2nd attempt from 640 to 730

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2nd attempt from 640 to 730

by wahaha1 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:40 pm
Tried again after 1 month and 2 weeks. 1st attempt got 640, AWA 5. 2nd attempt 730. Now I am done with the test. Scoring 750 or 770 no longer make sense to me. I am going to sell my GMAT Prep books on ebay.

I was too nervous this morning that I only put in 1 school and clicked next, then I could never go back to the school selection screen. I could not add the other 4 schools, the administrator promised to help talking to the ETS about this and see if they could let me add more schools, but oh well.., the worse case is to pay more $$ for this.

One of the AWA question I am not quite sure about, but I don't quite care about AWA score here.

The Math is easier than expected, I was so worried that I've answered something wrong that results in the easy questions. I got score of 50 (95%), less than what I expected.

Verbal is generally easier than what I expected. I can understand the 3/4 RC, as oppose to those difficult RCs in the GMAT Prep. Reasoning questions are more difficult and trickier. I spent quite a lot of time on reasoning questions.

Timing allocation is very important. Last time I did not have enough time for Verbal and I missed at least 10 questions.

This time, I tried to stick with the 50-25-25 strategy. ie., for math, 12 questions in first 40 mins (50 mins left), then next 12 for 25 mins, the rest for 25 mins. For verbal, 14 questions in first 40 mins, next 14 for 25 mins and the rest for 25 mins. For verbal, I could not stick to the time well for the first 40 mins and 25 mins session (fall short of 3-4 questions). But given the painful experience last time, for the last session, for the last RC where I skimmed twice but still cannot grasp a good understand, I tried to do that part quick, leaving the time for SC and RC questions. Eventually I have 30 secs left for my test.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:47 pm
Awesome work! Congrats!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:55 pm
Awsome job! I'm having a little trouble on the RC section. I noticed you mentioned something about the 3/4 RC. What does this mean?