experts please reply

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

experts please reply

by jainrahul1985 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:50 pm
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.
The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B) Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury.

I know this question has been discussed many times but I am still not sure why A is correct and [spoiler]B/D[/spoiler] wrong . Can some expert please explain using numbers .

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:37 am
B is wrong as it is for *car* not for the *auto*, that the argument requires.

D just affirms the mentioned info, it doesn't bring any new aspect 80% is already more than 50%. A does that.
jainrahul1985 wrote:A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.
The conclusion above is not properly drawn unless which of the following is true?

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(B) Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car.
(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured.
(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents.
(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury.

I know this question has been discussed many times but I am still not sure why A is correct and [spoiler]B/D[/spoiler] wrong . Can some expert please explain using numbers .
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am
A recent survey of all auto accident victims in Dole County found that, of the severely injured drivers and front-seat passengers, 80 percent were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This indicates that, by wearing seat belts, drivers and front-seat passengers can greatly reduce their risk of being severely injured if they are in an auto accident.

I received a PM asking me to comment.

Conclusion: Seat belts reduce risk of serious injury if a driver or passenger in the front seat is in an accident.

Premise: 80% of those who were seriously injured did not wear seat belts.

Assumption: The argument connects those who were seriously injured with all accident victims who were in the front seat. The assumption is that a sampling (those who were seriously injured) = the whole group (all front-seat drivers and passengers who were in accidents.). The correct answer choice will show that the given sampling is representative of the whole group.

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. Correct. This answer choice connects the sampling in the survey (those in serious accidents) to all front-seat drivers and passengers. This answer choice passes the negation test. Negated, answer choice A would say:

Of all the drivers in the survey, fewer than 20% were wearing seat belts.

If this information is true, then more than 80% of the drivers and passengers in the front seat did not wear seat belts and avoided serious injury, invalidating the conclusion that seat belts prevent serious injury. Since the argument falls apart when answer choice A is negated, answer choice A is the assumption: what must be true for the conclusion to be valid.

(B) Considerably more than 20 percent of drivers and front-seat passengers in Dole County always wear seat belts when traveling by car. Outside the scope. The argument makes a conclusion only about front seat drivers and passengers who are in accidents. Driver not in accidents are beyond the scope of the argument. Eliminate B.

(C) More drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey than rear-seat passengers were very severely injured. Outside the scope. The argument is not about rear-seat passengers. Eliminate C.

(D) More than half of the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey were not wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. This answer choice could weaken the conclusion. If most of the people in the front seat were not wearing seat belts, then it's possible that most of the accident victims did not wear seat belts and still avoided serious injury, invalidating the conclusion that seat belts prevent serious injury. Since the assumption cannot weaken the conclusion, eliminate D.

(E) Most of the auto accidents reported to police in Dole County do not involve any serious injury. The assumption is something that must be true in order for the conclusion to be valid. This answer choice does not have to be true. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by tetura84 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Conclusion: Seat belts reduce risk of serious injury if a driver or passenger in the front seat is in an accident.

Assumption: The argument connects those who were seriously injured with all accident victims who were in the front seat. The assumption is that a sampling (those who were seriously injured) = the whole group (all front-seat drivers and passengers who were in accidents.). The correct answer choice will show that the given sampling is representative of the whole group.

(A) Of all the drivers and front-seat passengers in the survey, more than 20 percent were wearing seat belts at the time of their accidents. Correct. This answer choice connects the sampling in the survey (those in serious accidents) to all front-seat drivers and passengers. This answer choice passes the negation test. Negated, answer choice A would say:

If this information is true, then more than 80% of the drivers and passengers in the front seat did not wear seat belts and avoided serious injury, invalidating the conclusion that seat belts prevent serious injury. Since the argument falls apart when answer choice A is negated, answer choice A is the assumption: what must be true for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is A.
A is still not clear to me.
If we negate A, it is,
of ALL the drivers, fewer than 20% were wearing sear belts.
So, more than 80% were NOT wearing seat belts.
Among them, we can have people with serious injury and non-serious injury. Did not get how they are avoiding serious injury.
78 clicks can change my life !

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am
tetura84 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

The correct answer is A.
A is still not clear to me.
If we negate A, it is,
of ALL the drivers, fewer than 20% were wearing sear belts.
So, more than 80% were NOT wearing seat belts.
Among them, we can have people with serious injury and non-serious injury. Did not get how they are avoiding serious injury.
Plug in that 100 in the survey were seriously injured.
According to the argument, 20 wore seat belts, 80 did not.
Negated, answer choice A would say that perhaps only 10% of all the drivers/passengers wore seat belts.
Since 20 = 10% of 200, we could have 200 total in the survey, 20 who wore seat belts, 200-20=180 who did not.
Since 80 did not wear seat belts and were seriously injured, and 180 in total did not wear seat belts, 180-80 = 100 did not wear seat belts and avoided serious injury.
Thus, a majority of those who did not wear seat belts would have avoided serious injury, invalidating the conclusion that seat beats prevent serious injury.
Since the scenario above invalidates the conclusion and is possible when answer choice A is negated, the argument is assuming that answer choice A is true: that more than 20% of the people in the survey wore seat belts.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by amaelle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am
@GmatGuruNy

Thanks a lot for your explanation, but i need to discuss this further under a numerical example as i'm not really convinced by answer A.

if we consider a sample of 100 accidents 20 are grave and 80 are non grave.( as no indication can prohibit to make such a hypothesis)

*16 drivers and front seat passengers gravely injured are thus without belt (80% out of 20)
*4 are those gravely injured and wore belt during the accident. (20% out of 20)

on the other hand i supposed that 90% of those that weren't seriousely injured didn't wear a belt during the accident while 10% wore it.
this give me

*72 not seriousely injured without belt
*8 not seriousely injured with belt

at the end we have
16+72=88 without belt
4+8=12 with belt

12/100= 12%

i think that having such figures do not undermine the conclusion but make from answer A an unnecessary assumption.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Many thanks in advance

Ama

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 pm
amaelle wrote:@GmatGuruNy

Thanks a lot for your explanation, but i need to discuss this further under a numerical example as i'm not really convinced by answer A.

if we consider a sample of 100 accidents 20 are grave and 80 are non grave.( as no indication can prohibit to make such a hypothesis)

*16 drivers and front seat passengers gravely injured are thus without belt (80% out of 20)
*4 are those gravely injured and wore belt during the accident. (20% out of 20)

on the other hand i supposed that 90% of those that weren't seriousely injured didn't wear a belt during the accident while 10% wore it.
this give me

*72 not seriousely injured without belt
*8 not seriousely injured with belt

at the end we have
16+72=88 without belt
4+8=12 with belt

12/100= 12%

i think that having such figures do not undermine the conclusion but make from answer A an unnecessary assumption.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Many thanks in advance

Ama
Your figures do indeed undermine the conclusion.

The conclusion of the argument is that wearing a seat belt will help an accident victim to avoid serious injury. With your figures, 72/100 = 72% of the accident victims were able to avoid serious injury without wearing seat belts. If a majority of the accident victims did not wear seat belts and were able to avoid serious injury, how can the argument claim that seat belts reduce the risk of serious injury?

Your figures -- which represent a negation of answer choice A -- invalidate the conclusion, thus proving that answer choice A is the necessary assumption: what must be true for the conclusion to remain valid.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3