by yellowho » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 pm
Why is B wrong?
Attachments
K2 CR-13.JPG

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by manpsingh87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:18 pm
yellowho wrote:Why is B wrong?
Conclusion: People have more money to spend on vacation then they did five years ago.

Premise: The cost of transatlantic airfare has nearly doubled over the past five years, airlines are doing booming business.

Now i have to look at the answer option which supports the conclusion.

Lets consider option B, it states that there are few airlines in existence today than five years ago, this might be cause by various factor one of them might be that airlines might have been facing losses due to lesser number of travelers, and only people that are currently using the services are business man or the government officials whose expenses are paid by their respective employers. As it also opposing the conclusion so we can eliminate it as well.
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Followed by:2 members

by yellowho » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:34 pm
I dunno. I think you are introducing new info. into this. The fact that there are fewer airlines can be because of any reasons. To me this fact is irrelevant. Neither weaken or strengthen.

[quote="manpsingh87"][quote="yellowho"]Why is B wrong?[/quote]

Conclusion: People have more money to spend on vacation then they did five years ago.

Premise: The cost of transatlantic airfare has nearly doubled over the past five years, airlines are doing booming business.

Lets consider option B, it states that there are few airlines in existence today than five years ago, this might be cause by various factor one of them might be that airlines might have been facing losses due to lesser number of travelers, and only people that are currently using the services are business man or the government officials whose expenses are paid by their respective employers. As it also opposing the conclusion so we can eliminate it as well.[/quote]

by manpsingh87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:58 pm
yellowho wrote:I dunno. I think you are introducing new info. into this. The fact that there are fewer airlines can be because of any reasons. To me this fact is irrelevant. Neither weaken or strengthen.
manpsingh87 wrote:
yellowho wrote:Why is B wrong?

Lets consider option B, it states that there are few airlines in existence today than five years ago, this might be cause by various factor one of them might be that airlines might have been facing losses due to lesser number of travelers, and only people that are currently using the services are business man or the government officials whose expenses are paid by their respective employers. As it also opposing the conclusion so we can eliminate it as well.
hi, i believe option B statement is too open and it can be interpreted in many ways, and i've just represented one such way of interpreting it..!!! and i can highlight other ways if you want to..!!!!
O Excellence... my search for you is on... you can be far.. but not beyond my reach!

Followed by:2 members

by yellowho » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:00 am
Hi manpsingh,

That was my point. It's open-ended. Since this is an EXCEPT question. THe correct answer Does NOT weaken. B doesn't do anything and there for falls under the category of NOT weaken.

by manpsingh87 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:08 am
yellowho wrote:Hi manpsingh,

That was my point. It's open-ended. Since this is an EXCEPT question. THe correct answer Does NOT weaken. B doesn't do anything and there for falls under the category of NOT weaken.
Hi, but i did highlight the fact that actually weakens it... see my point is when to choose answer choices always select the one which is good among the available lot, i mean it doesn't need to be perfect..!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 am
B doesnt prove anywhere that people have got more money now that they are traveling...........

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:03 am
aspirant2011 wrote:B doesnt prove anywhere that people have got more money now that they are traveling...........
Good point aspirant2011.
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:54 am
@yellowho : I have read what you have written carefully and tried to get into your brain :) . In my opinion, if an answer choice B may weaken the argument , this will be considered as weaking AC. The one which does not weaken will not weaken by any means.

However, if this were a weaking question, i will keep this as a contendor until no better/stronger answer choice is met.

B introduces a new possibility -not the vacation by passengers but less compettion/high volume led to more profit - for conclusion to be true, and that weakens the argument. makes sense ?

by cyrwr1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 pm
is E the answer?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:20 pm
IMO E
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student