cr-hw-10-6- take more from me

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

cr-hw-10-6- take more from me

by pradeepkaushal9518 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:52 am
Finding of a survey of patients at County Hospital: Forty percent of all complaints lodged by patients in response to inattentive staff this year were lodged by patients over age fifty.

Results of a search of County Hospital's records from this year: Most of the complaints lodged in response to inattentive staff were lodged by people over age fifty.

For both of the findings to be accurate, which of the following must be true?

A
More patients at County Hospital who have never lodged complaints in response to inattentive staff are age fifty or under than are over age fifty.
B
The percentage of patients at County Hospital that are over age fifty is considerably lower now than it was last year.
C
Most complaints lodged in response to inattentive staff at County Hospital this year were lodged by patients age fifty or under.
D
This year, complaints lodged by patients over age fifty were more serious on average than those lodged by patients under age fifty.
E
This year many people who lodged complaints in response to inattentive staff at County Hospital were not patients at the hospital.
A SMALL TOWN GUY

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:07 am
IMO E.

Finding of a survey of patients at County Hospital: Forty percent of all complaints lodged by patients in response to inattentive staff this year were lodged by patients over age fifty.

The argument says 40% people logged complaint were over age 50 .

Results of a search of County Hospital's records from this year: Most of the complaints lodged in response to inattentive staff were lodged by people over age fifty.

This result of search says that most [that means more than 50% ppl] lodged complaint were over 50 yrs of age.

So now there is discrepancy between the numbers , hospital data says 50% and other result points to most people , so where from came extra people . Option E solves this discrepancy.

Hope that helps.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 am
E seems the only one plausible. Though i did get knocked out before i read all the ans choices.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ksundar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:12 am
IMO its C.

First premise talks about this year's data and the second refers to all the complaints against inefficient staff so far. The option 'C' just restates what is given.

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm
A
More patients at County Hospital who have never lodged complaints in response to inattentive staff are age fifty or under than are over age fifty.
B
The percentage of patients at County Hospital that are over age fifty is considerably lower now than it was last year.
This one says the number of patients of over 50 are lower this year than last year without argumenting on the total number of patients. I feel more data is needed in order to select his choice.
C
Most complaints lodged in response to inattentive staff at County Hospital this year were lodged by patients age fifty or under.
This one contradicts with what is given in passage.
D
This year, complaints lodged by patients over age fifty were more serious on average than those lodged by patients under age fifty. Out of scope since we are not talking about the seriousness of complaints but the number of complaints.
E
This year many people who lodged complaints in response to inattentive staff at County Hospital were not patients at the hospital.

Can someone differentiate between A and E?
Regards,

Pranay

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:760

by nikhilsrl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:05 am
Survey - 40% of the complaints are from patients aged over 50
Records - more than 50% of the complaints are from the patients aged over 50

This is possible if the number of patients who responded to the survey does not represent the patients who actually lodged complaints.

If we look at A - More patients aged over 50 have actually lodged complaints than patients aged 50 or under. This seems the right choice.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 am
I would go with E because in A we dont know how many patients over age 50 lodged a complaint as the second premise states that "most complaints were lodged by people over age 50" out of these people how many were patients we dont have any idea.....................therefore E is the best choice

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:35 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:A
B
This one says the number of patients of over 50 are lower this year than last year without argumenting on the total number of patients. I feel more data is needed in order to select his choice.
C
This one contradicts with what is given in passage.
D
This year, complaints lodged by patients over age fifty were more serious on average than those lodged by patients under age fifty. Out of scope since we are not talking about the seriousness of complaints but the number of complaints.
E

Can someone differentiate between A and E?
A Just seeems to be a paraphrase of the following statistic
I Seek Explanations Not Answers