visa post MBA and most of Europe is facing economic recession.

Can you please share your views.
--------
Ankur mittal

GMAT Score:700-

by klughing » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 pm
sanjana wrote: Got a reject from INSEAD with a feedback saying that they wanted me to work 2 more years and then re-apply. I have 5.5 years of work-ex in IT with just 6 months of International Exp. But, you should stand a good chance with INSEAD because they value International Work-ex highly. So 3 years in London will def help.
You already have 5.5 years of work experience but INSEAD still wants 2 more years? Or is it more like, get more international experience, 2 years if possible, regardless of how long you have been working?
If you won't invest in yourself, why would anybody wants to invest in you?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by GMAT_1986_subha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am
Even there are some good B Schools in ASIA which have good reputation in 1 yr MBA.
For example: ISB, SP Jain (Dubai).

670 in GMAT is acceptable score for those