Re-taking the GMAT, NOT sure of next steps

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re-taking the GMAT, NOT sure of next steps

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT last August and I scored a 610. I am planning to re-take in the next 2 months (just started studying again); however, I am not sure how to study this time..I am solving with the new OG, but I feel I am only solving, not sure how to maximize my learning outcome.

I am trying to categorize my mistakes, I am weaker in questions that involve: probability, cylinders and rectangular cubes, and number properties and sum of long expressions. What is the best way to solve exercises that revolve around specific topics?

Regarding English, I am not sure how to study either..I know practice is the best way, but I am not sure how to put a study plan and make sure I maximize the lessons I learn from the exercises I solve..

I am aiming for a 660-any help would really be appreciated! Fed up with this whole gmat thingy!!!!however, doesnt make sense to change program (MBA) just cuz of a silly exam......

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:44 am
Through your post, I can sense your frustration with the GMAT .However,if you ask me your situation is not as bad as it seems to you. Firstly, you already have scored a 610 which is not a bad score and secondly you are not aiming for something which is unreasonable or beyond your reach. 660 is quite attainable if you follow the right strategy and right now the strategy which you're following is not correct and seems like you also have sensed that it is not beneficial. Instead of directly moving to the official Guide to practice questions, you should strengthen your concepts first. That is a MUST . If you go through my debrief, you will see that in my first attempt, I also did what you are doing-practise and totally ignored concepts and that's why got doomed. For Verbal, you should not straightaway move to the Official Guides,rather you should arm yourself with the arsenal so that when you move to the OGs you are able to tackle questions properly. Did you refer any book for sentence correction or critical reasoning ?

Followed by:2 members

by Ashish321 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:47 am
Thouraya wrote:Hi,

I took the GMAT last August and I scored a 610. I am planning to re-take in the next 2 months (just started studying again); however, I am not sure how to study this time..I am solving with the new OG, but I feel I am only solving, not sure how to maximize my learning outcome.

I am trying to categorize my mistakes, I am weaker in questions that involve: probability, cylinders and rectangular cubes, and number properties and sum of long expressions. What is the best way to solve exercises that revolve around specific topics?

Regarding English, I am not sure how to study either..I know practice is the best way, but I am not sure how to put a study plan and make sure I maximize the lessons I learn from the exercises I solve..

I am aiming for a 660-any help would really be appreciated! Fed up with this whole gmat thingy!!!!however, doesnt make sense to change program (MBA) just cuz of a silly exam......

Thouraya , i can undertand you frustation for the Exam . A lot of my friends , who have scored past 700 , have at time felt the frustation even during the Prep time . At times , writing Mock Exams and not improving can lead to frustation . But as you have yourself said that one cannot alter the course just because you feel frustated with GMAT .

Frankly , GMAT is not that tough an exam , from my perspective . A good dedicated month or two for preparation will keep you in good stead .

Coming to your concerns , get hold of some good Quant books like MGMAT which are shighly structured . For instance , if you feel weak in Numbers or Geometry , they have , as you must be aware , distinct books for each of these Modules . You can get hold of them . You can complete each of those books in not more than 2-3 days , but the benefit that you will get out of them will be enormous .

As far as Probability and Permutation Combinations are concerned , that can be a headache . I had a phobia for them since School days . I did not even touch them during my GMAT Preparation , and still managed to score a 50 in Quant .I would say that you can leave a topic or two , which you are not getting hold of . There is no point in wasting unnecessary time on something which is causing you a lot of trouble . But , you need to make sure that you get the rest of the topics on your tips .

Coming to the Verbal part , have you got hold of MGMAT SC ? If not , please do . The book is immaculately structured . Each lesson has reference to the OG Questions . So , as you go through the lessons , simultaneously you can solve the questions in OG. Make an Error Log and ensure that you go through it once a week . That will ensure that you do not commit the same mistake twice.

Good Luck for your preps for a retake , and just hang in there!

Thanks!

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 am
Hi Eternal Optimist and Ashish,

I really appreciate your posts. Your replies are so optimistic and soothing, which already makes me want to re-consider things and give them some more thought..

When I studied in August, I studied in the Princeton, Kaplan, and OG. The Princeton as you probably know is over simple, the Kaplan I found to be really good for explaining the concepts; their exercises have a slightly different approach than the actual exam. This time, I bought the new OG (red), and I am solving in it (felt that the explanation of concepts is clearer than those found in the older one (orange)) but from what I can see, Manhattan seems to be the clearest of them all. So I am going to buy the Manhattan today just to make sure I understand the essence of the concepts.. Will study with it and hopefully find things more clear..Ashish, I'll follow your strategy of not losing time on one single topic and focus well on the rest..will let you know which one I choose, most likely, it is going to be either the probability/permutations or the rectangular cubes and cylinders:)

Eternal Optimist, I will go through your debrief now hoping to gather some more optimism:) Will keep you both posted, thanks a lot again!!

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:59 am
For Manhattan there are: Foundations of math, strategy supplement, geometry, number properties, and reading comprehension. I order the SC one cuz they don't have it. Shall I buy all of them? or is there a preference?

by Ashish321 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:31 am
Thouraya wrote:For Manhattan there are: Foundations of math, strategy supplement, geometry, number properties, and reading comprehension. I order the SC one cuz they don't have it. Shall I buy all of them? or is there a preference?
Hi Thouraya ,

Regarding your concern for Rectangular cubes and Cylinders , go through Manhattan Geometry Guide once . Believe me they are simple stuff. All you need to do is read through the guide ( that will not take make than 2 days) and learn a couple of formulas . I am sure it will be a breeze for you.

Actually , i don't think that the Foundations of GMAT Math Strategy Supplement is worth buying , since you are already at 610 level .

You can go through the link below

https://www.manhattangmat.com/Store.cfm

Except the "Fourth Ed. - Fractions, Decimals, & Percents GMAT Prep Guide" all the other Manhattan Quant Guides should help you out . The reason that i dont recommend the 'Fractions, Decimals, & Percents GMAT Prep Guide' and 'Foundations of GMAT Math Strategy Supplement' guides stated is because they are just too simple.

Among Manhattan Verbal Guides , MGMAT SC is a must have . As far as MGMAT RC and CR Guides are concerned , i found them not more than Average. Reading Comprehension is more about practise , in my view , rather than strategy .

For CR , you can have a look at PowerScore CR bible.

Thanks!

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:42 am
Hi again Ashish, took note of your recommendations and will buy the books accordingly..

I am good at CR and average/above at SC..But will def buy the SC Manhattan for additional knowledge..

Do you have a specific recommended way to practice RC? I feel odd reading all the texts in OG, it is so boring:( plus not sure how much this would help me take the real strategies/lessons behind them..

Thank You!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:40 am
Hi,

I suggest the following. It may well be a repitition of what is already suggested by others.

For math, like said above, please don't worry too much. Your score suggests you are at an ok level. The OG practice must help you enough. Try to solve the problems in the BTG math forums. That should certainly be enough for a 660 score.

Regarding Verbal: Address each section separately.

1) RC: The Aristotle material seem to be good. I have not read about anyone not liking it. Many 750-ers seem to have used it. Even if you make a few mistakes, you should still be able to work towards 660 with this.

2) CR: Try out the Aristotle LSAT compilation. If it does not work for you, pick up the powerscore bible.

3) SC: Manhattan all the way! And again, if you want additional practice, buy the Aristotle SC grail or atleast the question bank.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by Ashish321 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am
Thouraya wrote:Hi again Ashish, took note of your recommendations and will buy the books accordingly..

I am good at CR and average/above at SC..But will def buy the SC Manhattan for additional knowledge..

Do you have a specific recommended way to practice RC? I feel odd reading all the texts in OG, it is so boring:( plus not sure how much this would help me take the real strategies/lessons behind them..

Thank You!!
Yes , as you said , the RCs are always boring , and they are for everybody :)

The only way to improve RC is to read a wide variety of stuff. That is what i am targeting for my retake as well . Read everything that you hate :) . It may sound odd , but those are the kind of passages that you will find on the GMAT - ranging from American Hitory to Astronomy to Genetics . All one need is to get accustomed to these kind of passages .Just spend 20 minutes everyday on a couple of RCs from any source , and there will be a significant improvement by the time you are ready to take the GMAT.

RC 99 from Aristotle is a good source , and it is cheap as well ( around 15$ ) . So you can get hold of that .

by Thouraya » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:54 am
Thank you!!Just added it to the list ;-) Good luck